Seagate Goflex Home - assistance needed in set-up

TheSeeker

Hello everyone!

i hope am posting this in the correct section.

i have the dock in subject. have a FreeAgent Goflex 500 GB 2.5" portable HDD to go with it. however, when connected to the dock through the SATA port, only the green light comes up and becomes stable. the white light doesn't come up. i have the latest version of seagate dashboard (seagate dashboard 2.0, as well as seagate dashboard powered by memeo) installed. those too don't recognise any drive connected. the HDD is working fine otherwise, when connected to the PC through USB. please note:

- i want to use the NAS for mainly torrent-downloads.
- as per the seller, a torrent-client is already installed by him, on default factory firmware, and no linux knowledge is needed for operation (which i anyway don't have).
- he had provided me with a username and password, and the addresses to access the torrent-client and the NAS portal, but they don't open.
- my router is MTNL/Beetel 450TC1, and DHCP is enabled.
- windows firewall does have exception added for seagate dashboard.
- turning off the antivirus program wasn't of any use as well.
- the HDD that i have is this.

please suggest what could be done. even a link to any blog/page that describes how to set this up and troubleshoot this 'drive not recognised' issue would be good. looking forward to some suggestions.

thanks!

P.S. - am a neophyte in networking, so please pardon me if i have made any mistakes(s) or grasp things slowly. :)

sorry to bother, but tagging a few goflex home owners to request some assistance. please reply as and when time permits:

tracer29, amitk777, dheerajjotwani, soulofmusic (if you don't mind, then you may also please post in this thread itself :) )

Last edited:
resetting it would be tricky, as i don't know how to set the username password, esp. when the dashboard isn't recognising the HDD. am hoping that this is a drive-related issue, but the user manual of the dock tells that my HDD is supported.

am trying to contact the seller. he is present on tech-forums, but not logged in since some days. and i don't know when he would do so. having zero knowledge on linux/handling the device, it would be tough for me to proceed ahead on this. thinking of selling this to someone who has had experience with various NAS.

i can see that my router has assigned an IP to the device successfully, but the white light on the dock doesn't come up.

What is the white light supposed to indicate? Connectivit to the net? May be you have to configure port forwarding. Try looking for the option DMZ and set it to enabled, if it asks for an IP put the ip that your modem /router is assigning to it. DMZ mode will be found on the modem GUI (aka interface page)

What is the white light supposed to indicate? Connectivit to the net? May be you have to configure port forwarding. Try looking for the option DMZ and set it to enabled, if it asks for an IP put the ip that your modem /router is assigning to it. DMZ mode will be found on the modem GUI (aka interface page)

the white light indicates that the dock is detecting an HDD.
i did enable port forwarding for it, and assigned a random port number less than 60000.

I've heard these nas are annoying to get setup.. Try the Seagate user forum.. All the best.

thanks! yes, esp. for someone with no prior experience in using one, or in OS like linux, etc. i got it only on the promise of not having to go deep into the linux and all, but things have turned out the other way. anyway, have posted my query on seagate forum. thanks again for your suggestions!

I've installed custom OS, see the link I posted above and no white light comes up anymore but it works just fine. Try to get a login, after that things will be simplified. There is a also a way to reset the device to its firmware, you will need search on the net for it.

thanks everyone for your suggestions! my GFH is lying with a forum-member currently, who had graciously offered me assistance in setting it up. he would be installing debian, squeezebox server, and what-not on it!! :)

i can see that my router has assigned an IP to the device successfully
5.gif

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back