Schiit Modi 3 with Tidal

MQA is basically a scam. Proprietary encoder to get more money from manufacturers and users. Feedback on sound quality are mixed at best so there isnt any real benefit from the extra cost. Only reason it's its around is Tidal insists on putting their high res streams behind this proprietary format. Qobuz doesn't have this issue. If Spotify gets into high res or Amazon gets serious, i guess Tidal will be forced to drop it
I have done extensive comparisons between MQA encoded files and regular non MQA files.

As usual, when done well, it's breathtaking in terms of the naturalness of the music. Seems to strip away quite a few layers of dirt.

But then there are many MQA files which use a generic algorithm as opposed to algorithms where all original recording parameters were known and the process was able to be done bespoke basis. These generic MQA files gave it a bad name - one of the reasons, in my opinion why MQA is subject to controversy.

I have done extensive comparisons between MQA encoded files and regular non MQA files.

As usual, when done well, it's breathtaking in terms of the naturalness of the music. Seems to strip away quite a few layers of dirt.

But then there are many MQA files which use a generic algorithm as opposed to algorithms where all original recording parameters were known and the process was able to be done bespoke basis. These generic MQA files gave it a bad name - one of the reasons, in my opinion why MQA is subject to controversy.
A couple of questions:
a) What proportion of MQA files are "proper" with the control you highlighted?
b) Have you compared there proper MQA files to high res flac (which is what its replacing) in your tests?

A couple of questions:
a) What proportion of MQA files are "proper" with the control you highlighted?
b) Have you compared there proper MQA files to high res flac (which is what its replacing) in your tests?
About 70-80% from tidal

In the early days it was the opposite, so many stores stopped selling MQA recordings and that's when it got a bad name.

Yes comparison with hi res...but max upto 24/192 as that's the limit in my system

By the way many MQA files unfold to that resolution.

There is no Schiit DAC with MQA..they have categorically said that MQA is a scam and they won't support it even in the future.

i know but i only mentioned that part since thats how i found this forum and tbh scam or not if its better its better like i said i dont want to spend 1 - 2k on a set up thats not future proof for at least a few years meaning i looking for options that has all bells and whistles, sadly MQA support is very limited.

I use a hiby R3 with Mojo and the difference between Non MQA vs MQA is obvious... (But it depends on the HPs u use though... wide soundstage makes noticable difference)....The difference seems pretty clear to me when i listen to the original music scores.. Try urself Interstellar, Moana or any other Instrumental music...
I use hiby as the MQA decoder then let mojo do the DAC job....
I feel much complete with DSD format vs MQA... The instruments kinda feel much alive, fuller, richer... (so does the faults in the recording if any which deeply annoys) with the same HP...

I use a hiby R3 with Mojo
hiby R3 yeah thats the issue with me i want desktop things non-portable, my son is infamous to take anything that looks like a tablet or phone to play with. ive looked at the chord mojo it might be good as everyone say but its so ugly unless it can be hidden away.

if i would go you're route id probably go for a Cambridge audio Dacmagic heard thats supposed to be very good as plus ppl told me it can also upsample the music if i listen to a low quality file which might be useful when sitting on youtube also it looks really nice

im using the Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 250 ohm

"(so does the faults in the recording if any which deeply annoys)" oh i noticed that already and atm my set up is far from complete so i can only assume how it will be when im done

My requirements are this.

Good dac that supports everything on the market or at least most things. or alternative route i know i wont be able to get "everything" always have to sacrifice something unless i rob a bank to be able to afford it hahaha

enough power in the amp to drive most headphones on the market. been looking at Schiit magnius but i heard it sucks on the single ended side.

everything being non-portable.

everything controlled from PC, it would annoy the hell out of me to have to look away from the PC while in a game or something.

hiby R3 yeah thats the issue with me i want desktop things non-portable, my son is infamous to take anything that looks like a tablet or phone to play with. ive looked at the chord mojo it might be good as everyone say but its so ugly unless it can be hidden away.

if i would go you're route id probably go for a Cambridge audio Dacmagic heard thats supposed to be very good as plus ppl told me it can also upsample the music if i listen to a low quality file which might be useful when sitting on youtube also it looks really nice

im using the Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 250 ohm

"(so does the faults in the recording if any which deeply annoys)" oh i noticed that already and atm my set up is far from complete so i can only assume how it will be when im done

My requirements are this.

Good dac that supports everything on the market or at least most things. or alternative route i know i wont be able to get "everything" always have to sacrifice something unless i rob a bank to be able to afford it hahaha

enough power in the amp to drive most headphones on the market. been looking at Schiit magnius but i heard it sucks on the single ended side.

everything being non-portable.

everything controlled from PC, it would annoy the hell out of me to have to look away from the PC while in a game or something.
How about ifi neo idsd? If it suits your budget ofcourse.

How about ifi neo idsd? If it suits your budget ofcourse.
That looks awesome not sure i like the design of it would prefer black but the way this seems to perform it seems like it could be a worthy sacrifice plus could always spray paint it xD

right after my previous post I did some more digging and kind of fell in love with the "SMSL SU-9" would you say it is better or worse then the ifi neo idsd? they seem quite similar specc wise unless im missing some important part

the benefit of the Ifi is that its dac and amp combined but the amp dont seem to be overly powerful "only" balanced 68.6 mW (@ 600Ω) and unbalanced 17.6 mW (@ 600Ω) which to me who dont know jackshit dont sound like much.

But maybe power isnt that required these days, one store i talked to said that the "Meze Audio 99 Neo" smoke most high end brands in terms of price to performance at the moment which seems confusing to me

Last edited:
My experience with MQA / Hires / CD quality / Compressed :

Tidal MQA has a noticeably higher level (read amplitude) compared to their CD-quality songs.
Mastering is more important. The well-mastered song will sound fantastic on CD quality. However, MQA can sound even better with some stuff.
Comparing a specific song with the various formats on a blind test is not always the best way to test. We can hear the difference at some places in songs we know very well.

The compressed audio is not a replacement for uncompressed. Dynamic range is important when we have the equipment to backup.

There is no Schiit DAC with MQA..they have categorically said that MQA is a scam and they won't support it even in the future.
I tend to agree here. I have heard MQA (via laptop) over my IFi Zen and compared it to Tidal (very high quality) over Schitt Modi 3, and I have to say the Schitt sounds better.

Tried both with Rega>Fyne F302/Polk RT4. The Schitt sounds better. Every time.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back