seeking sound advice on solar energy entrapment

let us see if I can move back sometime soon to my own house :(
probably another room on the roof will take more priority than the garden on entire roof.

i called up ORB ENERGY (and another friend sent them a mail)..the person who spoke at the other end of the line , though trying to helpful couldn't enlighten me much ..anyway he has told me that he would make another person (a technical guy probably) call on me...
from what i could gather, they will follow the solar panel-battery-inverter route...
some more specific information (pictures, cost etc) would be welcome since so far my visit to the website and my phone call could not clue me in on those details....
thanks

You can contact this guy I deal with. His name is Thiagarajan and his phone number is 9900242656. He told me that he was going to Nepal for some installation. So, if you don't get him on the phone, you can call their office and ask to speak to him.
Orb, Tata BP Solar and Kotak all implement the solar panel-battery-inverter way. Frankly I am not sure if there is any other way (for homes). Tata BP was indifferent to my inquiries and Kotak guys were rude. And I knew a guy who used Orb at that time and was totally happy with them. Good luck with your effort.

Well this source to energy has really been neglected in an energy starved country like india. The main reason behind is the initial cost (inspite of the fact that there is HUGE subsidy :licklips: on the equipment, approx 1/2 to 1/3 of the cost). It takes about a decade to overcome the initial cost and start benefiting from the project. The equipment also needs some basic technical knowledge and maintenance. I am also planning to go green :yahoo: but step by step by adding the panels slowly and increasing the storing capacity. you may like to have a look at this site

Solar Energy - Solar Energy and Solar Power Applications

do educate us all as and when you go GREEN :clapping:

Do you have any specifics on subsidies that are provided to Solar panel vendors/buyers? When I asked my vendor, he said that there are no subsidies. After I installed the system, on one of my visits to US, I saw a solar panel salesman in Costco. On inquiring I found that it was cheaper in India than US. I suspect that the main difference is the installation cost in US.
In my installation, the inverter was a major component of the cost. Then there is the frame that needs to be made to mount the solar panel. Based on this and the quotes I was getting, I believe that it may not be cost effective to incrementally add panels.

Last edited:
I am also looking for a similar solution for some time. Any idea how much will be the initial cost for a 1.5KVa and 3KVa setup?

My purpose is to implement this in our apartment complex for all the electrical needs in the common area. Currently the monthly bill is touching 85-95K + Generator backup. I am thinking of this alternative solution to reduce the dependency on the EB and also it should reach the break even in around 5 years.

One idea which is coming to mind is to reduce the initial investment is to share the o/p from the panels (If possible, right now i am thinking only in high level, need to dig out the possibilities) to the residents' individual flats so that they can also use the solar energy if they have the required equipments. This will reduce the time for achieving the break even and also reduce the burden of the initial investment.

Assuming that Electricity cost per unit is Rs 5, your consumption seems to be in excess of 500 units (KWh)/day. A 3KW/day is hardly going to make a dent in this. You need a much larger system. 1.5 KW system is likely to cost around 3 lakhs and 3KW system is likely to cost between 4.5-5 lakhs (based on the quote I got two years ago). You can contact the solar vendors to get a quote suitable to your needs. I don't believe you would get to break even in 5 years at these costs.

Do you have any specifics on subsidies that are provided to Solar panel vendors/buyers? When I asked my vendor, he said that there are no subsidies. After I installed the system, on one of my visits to US, I saw a solar panel salesman in Costco. On inquiring I found that it was cheaper in India than US. I suspect that the main difference is the installation cost in US.
In my installation, the inverter was a major component of the cost. Then there is the frame that needs to be made to mount the solar panel. Based on this and the quotes I was getting, I believe that it may not be cost effective to incrementally add panels.

Hi Raj,
I have not used the system myself. Most information is from Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (came to know abt any such ministry few months back only) web site. The link is below:-

Ministry of New and Renewable Energy, Official Website, Govt. of India

See the citizen point link in that. Most of the subsidy is in terms of exemption of excise duty, provision of soft loans etc. There is lot of info on the products, approx cost etc. Eg a 100l solar water heater costs abt 22,000/-. The interest rate for the products is as low as 2% :licklips:!!! There is also a list of banks which provide such loans. There are also some sample forms for download.

Well, there is a direct heavy subsidy for housing complexes, institutional and commercial buildings from Rs 1400-1900 per sq mtr!!! :eek:hyeah:

Explore more!!!

You guys are dreaming big...:) I have very small ambitions to start with.

e.g. Where o where in bangalore can I buy the Kiran lantern and a solar cooker. Dont want to buy online, want to goto a shop and check out what other stuff they have. Anyone knows a solar related shop, preferrably in ulsoor/indiranagar/old airport area.

You guys are dreaming big...:) I have very small ambitions to start with.

e.g. Where o where in bangalore can I buy the Kiran lantern and a solar cooker. Dont want to buy online, want to goto a shop and check out what other stuff they have. Anyone knows a solar related shop, preferrably in ulsoor/indiranagar/old airport area.

I just saw solar powered LED lantern in s.p road. 1800 without panel and dont remember the price of panel but maybe 1200/- ... Starting first few electronics shops as soon as you enter.

Cheers

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back