Sansui D95M Rebuild

greenhorn

I got this tape deck in non working condition, and absolutely nothing worked.

I'm not even sure why I'm putting time into this, but the transport looked rather well built, and I felt that after putting some time into it, despite the abuse, I could make something of it. The attention to detail in the transport is amazing.

For example, in the loading mechanism, most decks have some sort of friction damper with silicone oil. This one has a string that goes via a set of gears which drive a small flywheel, and onto a spring. For an Opening mechanism!

The deck seems to have been totally abused. The idler wheel was worn out, the motor and head were non original, and the motor's speed was not stable.

The motor seems to be busted, because it was making noises when I turned it manually. The head was wired incorrectly, one of the leaf springs for the mechanism was broken, the tape counter was rusted solid... the list goes on.

But the transport was otherwise a bit advanced. even though it was a piano key transport, it had solenoid activated stop and timer start. Took it apart, regreased the whole thing, new idlers, belts, sanded away the rust.. Virtually a full rebuild

Then comes the final test, and I find out that It wouldnt stay in play mode. Seems the slot that keeps the tape in play mode is worn out that it doesnt stay fixed, and slides down when pressure is applied.

Now to find a file and make that edge straight again. I thought I'd have the transport up and running today to sort out the issues in the electronics. Guess not today. The transport comes apart again...

Anybody interested in pictures?

Just posted this to keep track and to provide some entertainment for the curious ;)

I'm not able to find a service manual for this deck, so if anyone could provide some pointers for these issues, would be much appreciated (I know its there on ebay us, cant be bothered to spend that much money!)

Give me the model no and I will try to search for a service manual. In the meanwhile pictures, pictures, pictures!!! :)

Vinod

PS: I am searching.......

Last edited:
the model number is in the title

The front of the deck

Inside - not too pretty

Motor and flywheel

Transport

The broken leaf spring. Because of this, stop/eject was stuck in stop - you could not eject

The rusted solid tape counter

Guess what's wrong here!

The flywheel for the loading tray

This is the slot for the piano key lever. the edge in the centre has slightly worn off, so it doesnt remain in play. Needs to be filed a bit. Another weekend perhaps

Last edited:
OMG! never seen anything in such a poor state, before. all the very best for your restoration, can't wait to see the finished product.

anybody know any shops in chennai that do acrylic cutting?
Need to fabricate a replacement lid for this thing

Dont know why there aren't any service manuals for these low/mid end sansuis. I have a Sansui D90, as well, can't find the manual for that either!

Last edited:
I searched and searched and searched. At least 4 hours of dedicated searching. No free manuals available. Sorry. I would have gone thru at least 20 sites. Most of them do not seem to have this model.

However, will still be on the lookout for this model.

Vinod

Thanks vinod. My searches were equally unfruitful. All i got was the user's guide for the D100, and a service manual for a much higher end machine (SC Series). at least it helped me figure out the head pre connections - there are three per channel instead of 2. Unlike most decks where one side of the head is grounded, and the other side is switched by the rec/pb switch, this one has both terminals switched. Asking for trouble if you ask me. Twice the potential to go wrong, since this switch is usually what creates problems the most!

Thanks vinod. My searches were equally unfruitful. All i got was the user's guide for the D100, and a service manual for a much higher end machine (SC Series). at least it helped me figure out the head pre connections - there are three per channel instead of 2. Unlike most decks where one side of the head is grounded, and the other side is switched by the rec/pb switch, this one has both terminals switched. Asking for trouble if you ask me. Twice the potential to go wrong, since this switch is usually what creates problems the most!

Anyway to be honest, most of what you have said went above my head. :D

I do understand the basics of a tape deck, have potted on many of them for basic troubleshooting. But I am no service tech!

But I am not giving up yet, hopefully I will get you your service manual.

Got these from ebay
10pce set of assorted 140x3mm diamond needle files | eBay
the files were totally worth it. though not diamond files as claimed, in a few minutes, i had filed the rounded edge flat, and the play mechanism locking into place firmly on engaging. Most people would have junked the transport.
Now to start reassembling. Too lazy to do the whole thing today. Will update!

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back