Schiit Bifrost Review

Koushik,

the price of the DAC(non usb version) is $349 and in addition the shipping is include.they give you 3 options to choose which are mentioned below.

Ship Service (USPS Priority Mail International) $57.97
Ship Service (USPS Express Mail International) $73.48
Ship Service (FedEx International Economy) $170.70

hope this helps :)

cheers
Naveen N

welcome koushik :)

customs in india is always something un predictable.Sometimes we dont get charged anything and sometimes the customs is as close to the CP of the product.All depends on luck :)

cheers
NAveen N

^^ That's the best way of going about it. Have it mentioned in the invoice as a "USB Digital to Analogue Converter Device for Computer" and you'll most likely escape getting hit, or if you at all get hit, it will be minimal. The description is true too!

Good idea, but I don't want the USB version. For that I am saving $100, what do you think, will the custom be more than that value (INR 5500)?

USD 349+58 = $407
What could be the max custom on this value of Electronics-Audio category?

A follow up to my initial review of this dac. The sound has now settled into a smooth, somewhat rounded cohesive warm sound.

Some things i like better in the Bifrost include warm and lush sound, better refinement in highs, cohesive and analogue sounding non oversampled sound.

With the caiman everything is uber detailed, but i to listen psychedelic trance and there are so many elements in this music that the beresford has too much seperation between all the elements that it almost sounds disconnected, falls behind in cohesive sound which is really important to give you the music as a whole.There are some simpler music where one might prefer the over detailing in the Caiman. But in treble refinement the Bifrost is way ahead.

I prefer the Bifrost with my Emotiva/Ascend Sierra combo, it gave it that warm smooth sound to my system, i found the system too bright with the Caiman. I have recently added an SVS SB12 NSD. Will post a brief note on that after some listening.

Next is room acoustics which i think will be the biggest difference for the sound in my room.

I recently had a chance to do an A/B listening of Musical Fidility M1 DAC and Squeezebox touch where both connected to a CA 651A Amp.

Connections,

A= Squeezebox touch >> Digital out >> M1DAC >> CA651A
B= Squeezebox touch >> Analogue out >> CA651A

I was expecting a lot difference when switching between two, but to my surprise it was not much difference. It was a complete disappointment,

I could experience a bit smooth bass and mids when switching to M1Dac while playing FLAC/WAV/MP3. I will be going once again for an audition for a more detailed understanding why a 1000$ DAC not giving a fairly good competition to a 200+$ touch that do duties more than a normal DAC.

By the way is there anyone happen to listen/compare Schiit Bifrost with Musical fidelity M1DAC?

Similar Experience here with the following comparsion

1) HTPC OnBoard Sound -> Exposure 2010S2
2) HTPC -> Co-AX digialout -> HIFIDIY DAC -> Exposure 2010S2
3) HTPC USB -> Schiit Modi -> Exposure 2010S2

For my friend everything sounds the same . To me the HIFIDIY Chinese DAC is bit more 3D , but Schitt modi and Motherboard audio sounds the same . It was really a disappointment .

I recently had a chance to do an A/B listening of Musical Fidility M1 DAC and Squeezebox touch where both connected to a CA 651A Amp.

Connections,

A= Squeezebox touch >> Digital out >> M1DAC >> CA651A
B= Squeezebox touch >> Analogue out >> CA651A

I was expecting a lot difference when switching between two, but to my surprise it was not much difference. It was a complete disappointment,

I could experience a bit smooth bass and mids when switching to M1Dac while playing FLAC/WAV/MP3. I will be going once again for an audition for a more detailed understanding why a 1000$ DAC not giving a fairly good competition to a 200+$ touch that do duties more than a normal DAC.

By the way is there anyone happen to listen/compare Schiit Bifrost with Musical fidelity M1DAC?

My experience with any source is that, you should listen to the new source for atleast 20-25 hours over a week or so and then go back to your older source. You will get to hear the difference, if any, more clearly and understand better.

Source grows on you in time, not immediately.

I think I will have to agree you on this .

But i feel i may fail in a blind test . I think i feel the difference when knowning what is connected as source

My experience with any source is that, you should listen to the new source for atleast 20-25 hours over a week or so and then go back to your older source. You will get to hear the difference, if any, more clearly and understand better.

Source grows on you in time, not immediately.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back