Schiit Gungnir: my experience, my dilemma

srisaikat

After reading all most all articles about Schiit and their designer Mike Moffat I decided to pull my trigger towards Gungnir. Now here is my story which I like to share with fellow fm in hifivision.

You know Gungnir have 2 models, one for 115V and another for 230V. Naturally mine was 230V, but in India our standard domestic voltage is 220 and generally varies from 200 to 250 at least in my locality. After arriving Gungnir I found there is humming noise coming out through my speaker at most of the time of a day, but not always. During middle of night to early morning Gungnir was playing normal, without any noise. Now you can imagine my mental condition :sad: as so much money and effort were involved to bring it in India. So I emailed Jason (Schiit Co-founder) about the problem, he pointed towards the ground loop or due to any other faulty appliances. But my logic was, I never faced such noise with my Marantz NA7004 or Audio-Gd FUN. I bought Gungnir just to replace the Audio-Gd FUN. If everything else is same as before then the problem must be with Gungnir. But I was clueless. So after couple of sleepless days and nights with many types of tips and tricks (from a friend of mine) I completed my inquiry. I had a voltage regulator (Variac) from which I can get any voltage from 200 to 250V any time of a day at my wish.

Now if you go by book, there is no problem with Gungnir as it was 230V model, there is no humming at 230V or even at 225V. But problem starts below 225V or to be precise at 221V. This humming noise was coming out only from it's single ended output, the Balanced output was dead silent as it should be at any aforesaid Voltage. So I report it back to Jason, he seems to be convinced with my inquiry and later Alex (their Operational Manager) mailed me that they will thoroughly investigate this aspect (about 230V model) of Gungnir and do the appropriate changes in Voltage regulation design as demanded by practical field (countries with 220V). I mailed them, there should not be such problem as other international renowned brand who rated their equipments with 230V but have no such issues at as low as 200V like my previously owned NAD, DENON, Marantz, Emotiva, Audio-Gd.

After many discussion they agreed to replace my unit after necessary correction to their voltage regulation design. The entire shipping cost from India to USA (return and reshipping) will be covered by their company. That was very generous service offer a customer can imagine from any company. So I have just sent it back to Schiit.

Now I am coming to the sound quality of Gungnir. Before sending it back I managed to tune an old Voltage stabilizer of a neighbor to get 225 to 245V to operate the Gungnir normally. I get only about 10/12 days for trial before shipping it back to USA.

Here is my impression-

My Marantz NA7004 is now almost sounding like crap after spending 10 days with Gungnir, now I stopped listening music through Marantz, it is now only used as source as a Network Player to browse through music titles and to get the coax out. Audio-Gd FUN some how better than Marantz but not as highly resolving as Gungnir. My entire Rock collection became live with Gungnir which were not listenable before specially with Marantz. My listening area was almost confined with Jazz or such type of slow pace music with Marantz and Audio-Gd FUN. But I am telling you again Audio-Gd Fun is more listenable and has more merit than Marantz NA7004 if you compare their DAC section only. But Gungnir is far advanced than both. With Gungnir, music presentation is much pleasant and sensational that I can not describe with words (it is much more than texture and hidden details). I think it reveals the hidden spirit or emotions behind a music file with true details and analog impression.

Now practically I am feeling so bad without my Gungnir, thought to spend my leisure only with movies, no music until get the Gungnir Back. Jason offered me for a refund along with shipping cost, but I preferred replacement as I have strong doubt if there is any other DAC available which will push the sound quality that much within that budget of Gungnir. Now I have to spend a painful month crossing my finger till it's return. Hope everything will be ok.

Last edited:
So now you are part of Shiit's development team! For real :)

Thanks for your write up, for your interesting investigation and diagnosis, and subsequent contribution to the product. Wishing you may get your Gungnir (how on earth to pronounce that?) very soon. Whilst their response to customer has been great, they might have let you keep the old one until receiving the new!

The fact that you are sticking with this product, despite problems, is the best "good review"

Thanks for sharing your feedback.

Gungnir is getting rave reviews all over.
I had this in mind for a long time.
Had it included a preamp I would have bought it quite sometime back. I badly needed it along with a HT bypass option.

BTW, good customer service from Shiit.

I always loved their website and if this is their customer service.. then.. may their tribe increase..

mpw

Nice writeup Saikat. How much was the landed price for the Gungnir in India? Will you have to face another round of customs, when they ship the replacement to you?

SS - was the difference in SQ clear to you immediately when you tried A/B testing by switching the two dacs quickly, or did you realize the big difference after you listened to gungnir for few days and then switched back to other das?

After reading all most all articles about Schiit and their designer Mike Moffat I decided to pull my trigger towards Gungnir. Now here is my story which I like to share with fellow fm in hifivision.

You know Gungnir have 2 models, one for 115V and another for 230V. Naturally mine was 230V, but in India our standard domestic voltage is 220 and generally varies from 200 to 250 at least in my locality. After arriving Gungnir I found there is humming noise coming out through my speaker at most of the time of a day, but not always. During middle of night to early morning Gungnir was playing normal, without any noise. Now you can imagine my mental condition :sad: as so much money and effort were involved to bring it in India. So I emailed Jason (Schiit Co-founder) about the problem, he pointed towards the ground loop or due to any other faulty appliances. But my logic was, I never faced such noise with my Marantz NA7004 or Audio-Gd FUN. I bought Gungnir just to replace the Audio-Gd FUN. If everything else is same as before then the problem must be with Gungnir. But I was clueless. So after couple of sleepless days and nights with many types of tips and tricks (from a friend of mine) I completed my inquiry. I had a voltage regulator (Variac) from which I can get any voltage from 200 to 250V any time of a day at my wish.

Now if you go by book, there is no problem with Gungnir as it was 230V model, there is no humming at 230V or even at 225V. But problem starts below 225V or to be precise at 221V. This humming noise was coming out only from it's single ended output, the Balanced output was dead silent as it should be at any aforesaid Voltage. So I report it back to Jason, he seems to be convinced with my inquiry and later Alex (their Operational Manager) mailed me that they will thoroughly investigate this aspect (about 230V model) of Gungnir and do the appropriate changes in Voltage regulation design as demanded by practical field (countries with 220V). I mailed them, there should not be such problem as other international renowned brand who rated their equipments with 230V but have no such issues at as low as 200V like my previously owned NAD, DENON, Marantz, Emotiva, Audio-Gd.

After many discussion they agreed to replace my unit after necessary correction to their voltage regulation design. The entire shipping cost from India to USA (return and reshipping) will be covered by their company. That was very generous service offer a customer can imagine from any company. So I have just sent it back to Schiit.

Now I am coming to the sound quality of Gungnir. Before sending it back I managed to tune an old Voltage stabilizer of a neighbor to get 225 to 245V to operate the Gungnir normally. I get only about 10/12 days for trial before shipping it back to USA.

Here is my impression-

My Marantz NA7004 is now almost sounding like crap after spending 10 days with Gungnir, now I stopped listening music through Marantz, it is now only used as source as a Network Player to browse through music titles and to get the coax out. Audio-Gd FUN some how better than Marantz but not as highly resolving as Gungnir. My entire Rock collection became live with Gungnir which were not listenable before specially with Marantz. My listening area was almost confined with Jazz or such type of slow pace music with Marantz and Audio-Gd FUN. But I am telling you again Audio-Gd Fun is more listenable and has more merit than Marantz NA7004 if you compare their DAC section only. But Gungnir is far advanced than both. With Gungnir, music presentation is much pleasant and sensational that I can not describe with words (it is much more than texture and hidden details). I think it reveals the hidden spirit or emotions behind a music file with true details and analog impression.

Now practically I am feeling so bad without my Gungnir, thought to spend my leisure only with movies, no music until get the Gungnir Back. Jason offered me for a refund along with shipping cost, but I preferred replacement as I have strong doubt if there is any other DAC available which will push the sound quality that much within that budget of Gungnir. Now I have to spend a painful month crossing my finger till it's return. Hope everything will be ok.

Hi I just ordered the bifrost, now I am worried I am going to face the same problem that u faced, any suggestions guys :(

Hi, I had spoken to Jason of Schiit about the same issue and he said that it was a case of one faulty transformer ... not all of their products will face the same issue...
you should not be worried...

Dear Sir

I think they are using a linear power supply and regulator

one of the power supply filter capacitors in the unregulated supply line

is probably having lower value capacitance than what is marked on the can.

the unfiltered ripple is probably causing the hum , it would have been

worth a try to change the capacitor in unregulated input , after

the transformer secondary and rectifier diode and see if the hum goes away

old audio amps have this problem when the electrolyte in the filter

capacitor dries up, if this does not cure it then some transformer windings

may be shorted leading to lower secondary voltage , nice of they to take

care of freight

Robert Bose

I must say that the more I hear such stories, one realizes how good American companies are with customer service.
I too had a problem last month with an online upgrade that went wrong from the US. The company sent me two SSD hard drives as replacements (64 gb and 256 gb) at their cost and helped me get back on track.

I already told you that after sending the Gungnir for service in US, now Marantz NA7004 seems to be very average dac, I lost all my attraction to it. Now after some try I give up listening NA7004. Gungnir just changed the class in me. For your information and update, Schiit has sent me the amount which I paid to return the Gungnir to USA through Borderlinx. The latest status is, the entire mainboard of my unit was replaced and now at the stage of testing and burn in. They will arrange the reshipping through boderlinx on their cost. So no headache for me. Now I am waiting for it to return.

Jason replied me with a mail that after my incident they have added a standard procedure (voltage related humming) to test their units before final packing. So you should not worry about ordering any unit from Schiit.

I already told you that after sending the Gungnir for service in US, now Marantz NA7004 seems to be very average dac, I lost all my attraction to it. Now after some try I give up listening NA7004. Gungnir just changed the class in me. For your information and update, Schiit has sent me the amount which I paid to return the Gungnir to USA through Borderlinx. The latest status is, the entire mainboard of my unit was replaced and now at the stage of testing and burn in. They will arrange the reshipping through boderlinx on their cost. So no headache for me. Now I am waiting for it to return.

Jason replied me with a mail that after my incident they have added a standard procedure (voltage related humming) to test their units before final packing. So you should not worry about ordering any unit from Schiit.

Thats called customer service :clapping::clapping:

I guess not only big companies from india but also from abroad have to learn from this and provide such service to a genuine issue

This is not about company being american or european, more to do with their philosophy

I already told you that after sending the Gungnir for service in US, now Marantz NA7004 seems to be very average dac, I lost all my attraction to it. Now after some try I give up listening NA7004. Gungnir just changed the class in me. ...

Hi Srisaikat, since you have used both Audio-GD and Schiit, how would you compare the two? Of course, the Gungnir model is in a difference price range, but it would be very valuable to know your thoughts and comparisons between the two.

(P.S. I ended up buying the NFB 15.32. It was a very hassle-free transaction, and also like Kingwa and Audio-GD stands for)

Thanks,
Arun

Schiit Gungnir vs Audio-GD FUN

I also like what Audio-Gd stands for. But NFB 15.32 is their entry level DAC and Audio-Gd Fun version-A also just comes nearly at half the price of Schiit Gungnir. So a fair comparison may not possible. But on absolute terms of audio quality, Gungnir is sweet, transparent and detailed without any brightness (at least with my system). It reminded me my teenage when I used to enjoy music through a lots of LPs. The best part is Rock music collection has become enjoyable after many years with Gungnir. It reveals inner spirit and texture so nicely that it sounds very real without hurting ears.

On the other hand Audio-Gd (in this case my "FUN" version-A) always try to remain in "neutral" and "analog" zone (but never dull) which reminds me very high quality cassette decks of 80ts used to come with high end heads (glass crystal ferrite). No digital harshness I ever experienced with FUN. It sounds always polished and cultured, but it come short in term of details if you compare to Schiit Gungnir. I cannot say for sure but story might get different if you buy their higher end dac like NFB-1.32 or NFB-2.32 (I will not dare to mention their most prestigious dacs like Master-7 or NFB-7.32 as the price become little insane). I have a dream :licklips: to be an owner of their higher end DAC, but it will not be possible :sad: at near future for obvious reason.

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back