Setting up a Home Thaeatre. What all can be bought from US?

vyamoham

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to setup a Home Theatre at my home. I don't have much idea about how to do it. Please help me to decide how to go about it.

I am from Cochin, Kerala. The home theatre will be in the first floor. The room size in 14ft x 12ft. The main purpose will be for watching movies(80%) and some music(20%).

Next month I will be going to US, and planning to purchase some stuff from there.

I am planning to get Benq W1070 video projector.

http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-W1070-1080P-Theater-Projector/dp/B00A2T6X0K

The projector is very costly. So, I will be bringing it from US. It seems the projector can work in 230v environment in india without any transformer.

I also need a projector ceiling mount and projector screen. I can get the projector ceiling mount also from US.

http://www.amazon.com/QualGear-PRB-717-WHT-Universal-Projector-Accessory/dp/B00COF74G2

I don't think I will be able to get screen from US. I think the package itself will be huge and heavy.

I need to get some 3D glasses as well. I am looking to buy 4 of these.

Amazon.com: Ultra-Clear HD 144 Hz DLP LINK 3D Active Rechargeable Shutter Glasses for All 3D DLP Projectors - BenQ, Optoma, Dell, Mitsubishi, Samsung, Acer, Vivitek, NEC, Sharp, ViewSonic & Endless Others!: Electronics

What would you suggest for the screen? Should I buy Carl's Blackout cloth (http://www.amazon.com/Carls-Blackout-Projector-Material-66x110-inch/dp/B007KA07YM) and do a DIY? Are there any other options?

I am also planning to buy an HDMI cable for the installation.

Amazon.com: Mediabridge ULTRA Series HDMI Cable (25 Feet) - High-Speed Supports Ethernet, 3D and Audio Return [Newest Standard]: Electronics

If possible, I will also buy a universal remote, which could be used for the projector, speaker system, blu-ray player, NUC etc..

Amazon.com: Logitech Harmony 650 Remote Control - Silver (915-000159): Electronics

Are there any more stuff that I can buy from US(required to setup home theatre) which have huge price difference?

I would have bought a Bluray 3D player too. But they also have power conversion problem, I think. Do you know of any Bluray player which could work in india also without a transformer?

I am also planning to setup the 5.1 surround speakers in near future(Maybe by April/May 2015). I do not know much about the audio side of the home theatre. For a 12ft x 14ft, can we setup a 5.1 surround system? Or is the room small? From the forum, I understand that I should go and do some audition to find a system of my liking. And I will not have time to do those, when I am in US.

I thought of buying an AV receiver from there. They are cheap there. But thay also have power conversion problem. And they are heavy for my luggage, after I buy all the other stuff mentioned above.

Is there anything else, I can bring from there? May be audio cables, banana plugs(have no idea what they are) etc?

Since I will be going to US mid next month, I need to decide, what all I should buy and arrange money for that. The speaker part can wait till April/May. But if there is anything that could be bought from US, please let me know about them also. Please provide your suggestions.

Thanks

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum and I am trying to setup a Home Theatre at my home. I don't have much idea about how to do it. Please help me to decide how to go about it.

The home theatre will be in the first floor. The room size in 14ft x 12ft. The main purpose will be for watching movies(80%) and some music(20%).

Next month I will be going to US, and planning to purchase some stuff from there.

I am planning to get Benq W1070 video projector.

Amazon.com: BenQ W1070 1080P 3D Home Theater Projector (White): Electronics

The projector is very costly here in India. So, I will be bringing it from US. It seems the projector can work in 220v environment in india without any transformer.

I also need a projector ceiling mount and projector screen. I can get the projector ceiling mount also from US.

Amazon.com: QualGear PRB-717-WHT Universal Ceiling Mount Projector Accessory: Electronics

I don't think I will be able to get screen from US. I think the package itself will be huge and heavy.

I need to get some 3D glasses as well. I am looking to buy 4 of these.

Amazon.com: Ultra-Clear HD 144 Hz DLP LINK 3D Active Rechargeable Shutter Glasses for All 3D DLP Projectors - BenQ, Optoma, Dell, Mitsubishi, Samsung, Acer, Vivitek, NEC, Sharp, ViewSonic & Endless Others!: Electronics

What would you suggest for the screen? Should I buy Carl's Blackout cloth (Amazon.com: Carl's Blackout Cloth, DIY Projector Screen, Raw Material/Fabric, 66x110-inch, Matte White, 16:9/1.0: Electronics) and do a DIY? Are there any other options?

I am also planning to buy an HDMI cable for the installation.

http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-ULTRA-Series-HDMI-Cable/dp/B0031TRZX2

If possible, I will also buy a universal remote, which could be used for the projector, speaker system, blu-ray player, NUC etc..

Amazon.com: Logitech Harmony 650 Remote Control - Silver (915-000159): Electronics

Are there any more stuff that I can buy from US(required to setup home theatre) which have huge price difference?

I would have bought a Bluray 3D player too. But they also have power conversion problem, I think. Do you know of any Bluray player which could work in india also without a transformer?

I am also planning to setup the 5.1 surround speakers in near future(Maybe by April/May 2015). I do not know much about the audio side of the home theatre. For a 12ft x 14ft, can we setup a 5.1 surround system? Or is the room too small? From the forum, I understand that I should go and do some audition to find a system of my liking. And I will not have time to do those, when I am in US.

I thought of buying an AV receiver from there. They are cheap there. But they also have power conversion problem. And they are heavy for my luggage, after I buy all the other stuff mentioned above.

Is there anything else, I can bring from there? May be audio cables, banana plugs(have no idea what they are) etc?

Since I will be going to US mid next month, I need to decide, what all I should buy and arrange money for that. The speaker part can wait till April/May. But if there is anything that could be bought from US, please let me know about them also. Please provide your suggestions.

Thanks

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back