Seperate CD player for music ?

ame

Dear Friends

I am a new owner of Onkyo 606 with Diamond 9.2 speakers.Right now I am running my system for initial 50-100 hours so cant say much about sound quality.

I am playing AudioCD in Sony DVD player DVPNS708HP and connected the DVD player by HDMI cable to Onkyo amp.

For music should I buy a seperate CD player or the present set up is OK?

Thanks in advance.

ame

If you can afford it, a dedicated CDP connected with good quality RCA cables will sound better than you current DVD Player. Very good CDPs are available from CA, NAD, Marantz, and other companies at less than 20K. When using a CDP, use the 'Pure Audio' or similar option in the 606.

Cheers

Hi:

Yes. A dedicated cdp will have improved sound quality rather than playing audio cd in a DVD. You will not go wrong with the following cdp's:

1. Marantz CD5001 - Around 12k
2. Cambridge Audio 340A SE - 13k

A new but decent to good CDP will be starting from 5 figures onwards. Yes it will improve SQ and sound a lot better. Make a decision based on how much of your content is/will be in Audio CDs.

Yes, a dedicated CDP will always make a positive difference. But, every case is unique and one can't confidently say how much of a difference it will make. That is, how perceptible this difference is will depend on your amp and speaker's ability.

I would suggest auditioning the player with your setup before making a purchase.

Dear Friends

I am a new owner of Onkyo 606 with Diamond 9.2 speakers.Right now I am running my system for initial 50-100 hours so cant say much about sound quality.

I am playing AudioCD in Sony DVD player DVPNS708HP and connected the DVD player by HDMI cable to Onkyo amp.

Thanks in advance.

ame

Since you already got a disc player, why don't you get an external DAC like the Beresford ? Theres lots of people here on the forum who are considering it . A DVDP and CDP may be a bit of waste. The DAC might improve the DVD player output enough to make it worthwhile.

Cheers

Since you already got a disc player, why don't you get an external DAC like the Beresford ? Theres lots of people here on the forum who are considering it . A DVDP and CDP may be a bit of waste. The DAC might improve the DVD player output enough to make it worthwhile.

Cheers

I will second that. I tried one borrowing from a friend on my system and it even improved mp3s quality quite a good bit. Even I am in line getting a Beresford for myself.

Dear All

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Can someone educate me on "external DAC like the Beresford "

Thanks in advance.

ame

A CD stores the songs in digital format. All digital CD players and DVD Players have their own Digital to Analog Convertors (DAC) built in.

The DAC conversion can be done any where in the chain, before the sound is amplified and sent to the speakers. Some companies build sophisticated DAC system that are external to the CD player. In this case, the CD/DVD player accepts the signal in digital form fro the player, converts the signals to analog, and then send the analog signals to the amplifier for amplification.

Like many things in audio/video, some people believe that they can build very focussed products to give better performance. An external DAC is one such unit. It just accpets digital data and converts it to analog form.

Cheers

I think anyone starting off afresh is better off spending an extra 30K on a better reciever than on buying a separate CD player. You can then just use the DVD player as a transport and decode it all in the receiver which, if its upwards of 60K rupees will deliver more details and better sound than a 20K CD player.

A separate CD player makes musical sense in higher end systems if you can budget 80K and more for the player.

If you are planning to use the AV Receiver for music reproduction, please go for a higher end receiver and some good universal player like the oppo digital.
There is no point in having a dedicated cd player with a receiver.

Dedicated cd players need a good stereo amp or seperates to show its capabilities.

If you are planning to use the AV Receiver for music reproduction, please go for a higher end receiver and some good universal player like the oppo digital.
There is no point in having a dedicated cd player with a receiver.

Dedicated cd players need a good stereo amp or seperates to show its capabilities.

Couldn't agree with you more. Walked the path during my initial days and learned it the hard way.

Ame, save up and get yourself a dedicated HiFi system.

Yes, a dedicated CDP will always make a positive difference. But, every case is unique and one can't confidently say how much of a difference it will make. That is, how perceptible this difference is will depend on your amp and speaker's ability.

I would suggest auditioning the player with your setup before making a purchase.

yes I agree, cheap CD players 10k-20k dont really sound better than a good DVD player feeding a good amp/dac/receiver. I had the example of the marantz cd6002 sounding very dull compared to my oppo dvd 983 player both on digital or analog out. But then I do have a good system with Lexicon MC4 preamp and B&W802 speakers.

To summarize, a good dvd player will be always better sounding than a cheap cd player. or else if your pre-amplifier is good then feed the digital out to that and see which sounds better.

so you'd say that the Oppo 983 bests the CD6002 for CD audio playback?

yes I agree, cheap CD players 10k-20k dont really sound better than a good DVD player feeding a good amp/dac/receiver. I had the example of the marantz cd6002 sounding very dull compared to my oppo dvd 983 player both on digital or analog out. But then I do have a good system with Lexicon MC4 preamp and B&W802 speakers.

To summarize, a good dvd player will be always better sounding than a cheap cd player. or else if your pre-amplifier is good then feed the digital out to that and see which sounds better.

What analog IC do you use? :)

Cheers

A separate CD player makes musical sense in higher end systems if you can budget 80K and more for the player.

I second this. I would suggest go for a decent DAC and use a DVDP as a trasport , that way you become future proof too.

A real dedicated CDP starts at a budget of Rs 75K onwards. Any 20~30K is a raw deal.

If you insist on a dedicated CDP and that too of a very good quality and yet wanted to remain in the budget of 20K then go for Oppo DVDP. It is very good for Music only application and comes within the budget of 20K. Oppo is far better than those entry level NADs, CAs and Marnatzs.

Dr BASS on this forum (and Abhi Pani of the German forum) is selling his World class High end CDP ($5K) for a throw away price (Rs 60K) please check with him.

Hope this helps

I second this. I would suggest go for a decent DAC and use a DVDP as a trasport , that way you become future proof too.

A real dedicated CDP starts at a budget of Rs 75K onwards. Any 20~30K is a raw deal.

If you insist on a dedicated CDP and that too of a very good quality and yet wanted to remain in the budget of 20K then go for Oppo DVDP. It is very good for Music only application and comes within the budget of 20K. Oppo is far better than those entry level NADs, CAs and Marnatzs.

Dr BASS on this forum (and Abhi Pani of the German forum) is selling his World class High end CDP ($5K) for a throw away price (Rs 60K) please check with him.

Hope this helps

Oppo 980 is cheap(14k) & 983 is close to BDp price.So can 980 sound equal to 983?
I know speci are same for aud,but some change must be there as circuit is concerned.Anyone listen both?

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back