SFP, Media Converter, Fiber optic, Copper isolation

Hi bornfi
I thought I will have to wait at least 100 hours to get results.
But now after 5 hours I am listening to a pair of different speakers.
My bookshelf speakers are sounding so big. Soundstage is huge with totally dark backgrounds. Very listenable even at higher volume.
Thanks a lot for the advise. I was on the verge of spending on Optical Rendu. Deal was almost final only he didn’t have stock of optical module which is expected very soon.

Hi bornfi
I thought I will have to wait at least 100 hours to get results.
But now after 5 hours I am listening to a pair of different speakers.
My bookshelf speakers are sounding so big. Soundstage is huge with totally dark backgrounds. Very listenable even at higher volume.
Thanks a lot for the advise. I was on the verge of spending on Optical Rendu. Deal was almost final only he didn’t have stock of optical module which is expected very soon.
Great! I think this is going to be one of the foundation pillars of any digital playback system.

I like to emphasize that this is not only for folks using Ethernet but also for those who rely on wifi; switch to wired connection, you will love it.

@bornfi , as I understood from speaking with Santosh sir yesterday, the above method is basically converting the LAN signal into optical to remove the impurities in sound and reconverting it into LAN to send to the streamer from where it sends the cleaner signal through USB to the DAC.. Hope I am correct in assessing the situation here..

My question would be: why not convert the USB signal into optical and then send it either as an optical signal or reconvert the same into the USB signal to send to the DAC? Is it not possible and if it is then are there any convertors in the market doing the same? I am aware of the ifi silencer and USB Purify products as well as the Jitterbug but I don't think they do much to the USB signal per the peer reviews...

My question would be: why not convert the USB signal into optical and then send it either as an optical signal or reconvert the same into the USB signal to send to the DAC? Is it not possible and if it is then are there any convertors in the market doing the same? I am aware of the ifi silencer and USB Purify products as well as the Jitterbug but I don't think they do much to the USB signal per the peer reviews...
I have a BT transceiver that takes BT/toslink/aux in and BT/toslink/aux out (based on preference).

And what you mean to say is that if I feed a DAC with optical out from the transceiver, there should be zero loss or change from the signal recieved?

Asking this so that I can skip getting a DAC with BT built-in. Pls let me know.

My question would be: why not convert the USB signal into optical and then send it either as an optical signal or reconvert the same into the USB signal to send to the DAC? Is it not possible and if it is then are there any convertors in the market doing the same?
Yes, you can and you should try but since USB contains both data and power lines, I am not 100% certain if it will work with DAC. Please do a Google search with 'USB over fiber', you will see such items.

I am aware of the ifi silencer and USB Purify products as well as the Jitterbug but I don't think they do much to the USB signal per the peer reviews...

I recently installed https://electronics-shop.dk/galvanically-usb_isolation in my system and I hear the benefit.

Yes, you can and you should try but since USB contains both data and power lines, I am not 100% certain if it will work with DAC. Please do a Google search with 'USB over fiber', you will see such items.

PS Audio LANRover does Ethernet to USB

Great! I think this is going to be one of the foundation pillars of any digital playback system.

I like to emphasize that this is not only for folks using Ethernet but also for those who rely on wifi; switch to wired connection, you will love it.
Hi bornfi,
Listening to music from my bookshelf speakers I can say differences are not subtle but are huge. The speakers are sounding so much bigger and cleaner. Improvements in all frequencies.

Discontinued product sir.. Just checked.. Also I am running Windows 7 for the music laptop so looking at a simple but effective USB clean up.. Ifi and uptone Regen don't bring a substantial change even though they are simple and easy to use and install..

But they again bring in the Ethernet cable that we are trying to avoid. We need to find a fiber based solution.

We should be looking at something like this.

But they again bring in the Ethernet cable that we are trying to avoid. We need to find a fiber based solution.

We should be looking at something like this.

How about this 4 ports LAN and 2 ports SFP
After converting LAN signal to Optical you can connect 4 units using LAN cable.
I already have have TP Link unit with single LAN and SFP ports.

Attachments

• 63806A80-200D-4E1C-B8CE-DFC5B196B358.png
    63806A80-200D-4E1C-B8CE-DFC5B196B358.png
    913.7 KB · Views: 11
How about this 4 ports LAN and 2 ports SFP
After converting LAN signal to Optical you can connect 4 units using LAN cable.
I already have have TP Link unit with single LAN and SFP ports.
But we switched gear a bit to usb over fiber from Ethernet over fiber and I was suggesting a product for usb over fiber.

I have a BT transceiver that takes BT/toslink/aux in and BT/toslink/aux out (based on preference).

And what you mean to say is that if I feed a DAC with optical out from the transceiver, there should be zero loss or change from the signal recieved?

Asking this so that I can skip getting a DAC with BT built-in. Pls let me know.
Bump, to understand if noise filtering is the key process.

Bump, to understand if noise filtering is the key process.

I really do not know how to answer this. I started this thread because I realized benefit replacing large section of Ethernet by fiber and yes, it is most probably related to noise.

I have limited knowledge on BT receivers so, not in a position to help. Please let me know if I misunderstood anything.

I really do not know how to answer this. I started this thread because I realized benefit replacing large section of Ethernet by fiber and yes, it is most probably related to noise.

I have limited knowledge on BT receivers so, not in a position to help. Please let me know if I misunderstood anything.
No problem :) I think I'll wait until Airtel fiber is available in our locality and see if I can request for a modem with 1 or 2 optical out ports! With that in place, I don't have to worry about double conversion.

No problem :) I think I'll wait until Airtel fiber is available in our locality and see if I can request for a modem with 1 or 2 optical out ports! With that in place, I don't have to worry about double conversion.
I don’t think at the present time any of the service provider in India will give you a router with SFP optical port. Even it won’t be available in the market in india. I doubt if there exist a router with SFP port anywhere in the world, Bist I am not sure. But it may come very soon. You need SFP port not the normal optical port which we see at the back of our tv or sound bar.

I don’t think at the present time any of the service provider in India will give you a router with SFP optical port. Even it won’t be available in the market in india. I doubt if there exist a router with SFP port anywhere in the world, Bist I am not sure. But it may come very soon. You need SFP port not the normal optical port which we see at the back of our tv or sound bar.
I understood the difference between the typical optical port and SFP, just mentioned optical since the context was set :)
Also, hope that prices in India get regulated post covid for these devices.

But we switched gear a bit to usb over fiber from Ethernet over fiber and I was suggesting a product for usb over fiber.
bornfi,
My question is can I use TP Link for connecting to router by LAN, than use Fibre optic cable from TP Link to this device that I have posted which has 4 LAN and 2SFP ports. From here I can connect to various devices using 4 LAN ports.

Attachments

• B7FB4D3F-5FAD-43D4-90A2-28F97160164A.jpeg
    B7FB4D3F-5FAD-43D4-90A2-28F97160164A.jpeg
    546.2 KB · Views: 7
bornfi,
My question is can I use TP Link for connecting to router by LAN, than use Fibre optic cable from TP Link to this device that I have posted which has 4 LAN and 2SFP ports. From here I can connect to various devices using 4 LAN ports.
Yes, you can, in fact, I have something similar in my setup.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back