Schiit Bifrost Review

audiodelic

Been listening to the Schiit Bifrost. I might not have golden ears but i could tell the difference in my first listen. Over the days i have been listening to my system twice the hours i normally do, so that's a good sign!

Bifrost has a more cohesive non oversampled sound almost giving the music that analogue whole body tube sound which gets lost in some overly detailed dac's including Caiman. But its also on the warmer side of the spectrum compared to the Caiman but i wouldn't call it lacking in detail. Apart from the sound signature and cohesion, the biggest difference was treble refinement extremely clean smooth sound with Bifrost maybe something to do with power supply regulation. There were files i used to find too bright with my Caiman and Emotiva Combo.

The warm Bifrost has paired well with the neutral sound of the Emotiva. With the Caiman everything was hyper detailed and layers of separation in the sound. With the Bifrost non oversampling sound, details are there, the music has a cohesive sound with smooth high's. I am definitely finding the improvement worthwhile, considering the fact that i paid 16k for the caiman, paid 28k for this its not a major jump in budget.In the world of diminishing return in high end audio not too bad :eek:hyeah:

http://www.tonepublications.com/review/the-schiit-bifrost-dac/
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/schiit2/1.html

Last edited:
Nice review, thanks. A more details about the track used for the review and whether you have performed any A/B test.
One thing that you mentioned is really interesting and worth considering is that the separations is there but more cohesive. So, although they are separated still sounds very much of the same music piece.

Congratulations!

Is this model available for purchase from a dealer in India? or did you get it from someplace abroad?

Thanks,
APK

Been listening to the dac and i must say its sound is as smooth as creme brulee, it is definitely easier to listen for long durations as compared to my Caiman. High frequencies sound so much cleaner. Forgetting about the electronics and tapping to the groove of the music is the biggest perceptible difference for me.

I paid about $450 for it as it includes usb. Must say there is substantial difference between the digital inputs and usb. Schiit clearly states on its site, usb is a mcdonalds burger in the world of gourmet grilled burgers and i totally agree with it.
With my system i can clearly tell the difference between the two input's people with high end system's should definitely not use usb. There might be better usb implementations out there but im sure the best ones cost a bomb. I like it so much i might just try to sell this in the forum and tell my friend to get me the Schiit Asgard next time he is coming down from u.s.

Last edited:
Been listening to the dac and i must say its sound is as smooth as creme brulee, it is definitely easier to listen for long durations as compared to my Caiman. High frequencies sound so much cleaner. Forgetting about the electronics and tapping to the groove of the music is the biggest perceptible difference for me.

Has to be! He is Mike Moffat my friend. Just an example what he can do within a tight budget of $349(w/o usb) :eek:hyeah: Enjoy!!!

And very soon I will also be romancing with this beauty :licklips:

With my system i can clearly tell the difference between the two input's people with high end system's should definitely not use usb. There might be better usb implementations out there but im sure the best ones cost a bomb.

You would have done well buying the non-usb version and going for the M2tech hiface II for the USB-to-S/PDIF. They are great for the job.

Congrats audiodelic on your purchase :)

Can you post some pictures of the bifrost.

cheers
NAveen N

Congrats on your purchase, but why would you like to sell if you like it so much and asgard is a headphone amp, right? and what would you replace the dac with? just curious to know.

. I like it so much i might just try to sell this in the forum and tell my friend to get me the Schiit Asgard next time he is coming down from u.s.

Congrats on your purchase, but why would you like to sell if you like it so much and asgard is a headphone amp, right? and what would you replace the dac with? just curious to know.

Schiit has a higher end Dac called Asgard and it cost's around $750 without usb.

Hi, you must be referring to the upgradable Gungnir dac @ $749? There is no mention of any asgard dac, that's why got confused. Anyway good luck on the upgrade.

Schiit has a higher end Dac called Asgard and it cost's around $750 without usb.

I paid about $450 for it as it includes usb. Must say there is substantial difference between the digital inputs and usb. Schiit clearly states on its site, usb is a mcdonalds burger in the world of gourmet grilled burgers and i totally agree with it.
With my system i can clearly tell the difference between the two input's people with high end system's should definitely not use usb. There might be better usb implementations out there but im sure the best ones cost a bomb. I like it so much i might just try to sell this in the forum and tell my friend to get me the Schiit Asgard next time he is coming down from u.s.

where did you buy it from?

Koushik,

Schiit is based out of US only.they display the shipping charges when you checkout on therir website.

cheers
NAveen N

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back