Setting up Home theater!!!

M1972

Hi Friends,

I am about to setup a Home theater. I need it for music,movies (50:50) requirement. My budget is around 50 K. I have been advised following

1. Bose Acoustimass 6 Series III Home Entertainment Speaker System BOSE INDIA
2. Onkyo 505/304E Receiver
3. DVD Player.

I wonder after going through a lot through this forum that Bose is not very much recommended and it is a bit expensive too (around 37K) as per my requirement. Can you suggest some other 5.1 speaker system (small size speakers) like the one from Bose but giving equivilent or better output. I expect reasonable discounts to be out there in the market now, any response on this would be highly appreciated from the experts. Also, do let me know where I can buy this in delhi.

Can you also comment on the above combination?.

Thanks a lot.

I am about to setup a Home theater. I need it for music,movies (50:50) requirement. My budget is around 50 K. I have been advised following

M1972, 50K is a funny figure. It is neither too much nor too little.

If you go the separates way let us see what it will cost:

1. AVR - around 25,000
2. DVD Player - around 7.000
3. Sub/Sat 5.1 speaker - Around 30,000
4. Cables/Connectors - Around 5,000

This comes to roughly 70,000 at the least (rounded off)

A more sensible option is to go for what is called HT In a Box or HTIB. A complete HTIB including receiver and speakers will land at your doorstep for 30,000. You can spend the rest of the money for DVD Players and connectors, good cables, and a few movie discs.

There are a number of good HTIB available from Onkyo, Philips, and LG. Though other companies also make HTIBs, I am only listing brands that are popular in this forum.

Take a look at these HTIBs, listen to them, and if you like the sound, they are the best option.

Cheers

Stay away from Bose unless you want to left wondering why cheaper systems sound better at your friends or family's places.

Also if I could swing it, I would go separates as it will keep you satisfied for yrs to come. There are not too many upgrade options if you went with a HTiB

Thanks Venkatcr for your comments.

I can draw out 70K also if I building something for the future. Can you comment on the options given if Bose and Receiver is the right combination else can you suggest what are other choices.

I am not interested for HTiB that is why I have to take this route.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

M1972,

Between the 505 and 304E, I will look at the 505. It has more power, Audyseey room correction, good DACs for music, etc. The 304E does not have HDMI, and I think HDMI is very much needed nowadays, particularly if you are looking at long term use.

If you have the time and the patience, I will also request you to audition the Yamaha 463. Yamaha seems to be doing magic with their new series of receivers, and they sound very nice. This should be roughly 25,000, though a 5.1 only.

For speakers, and since you are interested in music, I would usually have insisted you look at bookshelves. But a pair of good bookshelves itself will cost around 15K, and a full 5.1 will end up around 40 to 50. Of course, one option is that you build a 2.1 system now, and then add the surrounds when you can at a later date. But even this will (2 bookshelves, a center, and a sub) will be hitting at the edges of your budget.

Given this scenario, please look at the following speaker packages:

1. Canton Movie 60 CX. Consisting of four tiny satellites for front and surround, a bigger one for center, and a sub woofer, the Canton weaves a much larger sound stage than it should. What I liked about the sub was it's tightness and speed. The low frequency sounds are deep, but die immediately completely removing the boominess that many subs have.

2. KEF KHT 1005. Again a good speaker package that will perform well for movies and music. The KHT package has been around for a long time, won many awards, and KEF has been improving the dynamics of the speaker year after year.

3. Mission M30 Cinema. Consisting of very elegant speakers, this is capable of delivering good sound for movies and music.

4. Energy Classic Take 5.1. Again a long term favourite, the Take 5, the Take 5 delivers crisp dialogues, and a tight bass. It also provides a sound stage way beyond it's size.

Once you have these system fianalised, get some good interconnects and OFC speaker cables, and you are all set to go.

Cheers

Last edited:
M1972,

Between the 505 and 304E, I will look at the 505. It has more power, Audyseey room correction, good DACs for music, etc. The 304E does not have HDMI, and I think HDMI is very much needed nowadays, particularly if you are looking at long term use.

If you have the time and the patience, I will also request you to audition the Yamaha 463. Yamaha seems to be doing magic with their new series of receivers, and they sound very nice. This should be roughly 25,000, though a 5.1 only.

For speakers, and since you are interested in music, I would usually have insisted you look at bookshelves. But a pair of good bookshelves itself will cost around 15K, and a full 5.1 will end up around 40 to 50. Of course, one option is that you build a 2.1 system now, and then add the surrounds when you can at a later date. But even this will (2 bookshelves, a canter, and a sub) will be hitting at the edges of your budget.

Given this scenario, please look at the following speaker packages:

1. Canton Movie 60 CX. Consisting of four tiny satellites for front and surround, a bigger one for center, and a sub woofer, the Canton weaves a much larger sound stage than it should. What I liked about the sub was it's tightness and speed. The low frequency sounds are deep, but die immediately completely removing the boominess that many subs have.

2. KEF KHT 1005. Again a good speaker package that will perform well for movies and music. The KHT package has been around for a long time, won many awards, and KEF has been improving the dynamics of the speaker year after year.

3. Mission M30 Cinema. Consisting of very elegant speakers, this is capable of delivering good sound for movies and music.

4. Energy Classic Take 5.1. Again a long term favourite, the Take 5, the Take 5 delivers crisp dialogues, and a tight bass. It also provides a sound stage way beyond it's size.

Once you have these system fianalised, get some good interconnects and OFC speaker cables, and you are all set to go.

Cheers

hi, wanting to upgrade my sorrounds --my set up--- onkyo 875AVR ,onkyo dvd player, jamo C809 mains and centre ,velodyne CHT12R sub,CARVER TFM35x pre power also wired to the jamos809 for stereo,pandam BS (very old) for sourrounds,now i was looking at a dedicated sorrounds (dipole)from either jamos or klipsh ,the jamos C80 sorrounds cost 60k and C60 abt 30k and klipsh reference sourrounds at 25k ,but one of my frnd sugested i go for the BOSE S301 for the sourrounds ,priced at 18k, he says its real value for money,but i really wudnt know how it wud perform as sourrounds ,i believe it has multilple drivers firing at different angles and also good amt of bass,cud u plz suggest( i wudnt want to spend too much on the rear spkrs)

Last edited:
Buddy (M1972)

Welcome to the forum ... !!!

Buddy, please let us know, what is your exact requirements...
When you mention 5.1 tht means u require smthin 4 Movies...

But there are a lot many things tht are needed to be considered when you are setting up a AV setup...

See there are hundreds of products available in the market...
in tht many are considered as Music System..
and tht exactly is Bose, Sony, Samsung, etc...

So, if you are lookin in for smthin professional 4 ur HT, then consider the same class products...

And its nt always necessary tht one shud buy all the products at once...
you can start with a reciever and a pair of speakers and as u gt more money to spend on same thn gt other products...

Though this will take approx a yr to complete, but once you are done with your system, you will be more than happy with a quality product instead gettin some HTiB or cheap stuff like Onkyo...

Think on it...

hi, wanting to upgrade my sorrounds --my set up--- onkyo 875AVR ,onkyo dvd player, jamo C809 mains and centre ,velodyne CHT12R sub,CARVER TFM35x pre power also wired to the jamos809 for stereo,pandam BS (very old) for sourrounds,now i was looking at a dedicated sorrounds (dipole)from either jamos or klipsh ,the jamos C80 sorrounds cost 60k and C60 abt 30k and klipsh reference sourrounds at 25k ,but one of my frnd sugested i go for the BOSE S301 for the sourrounds ,priced at 18k, he says its real value for money,but i really wudnt know how it wud perform as sourrounds ,i believe it has multilple drivers firing at different angles and also good amt of bass,cud u plz suggest( i wudnt want to spend too much on the rear spkrs)

I really at a loss for words. You want to marry a Onkyo 875 (Award winner for 2 years in a row - no other AVR has done that) with Bose?

All dipoles have multiple drivers driving at different angles and different directions. You can get a pair of good dipoles at around 25K. And you dont need bass for dipoles (surround channel). These will be handled by your LFE or sub woofer. The AVR will not send low frequency sound to the surround channels.

Ideally since you have Jamo speakers, you must buy only matching dipoles from Jamo. If cost is a factor, there are superb dipoles available from a host of other companies - Wharfedale, Mordaunt Short, Mission, KEF, Pol Audio.... the list is endless. Look for wattage, impedance and color matching with your current speakers.

Cheers

I really at a loss for words. You want to marry a Onkyo 875 (Award winner for 2 years in a row - no other AVR has done that) with Bose?

All dipoles have multiple drivers driving at different angles and different directions. You can get a pair of good dipoles at around 25K. And you dont need bass for dipoles (surround channel). These will be handled by your LFE or sub woofer. The AVR will not send low frequency sound to the surround channels.

Ideally since you have Jamo speakers, you must buy only matching dipoles from Jamo. If cost is a factor, there are superb dipoles available from a host of other companies - Wharfedale, Mordaunt Short, Mission, KEF, Pol Audio.... the list is endless. Look for wattage, impedance and color matching with your current speakers.
hi,thnks again ,i had already planned on the jamo c80/c60 or klipsh reference for my sorrounds but it was only a sugestion from my frnd for the bose 301 as rears tht left me in doubt ,i thnk i shd stick to upgrading to dedicated rear spkrs
Cheers

hi,thnks again,i had already planned on the jamo c80/c60 or klipsh reference for my rears but it was only a suggestion from a frnd for the bose 301 for rears tht left me in doubt,i thnk i shd opt for dedicated rear spkrs(dipoles)

Subash:

I am curious. You are one of the few 875 owners I have seen on the forum.

Can you describe the complete set up?

• What display do you have?
  • What levels have you set the sub?
  • Are you using the full 1080P capabilities of the 875?
  • How did you choose the Jamos?
  • How do the Jamos sound for music and movies?
  • Have you done some room acoustics?
  • What kind of movies and music do you listen to?

Where do you live BTW?

Cheers

hi,thnks again,i had already planned on the jamo c80/c60 or klipsh reference for my rears but it was only a suggestion from a frnd for the bose 301 for rears tht left me in doubt,i thnk i shd opt for dedicated rear spkrs(dipoles)

Subash:

It just occurred to me. Dipoles are never connected as Rear Speakers. They are always surround speakers, connected at the sides. If you are connecting Rear Speakers, they will be part of a 7.1 system, and small bookshelves or satellites are enough. This is because, bulk of the sound from DVDs are sent as 5.1. Some THX movies such as Star Wars carry 7.1 sound, and you need THX certified DVD Player for that. Of course Blu-Ray may contain 7.1, but you need a Blu-Ray player for that.

Please see my article http://www.hifivision.com/audio-video-cables/2608-avr-connectivity.html for details.

Cheers

Subash:

I am curious. You are one of the few 875 owners I have seen on the forum.

Can you describe the complete set up?

• What display do you have?
  • What levels have you set the sub?
  • Are you using the full 1080P capabilities of the 875?
  • How did you choose the Jamos?
  • How do the Jamos sound for music and movies?
  • Have you done some room acoustics?
  • What kind of movies and music do you listen to?

Where do you live BTW?

Cheers

hi venkat,-1--my display-optoma HD65 with 120' pull down screen from grandview(the HD65 is 720p but accepts 1080p), 2---- VELODYNE-CHT12R sub(levels- -3db in the avr,and o in the bass settings of avr),, 3--yes am using full HD capabilities of the 875 -hav routed hdmi out from onkyo dvd to 875 without upscaling ie at 480p and hdmi out of 875 to optoma HD65 allowing the 875 to upscale to 1080p ,,,,4--,choose the jamos after a month long auditioning of all spkrs available here in blr ,finally likd them for the sound they produced(spkrs auditioned at this price level--focal 826,klipsh reference ,elac 120/220series,polk lsi series, tannoy DC4/DC6 and senses ,and bnw 68--smthg ) ,,,,, 5--awesome!!! for movis its powered to 875 ,was not too happy with stereo and all the other modes it offered for music ,it sounded dull for 2 channell listening(i like my music in pure 2channel mode and i dislike sub for music in 2 channel) so finally i got a CARVER TFM35X pre/power for pure stereo and now it sounds jst terrific ,the C809 jamos require a lot of power to put out thier best in stereo, the carver givs an unbelievable 250 rms at 8ohms 6--not done much of room acoustics but hav dampened the walls front and bak with very thick curtains 7----all kinds of movis and music ,last movi was mummy3 ,it was a fantastic work out for the entire set up,,,,,,music --jst pikd up KORN-unplugged ,very good stuff and EAGLES -long road to eden ,also amazing especially the rcording and few traks

Subash:

It just occurred to me. Dipoles are never connected as Rear Speakers. They are always surround speakers, connected at the sides. If you are connecting Rear Speakers, they will be part of a 7.1 system, and small bookshelves or satellites are enough. This is because, bulk of the sound from DVDs are sent as 5.1. Some THX movies such as Star Wars carry 7.1 sound, and you need THX certified DVD Player for that. Of course Blu-Ray may contain 7.1, but you need a Blu-Ray player for that.

Please see my article http://www.hifivision.com/audio-video-cables/2608-avr-connectivity.html for details.

Cheers
hi venkat ,,i live in banglore(forgot to mention) ,,let me tell u i really never gave importance to my sourrounds/rear spkrs ,as my very old bookshelves (pandam ,i dont thnk u wud hav heard of these
)were doing the job ,only now after seeing all those sourround spkrs with multiple drivers firing in different directions ,was interested to upgrade my sourrounds to dipoles(guess i got the term correct), but am not to sure how much of an upgrade it wud be from the bookshelves ,so before i venture into it and spend i got to be sure tht there shud be some kind of difference ,,,and as u suggested i wud definetly go with the same brand for the sorrounds ,,as u mentioned the dvds only giv 5.1 its jst a psuedo 6/7.1 will go in for the rears after i pik up a bluray player,was looking at the pana DMP BD30/35,sad its not yet available here ----subhash

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back