Setting up stereo hifi music system

Thanks ssf. Had a nice talk with Mr Anil and after listening to all my requirements and budget he suggested the following-
Rega Planar 1 TT
Marantz PM6007 amp
Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 speakers.
So what do HVF people say, should I jump in.

Thanks ssf. Had a nice talk with Mr Anil and after listening to all my requirements and budget he suggested the following-
Rega Planar 1 TT
Marantz PM6007 amp
Difficult to say without knowing your preferences in sound. But reading about the music that you listen to, this should a good setup. The wharfies are normally a bit laid back, so good for extended listening sessions. Laid back would also mean more forgiving of not so well recorded sources, typically old hindi filmi songs and the like.

This looks like a good recommendation for you. In future, if in case you want to bring up the bottom end a bit, you can add a subwoofer which will definitely help.

Make no mistake though. I am no expert at this.

Difficult to say without knowing your preferences in sound. But reading about the music that you listen to, this should a good setup. The wharfies are normally a bit laid back, so good for extended listening sessions. Laid back would also mean more forgiving of not so well recorded sources, typically old hindi filmi songs and the like.

This looks like a good recommendation for you. In future, if in case you want to bring up the bottom end a bit, you can add a subwoofer which will definitely help.

Make no mistake though. I am no expert at this.
Thanks ssf but neither am I an expert.
You have said that the wharfies are a bit laid back. Could you elaborate on this a little for my understanding.
My first choice of listening will be indian classical music, ghazals, some pop and Tagore songs and such like. Old hindi film songs too.
So should I look for other speakers or WD 12.1 will suffice..
Also do you have any idea about some other online stores like avshack.in or nexthifi
.com as I see some stuff which are cheaper and also not there in hifimart.

You have said that the wharfies are a bit laid back. Could you elaborate on this a little for my understanding.
My first choice of listening will be indian classical music, ghazals, some pop and Tagore songs and such like. Old hindi film songs too.
Also do you have any idea about some other online stores like avshack.in or nexthifi
Since you are already in Kolkata , why don’t you visit Vasu Da’s Harmonie Audio and check out some of the speakers there in your budget ? Vasu Da is one of the most respected dealers in stereo , TTs , amps and he’s very knowledgeable.

In fact I suggest you audition as many speakers as possible in Kolkata from places like , in addition to Harmonie Audio , Wattfeffects, Sollfege, ProFx, SKS, Auditro

Laid back is a slight roll of in the treble. Easier on the ears. Nothing like listening to the speakers yourself if possible as suggested by @Bloom@83

@Listner

I connected my Wharfedale D225's to the Marantz SR7010 and played some Indian classical music. It was sounding nice but I preferred listening to it on my Quad S2 which is a neutral to slightly forward speaker. Indian classical music has some lovely instruments and the sitar and tabla sounded amazing on the Quad S2's.

This is why you need to listen to speakers and then decide. You may end up liking the wharfies. Take some of your favorite classical music with you when you go to audition the speakers.

@Listner

I connected my Wharfedale D225's to the Marantz SR7010 and played some Indian classical music. It was sounding nice but I preferred listening to it on my Quad S2 which is a neutral to slightly forward speaker. Indian classical music has some lovely instruments and the sitar and tabla sounded amazing on the Quad S2's.

This is why you need to listen to speakers and then decide. You may end up liking the wharfies. Take some of your favorite classical music with you when you go to audition the speakers.
Thanks to both Bloom@83 snd ssf for your suggestions.
I had a talk with Mr Krish of Whateffects and today being a holiday he suggested to contact on Monday and thereafter take a demo which I will.
The equipment you have mentioned ssf, ie. Marantz SR7010 and Quad S2 are a fair bit outside my budget range. But thanks for giving me a better idea of what I should look for with speakers.
I am going with Marantz PM6007 and any idea about Magnat Tempus 33 bookshelf speakers. Came across them in my search on the web. Auditro here has them and price is within my budget.
Can you take the trouble to check and let me know.

Not heard of them. Specs look good.
Thanks ssf for taking the trouble.
Actually I too hadn't heard about them till I was going through the website of Auditro (https://www.auditro.systems) where it was listed. And as you say the specs look good and the price was within my reach.
So I called up Auditro and spoke with the owner Mr Akshay Mittal and he said that he would give me a discount of 20% on the price. Good so far.
But the downside is that he doesn't have them on audition and I will have to pre-book them.
I'll be going there tomorrow to check things out to get some idea.

For that listening choice a decent bookshelf with six inch woofer should suffice. Avoid spending money on a sub or floor-stander (3 way) and use that money for a better bookshelf. What you need is mid-range tonality and sweetness - something which bookshelves deliver better (at a given price point). Select an amp that synergises well with the speaker you choose.

Rega Planar 1 TT
Marantz PM6007 amp

Anil’s suggestions are usually fail-safe. He suggests combos that go well with each other. Years ago I went to audition the Wharfedales at his place. When he understood my music choice (quite similar to yours) he suggested I audition another speaker-amp pair he had. It was spot on for me... been happy with it over five years now.

Last edited:
Thanks ssf for taking the trouble.
Actually I too hadn't heard about them till I was going through the website of Auditro (https://www.auditro.systems) where it was listed. And as you say the specs look good and the price was within my reach.
So I called up Auditro and spoke with the owner Mr Akshay Mittal and he said that he would give me a discount of 20% on the price. Good so far.
But the downside is that he doesn't have them on audition and I will have to pre-book them.
I'll be going there tomorrow to check things out to get some idea.
Since you have an option to listen to speakers at your city, I would suggest that you listen to as many speakers and brands as possible in your budget. You can go for multiple auditions if you like. I don't think that you should pre-book without a listen. The site you posted has quite a few of the popular brands like Fine audio, ELAC, Q Accoustics, KEF etc. Listen to all that he has on stock. Take your time and decide after repeated audition.

Edit: While auditioning, speakers that are a bit treble strong or bass heavy may impress at first listen but may be fatiguing to listen to over extended periods.

Last edited:
Checkout Monitor Audio and Sonus Faber at Watteffects. Auditro should have Fyne Audio.
Thanks shuv for your suggestions.
Searching the web I think the Sonus Faber is out of my league.
About the other two I'll try to check them out.
I plan on speaking to Mr. Krish of Whateffects either tomorrow or the day after and see what happens. BTW have you listened to any of them & what's your opinion if any.

For that listening choice a decent bookshelf with six inch woofer should suffice. Avoid spending money on a sub or floor-stander (3 way) and use that money for a better bookshelf. What you need is mid-range tonality and sweetness - something which bookshelves deliver better (at a given price point). Select an amp that synergises well with the speaker you choose.

Anil’s suggestions are usually fail-safe. He suggests combos that go well with each other. Years ago I went to audition the Wharfedales at his place. When he understood my music choice (quite similar to yours) he suggested I audition another speaker-amp pair he had. It was spot on for me... been happy with it over five years now.
Good advice sachinvchavan 15865. Thanks for that.
So if I go for what Mr. Anil suggested but instead of WD 12.1 I choose the WD 12.2 do you think it will be ok for my choice of music.
Can you tell me what Mr. Anil suggested for you if it's not a problem.

So if I go for what Mr. Anil suggested but instead of WD 12.1 I choose the WD 12.2 do you think it will be ok for my choice of music.
Allot the highest budget for your speakers. Amps you can always later on upgrade.
And nothing beats hearing with own ears. You are in Kolkata so use that opportunity to audition as many speakers as you can. :)

Since you have an option to listen to speakers at your city, I would suggest that you listen to as many speakers and brands as possible in your budget. You can go for multiple auditions if you like. I don't think that you should pre-book without a listen. The site you posted has quite a few of the popular brands like Fine audio, ELAC, Q Accoustics, KEF etc. Listen to all that he has on stock. Take your time and decide after repeated audition.

Edit: While auditioning, speakers that are a bit treble strong or bass heavy may impress at first listen but may be fatiguing to listen to over extended periods.
I am planning of going to Auditro tomorrow get some auditions. Only thing I don't know what they have setup for auditions or will they allow me to pick and choose.
BTW have you come across Marantz PM7005 amp. Mr. Mittal (Auditro) is offering them at a discount but price is higher than the PM6007.

Allot the highest budget for your speakers. Amps you can always later on upgrade.
And nothing beats hearing with own ears. You are in Kolkata so use that opportunity to audition as many speakers as you can. :)
Thanks Bloom@83. I am planning to do the rounds from tomorrow starting with Auditro. Let us see what comes out.
Before coming on to this forum I had no idea there is so much to buying a good hifi music system. But now it seems I have to really apply my mind to it.

Please check if the amp suggested can easily drive the 12.2 with sufficient headroom. Ideally the volume knob shouldn‘t be needed to move beyond 11 am position.

It was the Castle Knight 2 with Audiolab 8200A. Castles are from same corporate as Wharfedale, similar English speaker (polite) characteristic, but with added sweetness that suits our (mostly acoustic) music. You can literally listen to these kind of speakers all day without an ounce of fatigue. Some more of our FMs got them over the years and have been largely satisfied. But I doubt they’re available anymore. Ask Anil if he expecting any shipments in the near future. He has imported batches sporadically.

I am planning of going to Auditro tomorrow get some auditions. Only thing I don't know what they have setup for auditions or will they allow me to pick and choose.
BTW have you come across Marantz PM7005 amp. Mr. Mittal (Auditro) is offering them at a discount but price is higher than the PM6007.
The PM7005 has a DAC which is of no use to you since your source is TT Instead, you can buy better speakers as speakers are what makes the biggest contribution to good sound.

I currently have a Denon PMA720AE, which is a 50 watt amp and this amp has no issues driving my Quad S2, Wharfdale D225 and the Quad 12L2s.

They should definitely allow you to pick and choose the speakers and amp that you want.

The PM7005 has a DAC which is of no use to you since your source is TT Instead, you can buy better speakers as speakers are what makes the biggest contribution to good sound.

I currently have a Denon PMA720AE, which is a 50 watt amp and this amp has no issues driving my Quad S2, Wharfdale D225 and the Quad 12L2s.

They should definitely allow you to pick and choose the speakers and amp that you want.
Hi Ssf,

Which one sounds better between the Denon integrated vs Marantz avr driving your Quads for stereo listening? Thanks.

Regards,
Nitin

Last edited:
Please check if the amp suggested can easily drive the 12.2 with sufficient headroom. Ideally the volume knob shouldn‘t be needed to move beyond 11 am position.

It was the Castle Knight 2 with Audiolab 8200A. Castles are from same corporate as Wharfedale, similar English speaker (polite) characteristic, but with added sweetness that suits our (mostly acoustic) music. You can literally listen to these kind of speakers all day without an ounce of fatigue. Some more of our FMs got them over the years and have been largely satisfied. But I doubt they’re available anymore. Ask Anil if he expecting any shipments in the near future. He has imported batches sporadically.
Thanks for the info sachinchavan 15865. Both the CK2 speakers and Audiolab 8200A are not available now.
The Audiolabs available cost quite a bit. The one in Hifimart (int amp) costs 90k, way out of my budget.

Thanks ssf. Actually I too was thinking on those lines. Besides, the Marantz PM7005 is discontinued so after sales service could be an issue here.
Anyway I will be checking out some speakers in the near future so let's see what happens.

Thanks for the info sachinchavan 15865. Both the CK2 speakers and Audiolab 8200A are not available now.
The Audiolabs available cost quite a bit. The one in Hifimart (int amp) costs 90k, way out of my budget.
Edit: Hifimart is selling the Marantz PM6007 and Wharfdale Diamond 12.2 as a combo so I think it will be ok.

Since Mittal's place is on Park Street, I would avoid visiting the bars before the audition. :p
SKS has Wharfedales. They're in Behala.

Since Mittal's place is on Park Street, I would avoid visiting the bars before the audition. :p
SKS has Wharfedales. They're in Behala.
Sure thing ssf. My poison is usually water, coke(liquid type) and tea. So no issues there.
I tried connecting with SKS but couldn't connect. Maybe I'll try again later. Thanks.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back