Sell floorstanders and buy bookshelves?

Hahahaha.
One more reason of switching the tower speakers was that bookshelves would put less stress on my AVR.

Like @Love4sound said you can add a power amplifier.

Class D Crown XLS amps are about 22k plus but have huge power 375 wpc @8ohms
I have a O&B 100 WPC @8ohms amplifier which costed 22k without shipping.

But FS will have higher sensitivity, they will also be easier to drive so the load will not reduce much.

Like @Love4sound said you can add a power amplifier.

Class D Crown XLS amps are about 22k plus but have huge power 375 wpc @8ohms
I have a O&B 100 WPC @8ohms amplifier which costed 22k without shipping.

But FS will have higher sensitivity, they will also be easier to drive so the load will not reduce much.
I have had crown xls 1502. I didn't like the output that much nor did i notice much of a difference is Sq. I sold the amp and upgraded my avr.

I have had crown xls 1502. I didn't like the output that much nor did i notice much of a difference is Sq. I sold the amp and upgraded my avr.

Yes, crowns are ok for HT. Don't sound that great. Even I had XLS 2002 sold it and got O&B class AB.
I got this mainly for stereo, but on my Denon x3700 also it did make a difference.

If father in law has hinted , then give the speakers. Simple.

Bookshelves vs towers, my vote Towers always. You have used Polk, why not try a different signature now. Check out QA speakers. They look great and should match your receiver well.

MaSh

If father in law has hinted , then give the speakers. Simple.

Bookshelves vs towers, my vote Towers always. You have used Polk, why not try a different signature now. Check out QA speakers. They look great and should match your receiver well.

MaSh
Any reason for favouring the towers. I have read on multiple forums ppl suggest to go for bookshelves.
In a discussion at audioholocs they suggested that if you sell your towers and get some bookshelves at the same price, it should be considered as an upgrade.
When most of the lower end duty is done by sub then how wud tower speakers be any different than bookshelves.

Imo bookshelves are not a replacement for fs. Both have their own pros and cons. If you just replace your fs with bookshelves, you will miss things which fs do better e.g bass. In general, bookshelves image better, sound faster and more precise, less cabinet issues and less colored sound. Fs have the deep integrated bass. Pls be aware that subwoofer cant produce bass that your fs produces, it produces subbass maybe below 60hz that is used to accentuate bass that your speaker produces.

Imo bookshelves are not a replacement for fs. Both have their own pros and cons. If you just replace your fs with bookshelves, you will miss things which fs do better e.g bass. In general, bookshelves image better, sound faster and more precise, less cabinet issues and less colored sound. Fs have the deep integrated bass. Pls be aware that subwoofer cant produce bass that your fs produces, it produces subbass maybe below 60hz that is used to accentuate bass that your speaker produces.
Thanks for your input. I had crossed my fronts at 80 and set them to small. Isnt something upto 80 an easy job for bookshelves?

Thanks for your input. I had crossed my fronts at 80 and set them to small. Isnt something upto 80 an easy job for bookshelves?
Crossing at 80hz doesn't mean it's a cliff, it's just the point at which the spl of rest of the frequencies begin to drop. So it's a gradual descent. Yes in the end it's upto each speaker and room how the overall system behaves. For example if you replace with say QA 3020 bookshelf. They have excellent mids and highs, but hardly any low-end. On the other hand of you replace with an Elac debut series or its higher series, they have really good low end.

And added preference I have over bookshelves is the floor space they occupy if both speakers are on the floor. BS + Stands takes up more or less the space as a tower.

As mentioned above neither is a replacement of the other. Once the occupied space preference is finalised, it's all about the signature and performance which you can judge by audition only. So try to Audition as many BS and Towers as you can and pick the one that's the best compromise of performance and Compatibility with your receiver. It's no point getting an excellent sounding speaker which demands too much from the receiver resulting in you exploring the power amp route Or a speaker that's easy on the receiver but sounds terrible.

MaSh

My listening distance is approx 16 feet from my mains.
Bro, dunno where your stand today.
At 16 feet listening distance (am assuming a room at least 20 feet), no bookshelf is going to do justice.

You may give your Polks to your FIL, but please dont go the BS route in your room.

Get a bigger pair of FS and be very happy.

And maybe add another sub. :D

Try and get a demo of your marantz 6013 with the 3050i. For a more laid-back performance look at the Concept 40. Both FS are well-known especially for their pleasing warm midrange but detailed sound signature. Good for long listening sessions.

Try and get a demo of your marantz 6013 with the 3050i. For a more laid-back performance look at the Concept 40. Both FS are well-known especially for their pleasing warm midrange but detailed sound signature. Good for long listening sessions.
will definitely give it a try

I moved from a USD 10k floorstander based system to a sub 1k active bookshelf based system and never looked back. As we age the weakest link (apart from the room) is our years and marginal utility of higher end creep diminishes

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back