Setting up stereo hifi music system

Sure thing ssf. My poison is usually water, coke(liquid type) and tea. So no issues there.
I tried connecting with SKS but couldn't connect. Maybe I'll try again later. Thanks.
Harmonie Audio and Wattfeffects have the widest range of gear.

Please check if the amp suggested can easily drive the 12.2 with sufficient headroom. Ideally the volume knob shouldn‘t be needed to move beyond 11 am position.

It was the Castle Knight 2 with Audiolab 8200A. Castles are from same corporate as Wharfedale, similar English speaker (polite) characteristic, but with added sweetness that suits our (mostly acoustic) music. You can literally listen to these kind of speakers all day without an ounce of fatigue. Some more of our FMs got them over the years and have been largely satisfied. But I doubt they’re available anymore. Ask Anil if he expecting any shipments in the near future. He has imported batches sporadically.
Castle were good speakers and so were totem. Not sure about the availability.

Castle definitely worth a shot.

Why not consider active speakers? Unless you have a super tight budget, excellent options are available in the market.

Hi Ssf,

Which one sounds better between the Denon integrated vs Marantz avr driving your Quads for stereo listening? Thanks.

Regards,
Nitin
Hi Nitin,

When I had the Marantz PM8006 earlier, I had posted that I could not see the difference between the PM8006 and my Marantz SR7010. I got a bit of flak for it.

The Denon PMA 720AE has a different sound signature. A bit recessed in the top end and a bit boosted in the lower frequencies which might give an impression of a more powerful amp than the Marantz SR7010.

I am ok with either.

On a side note, I have the Amphion 410 with me right now. Tiny speakers but amazing quality. All those looking for a small footprint but amazing sound should definitely give the Amphions a listen.

https://avshack.in/products/amphion-helium-410-bookshelf-speaker-pair

Hi Nitin,

When I had the Marantz PM8006 earlier, I had posted that I could not see the difference between the PM8006 and my Marantz SR7010. I got a bit of flak for it.

The Denon PMA 720AE has a different sound signature. A bit recessed in the top end and a bit boosted in the lower frequencies which might give an impression of a more powerful amp than the Marantz SR7010.

I am ok with either.

On a side note, I have the Amphion 410 with me right now. Tiny speakers but amazing quality. All those looking for a small footprint but amazing sound should definitely give the Amphions a listen.

https://avshack.in/products/amphion-helium-410-bookshelf-speaker-pair
Thanks Ssf for the explanation. I was a bit curious too when I had heard certain integrated amps and avr's in my setup too and confirms with your's and Y. Manohar's thoughts . Offcourse certainly not a thumb rule though as it would vary with other brands.
Now-a-days for a small room where one cannot have dedicated components there are certain avr's which do a decent job for music and movies. Only issue is when the video formats and the resolution gets outdated, then you have to get a new avr.
Great that you are enjoying the Amphions. How do they stack up against the Quads ?

Regards,
Nitin

Only issue is when the video formats and the resolution gets outdated, then you have to get a new avr.
With ARC/e-ARC getting mainstream, we probably don't depend on AVR any longer for video processing. Let TV do that, and AVR process the audio. That said, IMHO, one can easily use an AVR for a few years without having to worry about formats these days unless the electronics go belly up.

With ARC/e-ARC getting mainstream, we probably don't depend on AVR any longer for video processing. Let TV do that, and AVR process the audio. That said, IMHO, one can easily use an AVR for a few years without having to worry about formats these days unless the electronics go belly up.
That's great . Pardon my ignorance but in an earc connection, how does one use only the video signal from the TV and audio processing via the avr (assuming the avr does not support a newer image format being played) with a single Hdmi cable.
I am assuming this would work only in the case of streaming.

Another scenario would be while playing a Bluray disc or a mkv file via usb with newer image formats which the avr does not support. Here I am not sure if the TV 's earc function will come into play if another source is being used.

Apologising to the OP for digressing. This can be deleted if irrelevant.

Regards,
Nitin

That's great . Pardon my ignorance but in an earc connection, how does one use only the video signal from the TV and audio processing via the avr (assuming the avr does not support a newer image format being played) with a single Hdmi cable.
I am assuming this would work only in the case of streaming.

Another scenario would be while playing a Bluray disc or a mkv file via usb with newer image formats which the avr does not support. Here I am not sure if the TV 's earc function will come into play if another source is being used.

Apologising to the OP for digressing. This can be deleted if irrelevant.

Regards,
Nitin
All Video Source > TV (Via HDMI (most of the TVs these days have 3 HDMI) /USB (mkv is just a container, it supports a variety of codecs)) > TV will Process the Video > Strip out the Audio > Passthrough the Audio to AVR (via e-ARC) > AVR will process the Audio.

All your scenarios are covered.

All Video Source > TV (Via HDMI (most of the TVs these days have 3 HDMI) /USB (mkv is just a container, it supports a variety of codecs)) > TV will Process the Video > Strip out the Audio > Passthrough the Audio to AVR (via e-ARC) > AVR will process the Audio.

All your scenarios are covered.
Thanks for the explanation OM_2K19

Now-a-days for a small room where one cannot have dedicated components there are certain avr's which do a decent job for music and movies. Only issue is when the video formats and the resolution gets outdated, then you have to get a new avr.
I connect all my video sources directly to the TV, so this is not an issue.

Great that you are enjoying the Amphions. How do they stack up against the Quads ?
The Amphions are on loan. They are very similar to the Quads. Maybe the Quads are a bit more airy at the top end but the speakers with such a small form factor to sound like they do really surprised me.

Fyne audio f302 floorstanding or Dali spektor 6 floorstanding with marantz pm6007 and project debut carbon essential tt.
Any views about which speakers will sound better for 2.0 hifi system

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back