Seeking advice for a headphone

ithehappy

Hi all, I logged in to this forum after a long time just to ask this. You see I've been using a DT 770 Pro 32 ohms since 2016, but I always hated it, the strong clamping force which hurt my ears so bad that I cannot actually explain. Then it also has an impractical design, mixing overweight metal cups with fragile plastic, which created a crackling noise every time I picked it up and stretched to wear them. Within 2 years the plastic hinges showed cracks on them, and today finally the right one completely broke and the ear cup came hanging. In case I'm not clear this is what I'm talking about: https://photos.app.goo.gl/QFSKLDV9xkZ1TExq5

Another thing which annoyed me from the beginning was the shape of the ear cups, due to its rounded design and yet to be invented round human ears, they never sat comfortably on my ears, adding to the pain. My ears were always touching the thin diaphragm cushion. Due to round design of the pads it was neither on ear nor around the ear. So I let it go today, six years of pain I just couldn't endure anymore. Now what I did like was its sound, well mostly. I mean the dynamic approach, V-shaped profile was entertaining, and that's my main use case, watching DTS/True HD movies, and then gaming as well. I do not have an amp/DAC, just s simple 6700K based PC where it's used.

Now keeping the abovementioned shortcomings of the 770s in mind, could you guys suggest me a headphone which may be considered an upgrade to the 770s? I seek extreme comfort this time around, a flatter sound with neutral bass response (no more boosted bass please) and an actually well built can which doesn't necessarily need to come with metal, as metal doesn't speak for durability unless everything is metal. My budget is flexible, from 10k to 25k. If the headphone is indeed good and from a company which will support its products in years to come then I can spend on the higher end of the spectrum, otherwise I would save my money.

Hi all, I logged in to this forum after a long time just to ask this. You see I've been using a DT 770 Pro 32 ohms since 2016, but I always hated it, the strong clamping force which hurt my ears so bad that I cannot actually explain. Then it also has an impractical design, mixing overweight metal cups with fragile plastic, which created a crackling noise every time I picked it up and stretched to wear them. Within 2 years the plastic hinges showed cracks on them, and today finally the right one completely broke and the ear cup came hanging. In case I'm not clear this is what I'm talking about: https://photos.app.goo.gl/QFSKLDV9xkZ1TExq5

Another thing which annoyed me from the beginning was the shape of the ear cups, due to its rounded design and yet to be invented round human ears, they never sat comfortably on my ears, adding to the pain. My ears were always touching the thin diaphragm cushion. Due to round design of the pads it was neither on ear nor around the ear. So I let it go today, six years of pain I just couldn't endure anymore. Now what I did like was its sound, well mostly. I mean the dynamic approach, V-shaped profile was entertaining, and that's my main use case, watching DTS/True HD movies, and then gaming as well. I do not have an amp/DAC, just s simple 6700K based PC where it's used.

Now keeping the abovementioned shortcomings of the 770s in mind, could you guys suggest me a headphone which may be considered an upgrade to the 770s? I seek extreme comfort this time around, a flatter sound with neutral bass response (no more boosted bass please) and an actually well built can which doesn't necessarily need to come with metal, as metal doesn't speak for durability unless everything is metal. My budget is flexible, from 10k to 25k. If the headphone is indeed good and from a company which will support its products in years to come then I can spend on the higher end of the spectrum, otherwise I would save my money.
U can consider custom one pro from the same brand or Audio Technica ATH M50x or M70X with a headphone amp. Mezze audio or Hifiman Sundara would be good options.

Philips SHP 9500

One of the most comfortable fitting, under- rated and neutral sounding headphones. You can watch reviews on youtube on these.

Hifiman edition X v2

Hifiman Sundara 2021
U can consider custom one pro from the same brand or Audio Technica ATH M50x or M70X with a headphone amp. Mezze audio or Hifiman Sundara would be good options.

Can the Sundara be driven well without an Amp ? I did like their sound signature but was not sure if they were well driven from a regular headphone outlet.

@ithehappy i have lived with a DT990 for almost 10 years and yes its not the most comfortable and bumps up the bass. I now have a Senn 6XX and find it extremely comfortable and balanced although i use it only with an amp. If you are using the PC/phone etc the HD599 may not be a bad option as well

I believe the ATH series are also excellent for that as headcase has mentioned. But again I am not too much into headphones and suggesting only since i have lived through the same problem(s) that you have mentioned

Can the Sundara be driven well without an Amp ? I did like their sound signature but was not sure if they were well driven from a regular headphone outlet.

@ithehappy i have lived with a DT990 for almost 10 years and yes its not the most comfortable and bumps up the bass. I now have a Senn 6XX and find it extremely comfortable and balanced although i use it only with an amp. If you are using the PC/phone etc the HD599 may not be a bad option as well

I believe the ATH series are also excellent for that as headcase has mentioned. But again I am not too much into headphones and suggesting only since i have lived through the same problem(s) that you have mentioned
No u will need an amp for best results ultimately so u can get that later
Or
U can get ATH with fiio amps 👍🏼 will cost less. With Sundara u will need a good amp like chord mojo at least. It's a planar driver.

My ipad and OnePlus can easily drive it

But mine is not the 2021 version....the older version

No u will need an amp for best results ultimately so u can get that later
Or
U can get ATH with fiio amps 👍🏼 will cost less. With Sundara u will need a good amp like chord mojo at least. It's a planar driver.
Besides earpads could also be changed with new or custom ones for many hps these days. Go for soft Or comfortable one. But a tight one will create gud isolation. U can also loosen the band clamping using tricks online.

+1 for the Sennheiser HD6xx. I got a sweet deal from a FM for a almost-new one, and I still have it 2 years later. Currently I use a ZMF Verite Open, but I never feel like I’m compromising when I use my 6xx, because it’s such a special headphone. I would go as far to say, Under 1,00,000₹, it’s the best headphone when amp’ed well. A slight modding may be done (Ear pad swap, cable upgrade etc) to further enhance the experience.

- Cheers

+1 for the Sennheiser HD6xx. I got a sweet deal from a FM for a almost-new one, and I still have it 2 years later. Currently I use a ZMF Verite Open, but I never feel like I’m compromising when I use my 6xx, because it’s such a special headphone. I would go as far to say, Under 1,00,000₹, it’s the best headphone when amp’ed well. A slight modding may be done (Ear pad swap, cable upgrade etc) to further enhance the experience.

- Cheers
What hp amp r u using with Senn 6xx

Thank you all for responding. It's my fault that I forgot to mention in OP that I'm not fine with open back style, I only use closed black :( But thank you nonetheless. I've been watching reviews on YouTube from metal571, wheezy tech and others and it is still a consensus that DT 770 is still the golden standard for closed back cans under 20k category. Their soundstage is apparently unmatched! Really shouldn't have broken mine.

1770X, SRH1540 are said to be the upper tier/upgrade from 770, both of which are out of my budget at present. That's why I'm now contemplating whether to invest in something cheap now and accumulate for a good one later.

Thank you all for responding. It's my fault that I forgot to mention in OP that I'm not fine with open back style, I only use closed black :( But thank you nonetheless. I've been watching reviews on YouTube from metal571, wheezy tech and others and it is still a consensus that DT 770 is still the golden standard for closed back cans under 20k category. Their soundstage is apparently unmatched! Really shouldn't have broken mine.

1770X, SRH1540 are said to be the upper tier/upgrade from 770, both of which are out of my budget at present. That's why I'm now contemplating whether to invest in something cheap now and accumulate for a good one later.
Go for audio Technica ATH M50X for now or meze classic. Don't buy Hifiman below Sundara...semi open. Get amp few months later

Go for audio Technica ATH M50X for now or meze classic. Don't buy Hifiman below Sundara...semi open. Get amp few months later
I have both, the DT770 and M50X. Buying the m50x is a lateral move though the sound signatures differ.

I have the same clamping issue with the Focal Listen.

The meze, Senn 6xx + amp, shure srh 840, srh 1540.

I have decided on the Senn HD 569. Looks good enough for my needs. Neutral sound signature and solid built from the looks of it. But some say that low impedance (23 ohm in this instance) cannot produce audiophile quality sound, is that true? Heard so many mixed opinions in this regard that I can only be confused.

I have decided on the Senn HD 569. Looks good enough for my needs. Neutral sound signature and solid built from the looks of it. But some say that low impedance (23 ohm in this instance) cannot produce audiophile quality sound, is that true? Heard so many mixed opinions in this regard that I can only be confused.
You should be fine with the above 23 ohm given ur source is PC/phone.
All HPs 🎧 gain with an amp so can be added later. U will also gain in games. A Fiio E10K desktop amp can take care of it later.

About impedance: 👇 (good to know)

The lower moving mass of the 250- and 600-ohm headphones' voice coils is lighter than the 32-ohm models, and the lower mass is part of the reason high-impedance headphones sound better.
High-impedance 'phones use a much thinner voice coil in their drivers which is wound with less air between the individual wires, resulting in less sound distortion and a better level of bass reproduction.
Headphone impedance is usually in the 8-600 ohm range, with most of the consumer headphones having 32 ohm impedance. If impedance is high in a headphone then it requires more power to run and for that we need to add external amplifiers to amplify the power to the required levels.
In capacitors, impedance is used to control the flow of electricity in a circuit board. Without the capacitors controlling and regulating electrical flow, your electronics that use alternating currents will either fry or go berserk.
The high impedance ensures that it draws very little current. It is the amplifier's task to convert a low energy, voltage-driven signal into a higher-voltage output signal. Low impedance circuits can be dangerous because of the high current draw that they produce. Op amps avoid this by having very high input impedance.

Hmm thanks for the links. It's clear now. I think going for a higher impedance makes more sense.
Btw anyone here ever ordered from thomann.de, the german retailer? If yes, then how much custom duty were you charged with?

get the koss pro 4 s......studio recording head phones. the ear cups are shaped to the human ear. straight in front and rounded behind. great sound... also and comes with a lifetime warrenty. cost is about usd 125 depending where u buy.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back