Second innings with vinyl

Thanks Square Wave. Will be buying the EMT 938. Lets see how it works out. I know the Scheu tables are very good but the EMT looks too tempting to resist.

Last edited:
Congrats Prem sir.
I really liked the looks ...things which came tome top of my mind are Hummer H1,Panasonic Toghbook and a casio G shock wartch!!

Hi Issigonis

The EMT comes fully cleaned, old parts like capacitors, etc replaced and restored to factory specs with a 1 year warranty. The cartridge is new old stock TSD 15 cartridge superfineline. Later retipping when required will be done by EMT or from the company i am buying.

I personally do not think there will be any problem. Its built like a tank.

Hi Issigonis

The EMT comes fully cleaned, old parts like capacitors, etc replaced and restored to factory specs with a 1 year warranty. The cartridge is new old stock TSD 15 cartridge superfineline. Later retipping when required will be done by EMT or from the company i am buying.

I personally do not think there will be any problem. Its built like a tank.

Congrats buddy! This seems like a fine choice!

Btw, how much does it cost?

Congrats on your EMT purchase.

Nice to know that you're getting a fully refurbished unit, as these were last manufactured up to the early '80s, I think. They're a bit thin on the ground these days, and cost a decent amount in any condition.

Most were sold to radio stations, rather than regular customers, and I used to have this fantasy of finding my way into AIR, Bombay and locating an EMT or two in some corner gathering dust...

The EMT is an exceptional machine.
How will you manage the servicing of it?

Hi,

Parts for the EMT turntables are not difficult to find.Also they are very reliable.

There are several hundred EMT 938 turntables with the AIR studios/stations all over India which have been in operation for several decades without problems.

Regards
Rajiv

I used to have this fantasy of finding my way into AIR, Bombay and locating an EMT or two in some corner gathering dust...

Hi,

Why only Bombay,there are several all over India,including the smallest of AIR stations.

Have a look at the link below. The TT's are listed from Pg.28.

This is only in S.India,think of all the stuff in all other zones.

AIR has hundreds Studer B67,Nagra reel to reel and EMT turntables still in daily use.

Database-of-AIR-Stations-in-SZ-2004

Regards
Rajiv

>>>

Ref. Wikipedia, the EMT 938 was introduced as the 'Broadcast Disk Reproducer' in 1982 as a smaller brother to the himalayan 950/950E and the monumental 948. The 938 was designed jointly with Thorens; a modded version of the 938 was marketed by Thorens as the TD 524, which could utilise both the TP 16L and the EMT 929 tonearms.

Terrific. I think an audition is on, to experience the EMT sound and (possibly) compare with other systems.

Regards

Hi Malvai

At this price i thought it was worth taking a risk. It could either flop completely or it could turn out to be a killer as some have expressed. Even if it flops it will not be very difficult to sell it as it has a following. Also this table can handle 110 as well as 230v and also 50Hz and 60Hz.

It could either flop completely or it could turn out to be a killer as some have expressed.
Please don't go by that extreme approach. And make this work. Once you get tt tweak around to your taste (Which I think won't be necessary).
Though you know more than me i would suggest following albums to test the setup. (all are I think Pre '80s)
Meeraj-E-Ghazal - Asha, Ghulam Ali
Chala-Vahi-Desh - Lata
In Blue mood - Talat
Sharmili - Film
Ghar - Film
Gharonda - Film
Bandini/Sujata - Film
All this albums sound fantastic, even if one removes the bias of knowing that all have good melodic music.

Last edited:
Hi,

Why only Bombay,there are several all over India,including the smallest of AIR stations.

Have a look at the link below.

Regards
Rajiv

Thanks for the link, Rajiv. That's an awesome number of 938s right here in Bharat Mata. Would never have thought it likely, expected more of 301s and 401s which were also popular worldwide for radio stations. Whew!

regards,

>>>

prem,

I am curious to know about your considerations for selecting the EMT 938.

EMT produced the following turntables during its glorious run :

1. 927 [Idler], introduced in 1951
2. 930 [Idler], introduced in 1956, smaller brother of the 927; till 1982
3. 928 [Belt], introduced in 1968 to counter the Japanese turntables
3. 950 [Direct], introduced in 1976, cost no object turntable
3a. 950 E [Direct], introduced in 1977, narrower version of the 950
4. 948 [Direct], introduced in 1979, a compact version of the 950
5. 938 [Direct], introduced in 1982, a simpler, inexpensive brother to the 948

All of them were designed and produced for radio stations and were built to last. The 927 and the 930 were simpler (more mechanical), whereas the 950 was loaded with electronics.

Regards

Hi Issigonis

According to the experts all tables sound pretty much the same, give or take 5%, irrespective of idler or direct drive. All of them use the same tone arm and the same cartridge. The 938 does not have stuff like cueing and fade in which the other tables have. Also the 938 phono stage is not up to the mark for mc cartridge. I am having that corrected by having a specially designed step up transformer. The earlier models are also more expensive because they have a collectable value.

Hi Hitensitapara

Thanks for the album list. The EMT cannot be tweaked. So theres no room for trying another cartridge or tonearm or phonostage

>>>

prem,

Please check the age of the cartridge in your 938. According to the EMT expert Hans Fabritius,

" When listening to a used unit please keep an eye on the age (if known) of the cartridge, as the damping rubber is aging. Some then become weak while others become hard. Under normal conditions that may start to become audible from about 6-7 years on. Some are playing still with 10 years. So if the TSD was refurbished you may trust the unit and your ears".

Hope you have hours and years of sublime listening.

Regards

Thanks Issigonis. The cartridge TSD 15 is technically new. I am purchasing the unit from Louis Dusch who like Fabiritus is an ex EMT employee. These two along with Vansvliet of Netherlands are the EMT experts.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back