Setup For Streaming Music

Hey

Please see my reply below in bold

Does your Denon have wireless/wifi connectivity, could not find the details?---NOit doesnot have wifi and even lan connectivity
If it does, simply share folder/files/drive on your PC and output to the Denon. Ditto for smartphone or tablet.--> so this one is out of question.

Otherwise install a media server on your PC (Plex, Subsonic, etc.) and install BubbleUPnP on your smartphone/tablet (Android device) and output to any Bluetooth enabled speakers or AVR.----> I have windows XP and i can install the software but how do i stream the music i guess u have to use some device to streame the music from PC? what device u are using...
and my AVR is not bluethooth enabled not it has Lan connectivity so i cannt put lan connectivity also

heres the pic of the back side of my avr denon 1312

denon-avr-1312_1.jpg

and what setup u have and how do you streame ur music...can u gv me ur specs and how thats been setup..that would be great

Ok, for starters see if you can upgrade to Windows 7, its better than XP, especially for sharing/streaming.

You don't need any specific device to stream from Windows PC. Simply share the folder or drive and it shows up on the network. Any other device on the same network (wifi in this case) can access those files or folder shared on a Windows PC. Though I do recommend Windows 7 for this... it works the best and XP is limited and not updated. Check this tutorial on how to set it up - Simple Windows 7 File Sharing: Step-By-Step Procedure.

Seeing your AVR does not have wireless or wired connectivity, but does have HDMI the best option will be to get Chromecast and plug it into one of the HDMI inputs. That way your AVR will show up in the list of wireless devices.

How to get it to work...

1. Set up file/folder sharing on your PC (prefer Windows 7). Copy the music/movie files you want to stream into that shared drive/folder. See above tutorial.
2. Access that shared drive/folder from any devices on the same network, smartphones, tablets, other PCs, laptops, all can access the files and play them. Now if you can play the music on your smartphone or tablet then simply connect to Bluetooth speakers and you have wireless streaming for music. Ditto for movies.
3. Access the files from a smartphone and output to Chromecast (connected to your AVR). The Chromecast will show up on your Android smartphone. I'm not too sure if you will get HD audio this way (I've read conflicting reports online of yes and no) so better to borrow a Chromecast and test it out.
4. If you have an old PC or laptop then simply connect to the AVR (via HDMI) and use a smartphone or wireless keyboard to access the PC. Same objective is met here.

My system -
1. 2 PCs running Windows 7 64-bit and 32-bit with shared drives.
2. Chromecast (loaned out).
3. Roku.
4. AC Wireless Network (2 routers).
5. 2 AVRs (Onkyo and Marantz with wireless connectivity).
6. Lots of smartphones, tablets, laptops, and 2 smart TVs.

Everything runs on the same wireless network and every device can access files on the 2 PCs that are shared (same as tutorial above). Files can be accessed via smartphones and tablets (mainly for music) and via Roku and smart TVs for movies.

Connections -
1. Both PCs (with shared drives) are connected to the main router via ethernet. One more router acts as a repeater.
2. All other devices are connected via wifi and can access all shared content on the PCs.
3. Rest is easy, simply use the wireless devices to access the PCs and shared drives.

Hey Bumblebee thanks a lot for your advise.

One question, u said u have Xonar ST on your PC, so if u r steaming music from ur PC how iwll Xonar ST come in picture.

Can you please explain how are you making use of ur soundcard?

Regards,
Srijith

Yes indeed, informative and in simple words by musicbee (apt name as well :lol: ).

My current setup is a few external hard disks with lot of FLAC, plugged into my laptop running JRiver. Laptop is connected to my NAD 356 amp to its inbuilt DAC module via USB cable. Using JRiver Gizmo on android. Very happy. Wife is very happy with the FM/AM tuner.

A minor issue for me is that I have to be where the laptop is to do some other work on it. Cannot take it elsewhere at home without unplugging it from the amp. I have a good but dated SONY TV with a LAN port but not WiFi ready. Needs a ridiculously priced proprietary SONY WiFi dongle which I wouldn't buy even if it was easily available in India. So I simply use a HDMI cable from laptop to the TV and use the sound of the amp if required.

I have an ASUS dual band router with a 2 TB HDD connected to it, using the router's inbuilt "Download Master" feature to download torrents and this HDD is a networked drive so my wife can backup her stuff on it. Yes it is on USB and slow, but hey it serves the purpose.

Getting a wifi enabled network player :licklips: seems like a good way to go or maybe a NAS / HTPC. But considering the price, I would be more inclined to get a wired Network player with an inbuilt amp like the Marantz M-CR603.
If I do so, how could I playback FLAC from my laptop wirelessly. I have a LAN wall port near my TV and racks, so connecting the CR603 to my router is not an issue. Are there any other devices which can utilize the 5 GHz band of the router.

Many thanks in advance.

If you purchase Marantz M-CR603, its DLNA compatible, you already are using Jriver, just enable the DLNA under Jriver, add the library, and choose Marantz M-CR603 as the renderer, you can then play all your FLACS, wirelessly from your laptop to your speakers via Marantz M-CR603.....simple :)

BTW I am achieving the same via Rasp-pi running MoOd, connected to E10-FiiO DAC to AudioEngine A5+ speakers, controlling it via Jriver running on my laptop wirelessly .... Library is picked from my NAS Synology DS413j

If you purchase Marantz M-CR603, its DLNA compatible, you already are using Jriver, just enable the DLNA under Jriver, add the library, and choose Marantz M-CR603 as the renderer, you can then play all your FLACS, wirelessly from your laptop to your speakers via Marantz M-CR603.....simple :)

BTW I am achieving the same via Rasp-pi running MoOd, connected to E10-FiiO DAC to AudioEngine A5+ speakers, controlling it via Jriver running on my laptop wirelessly .... Library is picked from my NAS Synology DS413j

Hello Sam9s, Thanks for the info. Also to let you know that still reading all your wonderful reviews on Synology NAS. Out of the country now, hope to set up something when I am back.

Assuming that I have the Marantz M-CR603, I simply connect the 603 to my router, make settings as you say and that's it. FLAC is going to be played back wirelessy using my router's wifi and I am assuming that it will have nothing to do with my data plan. I guess if I find my laptop's inbuilt wifi card maybe a bit dated or not upto the task then I can also disable it and add an external USB wifi adapter.

Yep its that simple ... connect your 603 to your router, you laptop should also belong to the same LAN and you will be able to wirelessly stream your FLACs as high as 24/192 easily via jriver. Your data plan (or broadband) has nothing to do it, except when jriver downloads metadata and coverart from online database ....

laptop inbuilt wifi card is usually much better than any external dongle, however if for any reason the inbuilt one is not performing up to the mark you can try the external one.

Last edited:
Just to share how I did it...

My music lies in a Windows PC on which I have enabled Homegroup and marked the folder containing the music for read-only sharing. Formats are either WAV or 320 MP3 or WMA

I locate the file to play through a Dell Android Tab and using the EZ file browser (the shared Windows folder appears in the Tab) and redirect the output via Bluetooth to a Belkin BT adapter which is connected to my Pioneer SA 940 Stereo Amp and Pioneer Tower speakers.

Needless to say the Homegroup is shared across a Wifi connnection

I am not so much of a purist and this setup is OK; plays without any stuttering/pauses; definitely the sound quality/clarity/richness is less than when the same music is played in a DVD player connected to the Pioneer Amp - but quite OK.

In case this helps..

Note: subsequently I upgraded to Windows 10 and need to setup the homegroup again:indifferent14:

0.02 $

Athulan

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back