Schiit Modi Multibit Now in India

Finally the Schiit Modi Multibit arrived.
To be honest, all my excitement died away.. :sad:.It was not even working at par with the normal modi 2 I had, which had stopped working four months ago. As a backup I had to listen to Fiio D03k these days. It was my first DAC before the modi2 and was lying in the cupboard ever since after modi2 had come eighteen months back. I could realize that these four months, though I was listening to Fiio D03k, my listening sessions had reduced gradually. I don't know why...It was not the case when my modi2 was working. However I do have the memory and feel of how modi2 used to sound.

First 1 minute:
Well as soon as it started, there was nothing special I felt. Rather it sounded coarse.

Next 5 minutes:
Kept on changing few tracks. Somehow it started to stutter, the signal was getting lost for half-a-second randomly. Switched off and again on my wifi router, checked the toslink cable, restarted everything again. Stuttering reduced, atleast it seemed to be reduced or gone away....
Sound was still coarse.

Next 15 minutes:
Sounded still same...coarse. Just a little more present but nothing to be proud of.
Stuttering randomly came back again. Started feeling disappointed about my decision whether it is really worth it. The size and everything same as normal modi 2 so wondering what is special that they have done.
The stuttering made me totally dis-heartened. Thought to give a call to customer care and inform that there is something defective in the product. But thought i will inform next day.

Next 30 minutes:
Started changing tracks frequently. None of them I listened for more than half a minute to one minute.
I could recall my feelings that whenever we tend to frequently change tracks, its not a good sign. Was feeling a bit sad and to be honest did not like the DAC so far.
I also recalled that something similar had happened to me when I had changed my speaker cables to chord silver screen cables.

I just thought to leave it alone for some time and do my other work. My high hopes had already burnt... I had never found any good reviews, forget good reviews, I never found any reviews about this multibit dac on the internet and possibly that's why this DAC is not good, people have not purchased it much and hence reviews are also not there. It was just a chance and gut-feeling that I had purchased this without any concrete and substantial reviews.. was regretting that I had made wrong decision..

I lowered the volume and let it alone for more burn in....hopes and enthusiasm were already severely burnt...:sad::sad::sad:

amit.
I think the device you got is faulty, kindly raise the issue with customer service and get a replacement. It's unlikely to be worse than M2U (the whole thread on headfi has positive reviews), though you can't rule out a poor implementation by a overconfident schiit team.

Thanks for the honest review, probably there won't be many people buying it in this forum...

Please hold on guys for any conclusion .. I saw the recent posts just now.

I think I should have posted later impressions a bit earlier, immediately after some burn in. To be honest I am liking it after burn-in of few hours. I will post further impressions in some detail today after some time....bottom line is I am now liking it :)... I think was too quick to post first impressions without reasonable burn in.

amit.

You need at least 100 hrs. Also you should not switch off the dac. It should be left on 24 hrs. I have owned the Yggdrasil so am assuming all Schiit multibit dacs will exhibit similar behaviour

Please hold on guys for any conclusion .. I saw the recent posts just now.

I think I should have posted later impressions a bit earlier, immediately after some burn in. To be honest I am liking it after burn-in of few hours. I will post further impressions in some detail today after some time....bottom line is I am now liking it :)... I think was too quick to post first impressions without reasonable burn in.

amit.
I think most FM's were surprised by the use of the word 'stuttering'. :)
Glad it worked out for ya.

amit11, you may want to try Schiit directly into the Yamaha amp without the tube buffer.

amit11, you may want to try Schiit directly into the Yamaha amp without the tube buffer.
Yes..had tried that today morning and removed the tube buffer.

However immediately after 10 minutes of listening put it again in the chain. I think ever since ( four months back) i tasted tube buffer, i like music via tube only....

You need at least 100 hrs. Also you should not switch off the dac. It should be left on 24 hrs. I have owned the Yggdrasil so am assuming all Schiit multibit dacs will exhibit similar behaviour

+1 to this. At least in Yggy, the chips need to reach thermal equilibrium for optimal performance. Not sure the same applies for modi. I have a dedicated ups for my Yggy to counter frequent power cuts in Bangalore.

:clapping: Good to know that you are happy now.

So How is the improvement over M2U ? Multibit surpassing the M2U Or just its a Hype:eek:hyeah: created for Multibit DAC's.

Overall impression after six hours of burn-in (or rather burn-in of my ears and mind): :rolleyes:
Its a mixed feeling so far. Feeling better than the first negative impressions.
Some songs I enjoyed more than modi2. Some songs I enjoyed more in modi2.
Some songs sounded plain and without emotions. As if the DAC was sterile and analytical. May be I need to wait for more burn-in.
Whether it is better than modi2 and worth spending the extra money? Cannot comment now because it is still a mixed feeling. But one thing for sure, it is a 'bit' different than modi2.
One more thing for sure, whether you like the presentation or not, whether you find the presentation colored or not, you will definitely feel it more 'natural', more 'open' and more 'relaxed'. An essence of R2R.

Tonal balance:
Mid range as compared to modi2 is more prominent and more clearer.
Highs have been 'showered' pleasantly. No harshness.
Lows - Similar to modi2, nothing extra special. (Had read somewhere that bass is tighter than modi2.)
Everything is 'crisper' than modi2.

Instruments:
Guitars sound 'natural'. There is an air in those sounds. All the six strings of the guitar sound as they should.
The 'pluck' of the strings with plectrum can be felt. e.g. Initial guitaring in 'neele neele ambar par'.
The 'lightness' and 'pressure' during strumming can be felt. I myself play guitar so I can relate.

Violins are better than modi2 in few areas, but not perfect. The 'screech' of the bow can be felt sometimes. Few times on the high notes it can feel as if the string and bow are just about to tear apart.

Pianos felt better than modi2. We could feel the 'hit' on the piano keys.. decay and attack in technical terms. The high notes and the low notes had their own 'shine' and 'grainess' respectively.

Flute had that natural 'airy' sound and 'pipe' feeling. Definitely better than modi2.

Cymbals and the highs, it truly shines in multibit. Feels as if listening to a high-end DAC.

Drums - Nothing special.

Mids:
Male voices lacked the emotion.
e.g. The initial dialogue of Amitabh Bachhan for 'mein aur meri tanhai' - that was sounding life less. All other DACs/setups always had a 'bass' to Amitabh's voice. This one sounded simply coarse and also many other male voices.

Female voices:
Some songs were good and some were ok-ok and nothing special.
e.g. Dum maro dum, we can feel the 'shout' in the singing during some lines. Extremely natural.
e.g. Saat Samundar paar mein tere - Fantastic presentation. Timing and rythm bang on. If you remember the heroine sways her head/face many times in the song. Very much like that you can feel the 'sway and swing' in the voice that you yourself start swaying your face while listening. I felt like this for the first time while listening.

Overall in all songs male and female voices were more transparent and more present but I felt the lack of 'feel' and 'emotion' is most songs.

Waiting for more burn-in :indifferent14: :indifferent14:

amit.

Last edited:
Thanks for the honest review. May be it will open up to it's potential after 2/3 weeks. My DAC-19 took 3 months to hit the right spot.

After the experience from Gungnir I was little confused or feeling discomfort to believe in hype around Schiit products. Americans might like it that way (sterile and bright which they described as neutral.transparent), but I found the sounds of European or British Brands are more safe, like the taste I always prefer.

My Mimby (they call it so...Bifrost Multibit is Bimby...) is arriving today.
Dont have Modi Uber but a good sound card that must not be far behind uber.
Will post when I think I have something useful to share.

This comment on head fi makes me happy....

I have just taken delivery of my Mimby. It is fantastic and can hold its fort vs my Yggy at the initial listen. The Mimby will be a big hit and send shockwave to the industry. Thank you Jason and everyone at Schiit for putting the R2R multibit sound in such a tiny footprint and at a crazy price.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/815368/happy-as-a-pig-in-schiit-introducing-modi-multibit/180

Last edited:
I have beeen seeing this thread but haven't said much...
But now looking at your comment, anubisX, I can't help but say this...
Try to understand what multibit is. You will be astonished at the discovery...mainly how they differ from delta sigma dac..which are like 99% of dacs.
And when you identify the component of sound to listen to...you will also understand what has been lacking in digital sound that wasn't so in audio cassettes.
Even LP lovers say that the sound is more real than digital...(many reasons for this but one important is...dynamic range).
98% of dacs have D-S implementation to convert from digital to analog...which gives us roughly 2-5 bits of dynamic range (read this up on schiit website, I think its on mimby faq page)
For comparison...digital music is 16 bits of dynamic range.

Did you understand?
To give an analogy, take a photo of Full HD resolution and display it on FullHD screen.
Now reduce its size to 1/4 in a photo editing software and save it with a different name.
Now display this photo on FullHD screen at full screen size...how will it look?
Stretched, inaccurate etc...

Thats what is happening to music through dacs.
(Now this is not a totally accurate analogy as photos too have a dynamic range which is a different thing...but it gets the point across...that 4 bits of dynamic range is stretched back to look like its 16 bits...but the 12 bits are lost forever.)
Why did cassettes sound better, because they have 8 bits of DR. LPs? 10 bits.

The other 1% of dacs try to have a dual dac configuration where one dac does 4 bits and the other does 4..and its added to get 8 bits.

So...the questions that you want to ask are...
- Can I hear and compare DR of music across 2 systems?
- Is the rest of the system able to do justice to a dac of high DR?
(Which is a very big topic in itself)
- In situations like these, when you come across a high quality thing, sometimes it doesn't give a hit straight away...taste has to be acquired and learning has to be done...

There it is.
I believe I had something useful to share...
Yes?

Last edited:
It take time to appreciate new things. Even vinyl is also disliked by few for that clicks and pops.
It takes time to appreciate taste of good coffee first time.

I have beeen seeing this thread but haven't said much...
But now looking at your comment, anubisX, I can't help but say this...
Try to understand what multibit is. You will be astonished at the discovery...mainly how they differ from delta sigma dac..which are like 99% of dacs.
And when you identify the component of sound to listen to...you will also understand what has been lacking in digital sound that wasn't so in audio cassettes.
Even LP lovers say that the sound is more real than digital...(many reasons for this but one important is...dynamic range).
98% of dacs have D-S implementation to convert from digital to analog...which gives us roughly 2-5 bits of dynamic range (read this up on schiit website, I think its on mimby faq page)
For comparison...digital music is 16 bits of dynamic range.

Did you understand?
To give an analogy, take a photo of Full HD resolution and display it on FullHD screen.
Now reduce its size to 1/4 in a photo editing software and save it with a different name.
Now display this photo on FullHD screen at full screen size...how will it look?
Stretched, inaccurate etc...

Thats what is happening to music through dacs.
(Now this is not a totally accurate analogy as photos too have a dynamic range which is a different thing...but it gets the point across...that 4 bits of dynamic range is stretched back to look like its 16 bits...but the 12 bits are lost forever.)
Why did cassettes sound better, because they have 8 bits of DR. LPs? 10 bits.

The other 1% of dacs try to have a dual dac configuration where one dac does 4 bits and the other does 4..and its added to get 8 bits.

So...the questions that you want to ask are...
- Can I hear and compare DR of music across 2 systems?
- Is the rest of the system able to do justice to a dac of high DR?
(Which is a very big topic in itself)
- In situations like these, when you come across a high quality thing, sometimes it doesn't give a hit straight away...taste has to be acquired and learning has to be done...

There it is.
I believe I had something useful to share...
Yes?
Your favorite TV show is devil's advocate I guess...
Can't help but to ask this noobish question, how did you arrive at the 1000w monoblock recommendation?

Also the full HD display analogy is a oversimplification of the whole process & mismatched I think, display in audio systems will apply to the drivers so, probably the 32bit vs 64bit CPU performance difference would be a better analogy to be used here.
It take time to appreciate new things. Even vinyl is also disliked by few for that clicks and pops.
It takes time to appreciate taste of good coffee first time.
I never liked vinyl for the same reason, the tape head engagement sounds , and even the CD loading sounds are equally annoying to me.

I get the whole thing but my question is simple. Comparing the Modi 2 Uber and Modi Multibit on speakers and not headphones, is the Modi Multibit worth the extra 7K ?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back