Setting up stereo hifi music system

Listner

Hi everyone,
I am absolutely brand new to this forum as a member although I have been reading quite a few posts about audio hifi systems offline.
I am happy to join this forum and need some expert advice on setting up a stereo music system.
I have a lot of records of Indian classical music, ghazals Tagore songs, old hindi film songs and records of Neil Diamond ABBA Carpenters Lobo Shirley Bassey and such like and also a good collection of CDs mainly of Indian classical.
In the 80s I had bought a Philips amplifier and turntable which are now defunct although the speakers are fine but with 2pin din connecters which are obsolete.
Now I want a new set up and in trying to find a good arrangement I came in contact with Sonodyne Area Sales Manager and he suggested the following--
1. Marantz pm7005 amplifier.
2. Marantz TT 5005 turntable.
3. Sonodyne Sonus 3155 tower speakers.
All this for a package of 1.15k.
Any suggestions, discussions will be valuable and very welcome.
I am from Kolkata
Thanks.

Hi everyone,
I am absolutely brand new to this forum as a member although I have been reading quite a few posts about audio hifi systems offline.
I am happy to join this forum and need some expert advice on setting up a stereo music system.
I have a lot of records of Indian classical music, ghazals Tagore songs, old hindi film songs and records of Neil Diamond ABBA Carpenters Lobo Shirley Bassey and such like and also a good collection of CDs mainly of Indian classical.
In the 80s I had bought a Philips amplifier and turntable which are now defunct although the speakers are fine but with 2pin din connecters which are obsolete.
Now I want a new set up and in trying to find a good arrangement I came in contact with Sonodyne Area Sales Manager and he suggested the following--
I am from Kolkata
Thanks.
Hi everyone,
I am from Kolkata
Thanks.
Sonodyne sell marantz ?

Welcome !

Neil Diamond, Carpenters, lobo, Shirley Bassey will definitely be enjoyable on the marantz.

I havent heard the sonodyne products in a while. You could ask him for a demo and take your music with you for the demo and get back to us here about your experience.

Sonodyne sell marantz ?

Welcome !

Neil Diamond, Carpenters, lobo, Shirley Bassey will definitely be enjoyable on the marantz.

I havent heard the sonodyne products in a while. You could ask him for a demo and take your music with you for the demo and get back to us here about your experience.

Hi Manek,
Thanks for your response. Yes I definitely will ask for a demo with my music and get back. Can you check the sonodyne speakers on the net and give your views.
Thanks.

Does anyone in the forum have any experience with Sonodyne Sonus 3155 tower speakers. I want to match them with Marantz PM7005 amps.

Hi everyone,
I am from Kolkata
Thanks.
Hi everyone,
I am from Kolkata
Thanks.
Sonodyne sell marantz ?

Welcome !

Hi Manek,
Thanks for your response. Yes I definitely will ask for a demo with my music and get back. Can you check the sonodyne speakers on the net and give your views.
Thanks.
i did check earlier on. Not able to deduce much from the website apart from the fact that they are made with smaller 5inch bass drivers which may be meant for smaller listening areas or for playing music that's not very bass heavy. Seeing from the list of music above it may just be the right one for you.

Whats your listening area like ?

Thanks,
My room size is about 15ft×13ft but my set up space is limited to about six & half ft only.
Yes, I too think that the speakers are a little low on bass and do you have any other suggestions on this at this price point (42k).
Earlier I used to listen with a Philips AH455 speakers which had a rounded sound at low to medium vol but got distorted at a slightly higher vols.
Any views on the amplifier? Pl do share.

Thanks,
My room size is about 15ft×13ft but my set up space is limited to about six & half ft only.

Yes, I too think that the speakers are a little low on bass and do you have any other suggestions on this at this price point (42k).
Your room and speaker placement have a bigger impact on bass response than specs on a speaker alone.
You'll be better served with Bookshelves with a Subwoofer, considering your placement limitations.

Advantages being:
1) You can move around the subwoofer for a suitable bass response at your listening position. Finding the right spot and balance could be tedious, but with a little patience and effort, it is easily accomplished.
2) You have the flexibility to place bookshelves closer to the front wall than floorstanders, useful for setups with limited speaker placement options.
3) Bookshelves can sound "bassy enough".

My suggestion would be:
Integrated Amplifier - SMSL 300 https://www.headphonezone.in/products/s-m-s-l-a300?_pos=1&_psq=a300&_ss=e&_v=1.0
Bookshelves: Mission QX-2 https://avshack.in/products/mission-qx-2-6-5-bookshelf-surround-speakers-pair

Someone else could chime in on your requirement for a turntable. Try this setup first, if you feel the need for more bass then you can always add a subwoofer later.

Alternative speaker options:
KEF Q150
Q Acoustics 3030i
Q Acoustics M20 HD - (Powerful enough package with more than decent impressions from fellow forumers.)

Cheers & Happy hunting!

The Marantz 5005 TT is pretty basic. Look at Pro-ject/Rega.
Do you have to have floor standers? Have you considered stand mounters in the same price range? Yes, getting stands would be an added expense. But, the 7005 is a pretty capable amp and your selected components may not do it proper justice.

Thanks aeroash and shuv for your views. But I am getting confused. As you can see I am on a tight budget INR 1.15k to 1.20k. So I have to work within this ie. Speaker, amplifier and turntable all in that amt. So help me guys.

But I am getting confused. As you can see I am on a tight budget INR 1.15k to 1.20k. So I have to work within this ie. Speaker, amplifier and turntable all in that amt. So help me guys.
What's the confusion? The suggestions were made keeping your budget in mind, as per Post #1.

Actually confused is the wrong word, spoilt for choice really. So I have shortlisted the following - Project Debut lll with OMSE Cartridge.
Mission QX-2 bookshelf speakers and
Marantz PM 7005 or 6007 amp.
I am not really a basshead but I prefer a balanced sound and clarity.
Pl note that my chief sound source will be vinyl recs.

Thanks,
Earlier I used to listen with a Philips AH455 speakers which had a rounded sound at low to medium vol but got distorted at a slightly higher vols.
Any views on the amplifier? Pl do share.
Actually for your room and listening size these should be more than sufficient. Remember in typical (but not all) indian homes with concrete walls and tiled floors there is a significant bass amplitude lift of 3-6db so you should be fine. Good bookshelves with 6-7inch mid-bass drivers would do well too.

Actually confused is the wrong word, spoilt for choice really. So I have shortlisted the following - Project Debut lll with OMSE Cartridge.
Mission QX-2 bookshelf speakers and
Marantz PM 7005 or 6007 amp.
I am not really a basshead but I prefer a balanced sound and clarity.
Pl note that my chief sound source will be vinyl recs.
If your chief source is vinyls then you should consider the Project Debut Carbon instead of the Debut III. Reason:
Debut III only 11" platter, Debut Carbon 12" alloy platter;
A vinyl record is 12" in diameter.
-Debut III low-end cart, Debut Carbon has Ortofon Red cart (that you can always upgrade in future to the fantastic Blue )
-Debut Carbon has better motor suspension. (less noise)
-Debut Carbon has a one-piece carbon-fiber tonearm.

I can't seem to find Project Debut Carbon TT anywhere here. It's either Evo or Espirit which makes it way over budget. Which other TT would you suggest
I am also considering either the Elac Debut 2.0 B6 2 or Mission QX-2 bookshelf speakers.
Thanks everyone for your views.

I can't seem to find Project Debut Carbon TT anywhere here. It's either Evo or Espirit which makes it way over budget. Which other TT would you suggest
I am also considering either the Elac Debut 2.0 B6 2 or Mission QX-2 bookshelf speakers.
Thanks everyone for your views.
In that case consider Rega Planar 1.

Also , don’t go for B6.2 Elac. It’s nowhere near as good as the original B6. And B6 needs separates (preferably Tube pre and a powerful solid state power amp ) for it to shine.
Of course if you like B6.2 on auditioning , by all means go ahead.

About Rega Planar 1 I have heard that accessories could be an issue and that one has to buy only from them esp. cart. Can you shed some light on this. What about Denon 29f or 300f TT.
No, I haven't auditioned the Elac B6 2 so I don't know much about it except through some reviews & utube and what you hae said could pose a problem for me.
Hifimart is selling combo of Wharfdale 12.2 & Marantz Pm6007 for 75k. Is that ok to buy.

About Rega Planar 1 I have heard that accessories could be an issue and that one has to buy only from them esp. cart. Can you shed some light on this. What about Denon 29f or 300f TT.
The Denon entry level TTs are toys.
Planar 1s don’t have any such issue - you can upgrade it to any one of the better carts from Ortofon, AT , Nagaoka etc. The stock cart isn’t bad at all.

Can’t comment on those speakers.

Thanks for that. I'll definitely consider it.
One important thing, is purchasing from hifimart safe. Any opinions on this. Are the products brand new and shipped on time with replacement if any issues or damaged.

Thanks for that. I'll definitely consider it.
One important thing, is purchasing from hifimart safe. Any opinions on this. Are the products brand new and shipped on time with replacement if any issues or damaged.
Hi yes HiFiMART is very reliable. Many of us have bought equipment from here over the years.You can talk with the owner Anil , he’s a very nice gentleman and can answer all your concerns.

Thanks Bloom@83 for your post. Yes I'll definitely speak with Mr. Anil. Your words are a big help.
I have never made a purchase from this site and as the amount is substantial I am a bit concerned.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back