SB Duet priced lower at Amazon than at the SB site

hi george,

the bummer is that it was $299 for a while back then they bumped it up a few days back :sad:

regards

Fantastic piece of kit, the duo - receiver and the handpiece (remote), wish I had bought it before taking the plunge on Classic.

Good luck for helium and steven for getting closer to buy the duet ?

:)

if you have iphone or ipod touch, you can do with ipeng app that can work similar to wifi remote of duet. Plus classic has better looks and has a display too.

regards

Fantastic piece of kit, the duo - receiver and the handpiece (remote), wish I had bought it before taking the plunge on Classic.

The color display of Duet in your hand is far better than the Classic remote, IMO.

I always use the PC remote anyway.

How good is implementation of the Wolfson DAC on the SB Duet? For best SQ, do we need to use another external DAC say Beresford Caiman?

How good is implementation of the Wolfson DAC on the SB Duet? For best SQ, do we need to use another external DAC say Beresford Caiman?

The Wolfson on the Duet is a step-up compared to the Classic and if you're the one who listens to mostly internet radios, then an external DAC is not needed at all for the Duet, the stock DAC will make you happy.

But, if you want to use Duet for only streaming your FLAC, WAV, etc., from your PC or NAS, then an external DAC with the Duet can ONLY make you happy, on par with cd quality. Otherwise, your FLAC/WAV will sound lifeless, less dynamic, etc.

IMO

Yeah, thats something I wanted to know too. Hows the Burr Brown dac s audio quality?

As i said, Burr Brown/Wolfson stock DACs in the Classic/Duet are extremely good for internet radio and noncritical listening. But, if you're serious about your music, then an external DAC is the way to go.

I compared the Burr Brown in my Classic feeding FLAC to the 2 x Wolfson in my 640c V2 feeding CD (same song), and the 640 wins hands down. So, I guess an external DAC can get closer to the original cd reproduction.

thanks vinod :) will probably be a while... just picked up an ipod 160gb for 12k :) once i get it next week will figure out quality through it/laptop/external hard disk. exploring my options. i had played a wav ripped through eac and it was pretty amazing! so i can probably route money to other needed purchases first... the wav file sounded terrible then i figured that the laptop volume control was way down hehe.

regards

anm and mahiruha,

could you'll post a detailed note on how one goes about making the ipod touch (anm) and the nokia (mahiruha) work as the handheld remote? this means one can see songs and cover art on your phone/ipod touch, switch, forward etc?

thanks!

Let me summarize my understanding:
to play stored music on your hard disk, squeezeboxes require a squeezecenter server on a desktop, or a laptop or a fairly capable NAS box. I personally hate this as it needs another computer running to play the music. HDD can not be attached directly to squeezebox. Hope this would change with new squeezebox touch.

So to play stored music, the commands from remote actually go to the squeezecenter server. Server changes the song and the squeezebox simple plays what it gets streamed from the server.
Server (squeezecenter) also has a web server built in, and has web pages customized for handhelds. So if you can point your handheld's browser to this internal url, you can see the entire library, browse and search. Cover art may also be displayed.
ipeng is a "custom browser application" for ipods that can talk to squeezecenter server and usability may be better.

regards

anm and mahiruha,

could you'll post a detailed note on how one goes about making the ipod touch (anm) and the nokia (mahiruha) work as the handheld remote? this means one can see songs and cover art on your phone/ipod touch, switch, forward etc?

thanks!

A typical Classic/Duet setup for loseless.

Unbenannt201.jpg

anm and mahiruha,

thanks!

Also there is an App within iTunes called Remote which can also help you control music on your PC. Only pain being it only supports controlling your Library in iTunes, So I've got everything converted to APL.

Hi Steven,
now figured out how to configure SBC in my phone. Actually haven't used SB for long time so it kind of went into oblivion. Now the thing once squeezeceter is loaded click the information tab under settings. There you will find something like.

Server IP Address: 145.168.1.105
Server HTTP Port Number: 9000

In your phone browser you need to type in the web address

http://145.168.1.105:9000/handheld/

and it will take you to squeezecentre and you can do everything. It also displayes cover art pretty well.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back