Sansui AU-719

bhaskarcan

Hi All,

Last week found this Sansui AU-719 Int. Amp. in Kolkata. Frm the serial no. 829 0 4132 it looks like built in 1980. All the Parts inside are original. Cosmetically not very clean...but sounds great. No problem with power up/protection. DC offset & bias current adjusted as per service manual. Runs much cooler than my previous amp.

Need all the Guru's & FM's advice on cleaning & further maintenance.

719front.jpg

719top1.jpg

719power1.jpg

719power2.jpg

719top2.jpg

719driver2.jpg

719equibrd.jpg

719frntcircuits.jpg

Thanks & Brgds

Bhaskar

Congrats Bhaskar!!! it's a real beast with a power output of 90 Watts @ 8 ohms. AU 719 uses separate regulated power supplies for each channel. Adjusting DC offset & bias current is a must for all vintage amps.

You can clean the cabinet with MINCREAM available at any leading hardware or departmental stores. If the cabinet is too dirty you may have to apply 2 - 3 times. Use Isopropyl alcohol to clean Chassis & pc boards.

Regards,
Anil

Last edited:
Good to see lots of people loving vintage stuffs now a days. People have started to realize the value of these vintage beauty. AU 719 is one among those beautiful amps produced by sansui and one of my dream amplifier ....................................................... and how much are you selling for?:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

wow! the insides ARE CLEAN!

that's a lovely find!

don't do anything to it!

just clean all the apeaker binding posts and the connectors with WD40 and let it dry for a bit.

then use MIN Cream on the front plate etc... it should sparkle!

Congrats bhaskarcan.
I agree with manav. Insides look clean. just air blow dust if any. Not sure but looks like one knob is missing. For that you can try ebay usa.
Regards

@Anil & @Manav : thanks a lot. Is MIN cream is same as Brasso?( It's readily available in local market)

@Hiten : The silver thing is a headphone connecter & not a broken knob.

@soundofmusic : I'll let u know first when I get an AU-919.:eek:hyeah::clapping::yahoo:

Thanks & Brgds,

Bhaskar

This amp is from the gloden age of Audio when products were made real solid with lots of devotion and now what we find are all chepoos from China !!

Very difficult to get "Made in Japan" products anymore...........

Hi all,

Gd Morning. Can anyone suggest any equivalent replacement for "Deoxit" contact cleaner that is available locally in Kolkata/India.

Thanks & Brgds,

Bhaskar

Hi all,

Gd Morning. Can anyone suggest any equivalent replacement for "Deoxit" contact cleaner that is available locally in Kolkata/India.

Thanks & Brgds,

Bhaskar

I have seen electrical contact cleaner sprays in both electronics
and industrial electrical shops. However, I have no idea if they
are harmful to other components or if they are the non-residue type.

I faced lot of contact issues while working on a vintage Marantz.
I cleaned the contacts with Johnson ear-buds dipped in
iso-propyl alcohol.
For some selector switches etc which are hard to reach, I
just injected in iso-propyl alcohol using a 5ml syringe and
operated the switch many times. Works quite well now and
all contacts are fine.

There are a couple of very useful threads on AK.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=207005

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=266269

bhaskar
cannot say if they are equivalent but WD40 and zorrik 88 works for me. Also would advice to use them as little as possible as sometimes they damage the heavily used pot tracks. Surround the pots with little piece of cloth so as it doesn't spread on pcb which eventually will gather dust and grime.

@Quad @Hiten : Thanks for ur promp replies. I've always known WD-40/ Zorrik88 to be the best contact cleaners, as they are regularly used on the electrical switch boards on board merchant ships( highly humid environment). But after going through few of AK threads came to know that they are in fact a big NO for HiFi audio equipments. Deoxit is advised to be the best, but unfortunately it's not available in India. Hence was looking for some alternatives. The main problem here is Residue &/or Corrosive property of the cleaner. I've noticed greenish deposit on the RCA connectors of my SME tonearm, which also needs some residue free cleaner IMO.

Brgds

Bhaskar

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back