Second stereo system for a 250sqft room

Avinash Pai

Hello,

I was looking to buy a stereo system for my bedroom. Looking primarily at bookshelf speakers. I already own KEF floorstanders with a Yam RN803 stereo amp in another room.

I tested out the KEF LS50W II at Profx. Was a bit unimpressed with the low end given the cost and enormous amount I had heard, read, and watched about them on YT. I could add a sub but that would push up an already high cost. My requirements are as follows - 1. Stereo amp/Streamer with the capability to natively handle Tidal MQA and with Airplay 2 since I mostly stream my music nowadays, 2. Small footprint since this is for a smaller room 3. I listen to eclectic music but partial to Prog rock and Classic rock, Jazz and Jam Bands. 4. Cost if possible 1-5- 2L 5. Neutral sounding setup.

I am zeroing in on the following:

1. Bluesound Powernode - Have heard a lot about this. Seems to have built-in Tidal with MQA, 60W per channel amp, and a good app. Plus from the house of NAD. Don't know about their serviceability.
2. KEF LS50 speakers.
3. KEF Kube 10 sub

I would like your thoughts on the above system:

1. Have never used a Bluesound product. Is this easy to service in Bengaluru? Can I buy this in Bengaluru? Was also reading about the latest refresh of this where the gen name 2i has been done with - The new version has an 80W per channel amp. Does anyone know if this is available here?
2. I also considered the LS50 Meta, but I am not sure how much additional clarity and oomph I would get for a 40k price differential between these speakers. Any other speakers you could recommend that sound as good as the KEF LS50s for a similar or lower price that would go well with the Powernode?
3. Any other small footprint product like the Bluesound Powernode that I could look at?

Thank You,
Avinash

Last edited:
@Avinash Pai , since you are in Bangalore, you can check out IndiqAudio too. Lots of FMs are extremely happy with their products. Here is a recent review. You can opt for home demo too to critically evaluate in room performance
+1 for indiq diamond mishra if looking for BS or FS then platinum achal or diamond achals as per budget

Hello,

I was looking to buy a stereo system for my bedroom. Looking primarily at bookshelf speakers. I already own KEF floorstanders with a Yam RN803 stereo amp in another room.

I tested out the KEF LS50W II at Profx. Was a bit unimpressed with the low end given the cost and enormous amount I had heard, read, and watched about them on YT. I could add a sub but that would push up an already high cost. My requirements are as follows - 1. Stereo amp/Streamer with the capability to natively handle Tidal MQA and with Airplay 2 since I mostly stream my music nowadays, 2. Small footprint since this is for a smaller room 3. I listen to eclectic music but partial to Prog rock and Classic rock, Jazz and Jam Bands. 4. Cost if possible 1-5- 2L 5. Neutral sounding setup.

1. Bluesound Powernode - Have heard a lot about this. Seems to have built-in Tidal with MQA, 60W per channel amp, and a good app. Plus from the house of NAD. Don't know about their serviceability.
2. KEF LS50 speakers.
3. KEF Kube 10 sub

I would like your thoughts on the above system:

1. Have never used a Bluesound product. Is this easy to service in Bengaluru? Can I buy this in Bengaluru? Was also reading about the latest refresh of this where the gen name 2i has been done with - The new version has an 80W per channel amp. Does anyone know if this is available here?
2. I also considered the LS50 Meta, but I am not sure how much additional clarity and oomph I would get for a 40k price differential between these speakers. Any other speakers you could recommend that sound as good as the KEF LS50s for a similar or lower price that would go well with the Powernode?
3. Any other small footprint product like the Bluesound Powernode that I could look at?

Thank You,
Avinash
LS50W II can produce a pretty deep balanced bass for a Bookshelf speaker. But you have to play with the DSP setting to get it right; else it will not sound exciting. Original LS50 is very bright, and it will give you listening fatigue if not matched properly with Amplifier. KEF LS 50 Meta took care of this brightness issue, and now it sounds more balanced. In my experience, LS 50/Meta shines when hooked to a good amplifier like Hegel H300. You can hear them for hours...

Considering the additional logistics (Streamer/DAC/Amplifier) involved with LS50 and the associated cost, it makes perfect sense to go with LS50W II. It will save you a lot of $$$ in the end. I would suggest you revisit ProFX and audition them with correct DSP settings. You won't be disappointed. If you still think Bass is not good enough for you, you can always get a budget sub like SVS SB1000. Its works perfectly.

Edit:- added additional points.

Last edited:
An amplifier worthy to include here, as it offers excellent value and sound. The Emotiva TA100.
Its got a nice clean 50 watts per channel, a dac, MM Phono, radio and sub out.
Where it falls short is any form of wireless audio transmission, Airplay. That said, the gains and quality of this integrated outweigh the lack of streaming.

<snip>

2. KEF LS50 speakers.
3. KEF Kube 10 sub
<snip>
LS50W II is based on Meta tech.
If you heard them at K.H. Road showroom, they can be a bit bass shy. That demo room is huge.

If you like KEF house sound, ask ProFx for a home demo.
Show genuine intent and they may oblige.
It ticks all your requirements, most importantly small footprint.

I have listened to them in my home. There is enough bass to pressurize a 250sft room.

Cheers,
Raghu

Check out Rethm Aarkas. There's a thread on them.
Couple of FMs have bought them.
You'll not need a separate subwoofer.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back