Schiit's all backed up..

Doomster69

Hi FMs,

It seems COVID has really impacted global supplies in a bad way... i have been coordinating with people at Schiit and they are completely clueless on supplies. Im planning to add another DAC to my system (wife's bedroom setup) and have been trying to figure out where i can source a Modi Multibit or a Bifrost in India.

Spoke to Raghav at HPZ - a true gentleman clearly stated they have no clarity on when to expect supplies - because even they cant get a straight answer from Schiit!

Giving up on original purchase from Schiit/HPZ, i went down looking the used market alley.. Seems like there are some units available on hifi shark, corousell singapore etc. but iv never had experience buying from such sources so bit sceptical going down that path. Ebay options are only limited to US shipping. While other options may be available with some wait times (Denfrips etc.), heart's kind of set on the Schiit house sound.

So had 2 questions -

Are there any other credible sources i can search online and buy from?

Anyone in HFV forum who knows anyone willing to let go/upgrade from theirs?

Any suggestions welcome please

Thanks!

Message the seller if he can ship it to India. I have made few purchase that way in the past.
Hi bala,

I did a few, they declined.. usually since these are available from US based sellers, they dont agree to international shipping and prefer US buyers only :/

Schitt is backed up not just because of COVID. Their main chip supplier AKM suffered a devastating fire and the global semiconductor shortage is making it difficult to source alternatives.

Still, customers at head-fi are reporting sooner-than-published deliveries. So if you're not in a rush maybe joining their queue might not be such a bad idea. They will ship but electronics are a dead-sure target for customs. I've heard duties and charges are to the tune of 140% (!) these days.

Do you know of a good shop-and-ship service?

Schitt is backed up not just because of COVID. Their main chip supplier AKM suffered a devastating fire and the global semiconductor shortage is making it difficult to source alternatives.

Still, customers at head-fi are reporting sooner-than-published deliveries. So if you're not in a rush maybe joining their queue might not be such a bad idea. They will ship but electronics are a dead-sure target for customs. I've heard duties and charges are to the tune of 140% (!) these days.

Hi,

Where did u get the 140‰.. Duties + GST combined come out close to 38‰, so that's the incremental payout from pocket..

140‰ seems too high.. Can u quote the source for that no?

Tx

Yes AKM burned down last yr.. But shudnt impact the multibit products as it uses different chip from AKM..(military grade or medical equipment analog chips)

I guess they are impacted by the chip shortage worldwide and the new factory setup in Texas taking time to be up and running in Covid.

Shop and ship services will take similar timelines since the ship delays are Schiit's retail supply side.. Same timelines irrespective of whether u buy locally in US and have it shipped or buy through them..

Whichevr way, it's gonna be a long wait!! Only way out is someone in HFV lookin to sell theirs..

It is not just the chips. Globally, supplies ( parts ) of any kind that goes into electronic products especially the specialty ones have been hit by covid in a bad way. A manufacturer in India recently told me that parts price is almost triple and wait time is also triple.

It is not just the chips. Globally, supplies ( parts ) of any kind that goes into electronic products especially the specialty ones have been hit by covid in a bad way. A manufacturer in India recently told me that parts price is almost triple and wait time is also triple.
Very true..

So after much thought, I have decided to up the ante and shell out some serious dough (for my reasonable spends budget on audio gear) to get a good dac.

Anyone in the forums with a Schiit Bifrost 2 or Denafrips Ares2, please reach me if u have one to offer..

Thanks all!

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back