Schiit Gungnir: my experience, my dilemma

Today I had a little conversation with Jason Stoddard (from Schiit) about using transport of different price range to use with DAC. I asked that same old question whether I can use a cheap DVD player with a DAC to get a decent quality audio? I think it will be worthy to share the conversation with my fellow members. Take your own conclusion and decision accordingly.

To understand the matter fully, please go to the Gungnir link page first and read about Clock regeneration system, VCXO, VCO and BBG LED (Buy Better Gear LED) features & FAQ of Gungnir.

Schiit Audio, Headphone amps and DACs made in USA.

Read also the FAQ page.

The conversation started quoting an incident that I experienced during my fortnight ownership of Gungnir -

Me- "Dear Jason, I did not mention it earlier, but now I think it may be relevant. During my fortnight ownership of Gungnir, I found on some occasion, when I just powered on the source (Marantz NA7004) the buy better gear (BBG) LED came on instantly (I powered on the GUNGNIR first), before music yet to be played. Is not it little awkward to lit the buy better gear LED even before music being played or before audio signal being processed? However at that condition if I cycled back through different audio inputs by pressing the input selection switch in front of Gungnir, then it used to come off. Is it also due to the noise by the bad transformers? This incidents not happened every time but a quite few time I experienced this. I hope you have a better explanation."

Jason replied- "BBG is related to the clock frequency and jitter of the SPDIF carrier. It does not have to have music playing for it to come on. It sounds like the source may be off-frequency."

Me- "I need a clarification after what you told about BBG. If BBG does not come on, then output quality from Gungnir will be same for irrespective of whatever source gear I use? For example, if I play particular CD using a $100 DVD Player and $1000 CD Player through Gungnir and if BBG remain off on both case, would the output from Gungnir be same quality on both case?"

Jason replied- "Correct."

Me- "Your opinion is quite different than my experience. May be my previous DAC (Audio-GD FUN) was not equipped with signal reclocking system like Gungnir, So it's output quality always changed with source gear.

So as a transport the $100 player and a $1000 player basically same if the signal pass through Gungnir with BBG remain off ?!?! That's a quite revolutionary opinion. Now we can save money on source gear (if it is played through DAC like Gungnir). Right?
"

Jason replied- "Performance of the clock regeneration system (not just reclocking) is invariant when using VCXOs, so yes. Gungnir is VERY different than most DACs. VCOs will depend slightly on the incoming signal, but it will not vary much with source, either--it's just less precise."

My conclusion is, according to Jason if the signal is locked by VCXO of Gungnir it's no matter whatever source transport is used output from their DAC will be same. If VCO is used and BBG LED comes on then output of the DAC will slightly become dependent on incoming signal from the transport. Now everybody is free to make their own conclusion.

this seems intrested.. if true...

we can chuck buying a decent optical out of expensive sound card and use onboard else use cheaper transport...

I have ordered a Bifrost and my friend (american) would be carrying it when he comes here in 1st week of November via Hongkong flight.

Since I have ordered a USB model, I have asked him to carry this unpacked along with his Laptop. Will he need to pay customs duty at the airport?

Are there any tricks to avoid the customs duty.

Request experienced FM's to guide.

Regards,

I have ordered a Bifrost and my friend (american) would be carrying it when he comes here in 1st week of November via Hongkong flight.

Since I have ordered a USB model, I have asked him to carry this unpacked along with his Laptop. Will he need to pay customs duty at the airport?

Regards,

i have the same query..any suggestions guys..??

Regards,

I think if it falls within the INR 35k limit then there should not be any problem with customs. And most of the small items either in hand baggage or check-in luggage are overseen by the custom officials. And having the invoice in the hand for the indicated price and assuring them that it is for personal usage will not attract any customs. No tricks with the custom officials, in fact with straight forward approach you are better of to avoid any sort of custom duties. Even if the baggage is marked for cross checking with customs then just open and show them the items and you have every right to tell them that the price is less than the limit and for personal usage.

srisaikat : have you got your DAC back from the service yet?

its nearly a month you posted and since i am into the market for a new DAC myself i am getting a little restless in choosing one :)

srisaikat : have you got your DAC back from the service yet?

its nearly a month you posted and since i am into the market for a new DAC myself i am getting a little restless in choosing one :)

No, not received yet. But it is on the move. They shipped it and just got the tracking number. Provably will take a week more to reach.

Hi,

For those who use Borderlinx service, I have a coupon code for 15% discount on shipping charges valid for 1 time and till 6th November, 2013. If anybody (seriously) is going to import any thing from USA or UK through borderlinx within 6th November, please pm me for the coupon code. However I am not sure whether it will work for other registered user of Borderlinx also. But try your luck if you interested. I will send it to all whoever pm me for with in 7 days, but remember to get the discount you have to be the first person to use it. The one who would successfully use the discount coupon please let me know after immediately.

Best regards

I just received my Gungnir yesterday in safe and sound condition. Problems are seemed to be solved as they replaced the whole main board. Now there is no humming even at 210V. I am happy. It need some burning now as all Schiit Audio products take quite time to settle up. They also reimbursed me the courier charges I paid to Borderlinx for return shipping. It took quite some time to address the issue but at the end of the day I am deeply impressed by their service.

Last edited:
I just received my Gungnir yesterday in safe and sound condition. Problems are seems to be solved as they replaced the whole main board. Now there is no humming even at 210V. I am happy. It need some burning as all Schiit Audio product takes quite time to settle up. They also reimbursed me the courier charges I paid to Borderlinx for return shipping. It took quite some time to address the issue but at the end of the day I am deeply impressed by their service.

Congrats and nice customer service...

I just ordered my Gungnir. My only beef w/Schiit is that they don't offer the option of a black case (all my equipment is black), thus once I get it, I will either have the case anodize black, or go the cheap way and spray paint it.

Looks aside, after reading the various reviews and forums I settled on three very good possiblities within a similar price range:

Eastern Electric Minimax Plus
Schiit Gungnir
PS Audio Nuwave

All three are very fine DACs with a warm quasi analog sound (I'm big on LPs via Rega P5 Turntable w/Benz Micro Glider cart, E.A.R. 834P phono stage w/Mullard tubes) and plenty of detail, which is what I get in spades from my vinyl rig. I decided on the Gungnir because all things being equal, the modular upgradability when upgrades become available at an affordable price, is very appealing to me.

I plan to use the Gungnir as a preamplifier as well, in that I will connect my Rega Planet CD player as transport, my LG Blue Ray DVD player's audio out, and my Sony 200 CDs carrousel, and the computers around the house as remote music servers using some type of USB wireless adapter. The output sections of the DAC will feed analog bliss to my two veri different amps: the Korneff 45 SEi using 45 tubes @ 1.5 wpc, and the B&K receiver at 100 wpc.

I can't wait to get my hands (and ears) on the Gungnir.

I just ordered my Gungnir. My only beef w/Schiit is that they don't offer the option of a black case (all my equipment is black), thus once I get it, I will either have the case anodize black, or go the cheap way and spray paint it.

Looks aside, after reading the various reviews and forums I settled on three very good possiblities within a similar price range:

Eastern Electric Minimax Plus
Schiit Gungnir
PS Audio Nuwave

All three are very fine DACs with a warm quasi analog sound (I'm big on LPs via Rega P5 Turntable w/Benz Micro Glider cart, E.A.R. 834P phono stage w/Mullard tubes) and plenty of detail, which is what I get in spades from my vinyl rig. I decided on the Gungnir because all things being equal, the modular upgradability when upgrades become available at an affordable price, is very appealing to me.

I plan to use the Gungnir as a preamplifier as well, in that I will connect my Rega Planet CD player as transport, my LG Blue Ray DVD player's audio out, and my Sony 200 CDs carrousel, and the computers around the house as remote music servers using some type of USB wireless adapter. The output sections of the DAC will feed analog bliss to my two veri different amps: the Korneff 45 SEi using 45 tubes @ 1.5 wpc, and the B&K receiver at 100 wpc.

I can't wait to get my hands (and ears) on the Gungnir.

"use the Gungnir as a preamplifier" How is it possible? Gungnir have no volume control to use as a preamp. It's just a simple DAC. Would you please explain?:confused:

Yes, the Gungnir has no preamp/ volume control. So directly hooking it up with a power amp is out of question.

For last few days I was comparing Marantz NA7004 with Schiit Gungnir. The surprising fact is, if one judge them only by the term of details, they are too close. The output gain of NA7004 is little more, so it makes immediate attention. At the lower side of the spectrum NA7004 is thicker than GUNGNIR, hence sounds little foggy or hazy, but GUNGNIR is defined there. Also NA7004 sounds saturated, and that is the main reason it lost the fineness and delicacy to GUNGNIR at least when you hear rock or hard Rock genre of music. So now I know why I feel immediate fatigue with NA7004. Digital Harshness or ringing is another criteria which one can attach more comfortably with NA7004 than GUNGNIR. With all those one may think that they are very different, but it is not. Details are same but little difference in presentation makes all those fuss. A few alteration inside NA7004 by experienced DIY guys may settle it well with GUNGNIR.

Last edited:
If that was so easy, Marantz would have already done that!

I am not too sure, Marantz may want to keep their house sound which they think right. One can not tell which is universally accepted as there are different preferences and tastes.

Last edited:
so does it make sense to spend more on Gungnir if they are too close and similar sounding ?

Back