Share your HTPCs/Media Player Horsepower.

^^ Oh man you have used a super powerful computer to perform the test, even if the hardware decoding was disabled I think 4690 must be powerful enough to handle H.265.

ofcouse I didnt mean @ 400mbps, just a generic statement .. :).... but it would be nice to see how far can 4690 handle H.265. Offloaded to 1070 would be a piece of cake @ 400mbps

Last edited:
Posting the image grab.

HEVC.png

Task Manager shows Kodi at 11-15% CPU and around 260MB RAM.

Is this openELEC or windows. In anycase u playing H.265 and Kodi (any version as far as I know) does not support HA on H.265, in your case as well its the CPU that is doing all the work.

Try this .. go to

System > Settings > Video > Playback, and make sure Select Allow hardware acceleration (DXVA2) is selected and then play back 110mbps H.264 jellyfish (1080p)

Press O and then see if HA is working. The second line should have something like dc:ff-h264-dxva2

5thwdGd.jpg

This test is basically for everyone who want to see if Kodi is actually taking advantage of HA (only for H.264 @ 1080p). No H.265.

Last edited:
Is this openELEC or windows. In anycase u playing H.265 and Kodi (any version as far as I know) does not support HA on H.265, in your case as well its the CPU that is doing all the work.

Try this .. go to

System > Settings > Video > Playback, and make sure Select Allow hardware acceleration (DXVA2) is selected and then play back 110mbps H.264 jellyfish (1080p)

Press O and then see if HA is working. The second line should have something like dc:ff-h264-dxva2

5thwdGd.jpg

This test is basically for everyone who want to see if Kodi is actually taking advantage of HA (only for H.264 @ 1080p). No H.265.

Windows Kodi, but older 2nd gen i7.

I'll run it on the weekend and share the results.

When I run a movie file of format x265 HEVC 720p/1080p its stuttering. I mean it seems like it's buffering.

I run it on my DN2820FYKH NUC.

How could I rectify it? I want to run it by using Kodi.

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk

Kodi does not support HA for H.265, and 2820 processor is not fast enough to run HEVC (even though it supports HEVC) so in all awareness you cannot do anything .. :). Even if you do not use Kodi on 2820 the HD 3000 graphics also does not support H.265.

Last edited:
Can anyone update Himedia H8 performance as far as HEVC and HD Audio passthrough goes .....

UPDATE FRIENDS

Got the daddy nVidia Shield TV 500 GB version today. A dedicated thread with detailed review will follow soon in a couple of days. But I just wanted to share the beast's power here quickly.

Will not even share the H.264 results, as trust me that would be a shame to this monster ....lol :D ... Just sharing the H.265 10 Bit results ....

jellyfish-20-mbps-hd-hevc-10bit.mkv ::: Playable
jellyfish-90-mbps-hd-hevc-10bit.mkv ::: Playable
jellyfish-140-mbps-4k-uhd-hevc-10bit.mkv ::: Playable
jellyfish-160-mbps-4k-uhd-hevc-10bit.mkv ::: Playable
jellyfish-200-mbps-4k-uhd-hevc-10bit.mkv ::: Playable

Then I said ...aaaaagh what the heck, and jumped to ....

jellyfish-400-mbps-4k-uhd-hevc-10bit.mkv ::::: Played like a hot knife cuts through butter ...:D :D ...

And compared to this ...

Got a GTX 1070 yesterday and just gave it the beans - 10 bit 400 mbps HEVC plays smooth as silk.

which is like a 40K card itself, this media player blows the socks off anything currently on the planet :p .......

Rest as I said detailed review will follow soon

Last edited:
I think gtx 1060 card (inr 18.5k - should be 15.8k after cashback) might be able to play hevc smoothly as well.

Sent from a handheld device. Some typos might creep in.

UPDATE FRIENDS

Got the daddy nVidia Shield TV 500 GB version today. A dedicated thread with detailed review will follow soon in a couple of days. But I just wanted to share the beast's power here quickly.

Will not even share the H.264 results, as trust me that would be a shame to this monster ....lol :D ... Just sharing the H.265 10 Bit results ....

jellyfish-400-mbps-4k-uhd-hevc-10bit.mkv ::::: Played like a hot knife cuts through butter ...:D :D ...

And compared to this ...

which is like a 40K card itself, this media player blows the socks off anything currently on the planet :p .......

The Shield has been my default player for over 6-8 months now. Pretty much knocks the socks off of everything right now.

But I'm still a madVR lover, so use my HTPC with GTX980 a fair bit too.

However, wireless gaming on the Shield has been a disappointment for me, latency issues especially.

BTW the Shield is no longer in the Google Store and maybe a new model is coming... so a good time to pick it up especially for what it costs.

UPDATE FRIENDS

And compared to this ...

The only difference between the video units of the 1070(Pascal) and Shield TV(Maxwell) is resolution. The Pascals will encode/decode upto 8K HEVC while Maxwell will decode upto 4K HEVC and encode upto 4K H.264. It does not support hardware HEVC encoding.

The Shield has been my default player for over 6-8 months now. Pretty much knocks the socks off of everything right now.

But I'm still a madVR lover, so use my HTPC with GTX980 a fair bit too.

However, wireless gaming on the Shield has been a disappointment for me, latency issues especially.

BTW the Shield is no longer in the Google Store and maybe a new model is coming... so a good time to pick it up especially for what it costs.

Its not the hardware as much as its the software support, firmware upgrades, community presence (which is outstanding). The hardware is quite future proof, it was the firmware that made all the difference, as I have been going through the community thread reading everything I can for this device. nVidia listenes to people and actually makes changes in their upcoming firmwares, which is something I cannot seriously say for any other hardware community support.

Anyway this thread is not for Shield review, but in a nutshell I will say......"EVERYTHING" works on my shield. The only thing that holds the shield back (in case of GE force NOW service GaaS model) is my own broadband's network latency that is not up to the mark, as per shield's network test,(coz it measures from shield servers, which still are at a distance as far as India goes), hence heavy bandwidth games like Tombraider, DOOM does not stream smoothly, rest low profile games like say LEGO Batman and starwars works perfectly, played with my kid yesterday for hours. (its free for first 3 months)

Rest in detail, in my review.

BTW I just wonder, you never mentioned in any of the threads that you own a shield, else I would have asked to quite a few questions myself, as I was planning to purchase it, and I was looking answers outside my "home" :D. And now suddenly just like that you mention its there with you for the past 6-8 months ... :)

Last edited:
The only difference between the video units of the 1070(Pascal) and Shield TV(Maxwell) is resolution. The Pascals will encode/decode upto 8K HEVC while Maxwell will decode upto 4K HEVC and encode upto 4K H.264. It does not support hardware HEVC encoding.

ofcourse a dedicated GPU that too a high profile card like 1070 will take precedence at some point. 4K 400mbps might just be the end point for shield's hardware, but for 1070 it might still be somewhere in middle.

But ofcourse as far as practicality goes, even 4K is not mainstream as of now, let alone 8K, so its pretty future proof, if I can put it that way.

BTW I just wonder, you never mentioned in any of the threads that you own a shield, else I would have asked to quite a few questions myself, as I was planning to purchase it, and I was looking answers outside my "home" :D. And now suddenly just like that you mention its there with you for the past 6-8 months ... :)

I've mentioned it a few times across threads.

Actually I've most of the streaming devices - Roku, CCA, CCV, Fire TV, NVIDIA Shield, Amazon Echo, etc. I even tried Slingbox for a while. Only exception has been the Apple TV (which I never bought) and the Mac Mini (which I got, but gave it to a friend). My good fortune is my company sends folks to US almost every month and everybody is ok with carrying small stuff... its the speakers and amps they cannot carry, and mercifully all of these devices are less than $100 so easy on the wallet too.

mmm I dont have fire TV, and ECHO I am not interested as of now atleast, Google Home is launched so I might be more interested in that, as I think is it a world wide release.
Slingbox is not for India. Apple TV I never will, hate Apple products to the core. The only thing I have is an iPOD 30GB which I bought some 8-9 years back.:)

mmm I dont have fire TV, and ECHO I am not interested as of now atleast, Google Home is launched so I might be more interested in that, as I think is it a world wide release.
Slingbox is not for India. Apple TV I never will, hate Apple products to the core. The only thing I have is an iPOD 30GB which I bought some 8-9 years back.:)
Au Contraire, the apple TV 4 is not a bad platform for Kodi/Netflix/DS Video (if you use synology) at all
I am a big fan of Kodi and have been using it for years including Rpi, Rpi 2 and NUC.
Had more or less settled on the NUC (great PQ, native 24p judder free playback)
However, I was getting a bit tired of the complaints my wife would raise about how Kodi would fail her every once in a while esp when I am not around to troubleshoot (network drops on the Rpi while NUC (Windows) is prone to the usual windows woes .

Picked a ATV 4 and installed the MRMC Kodi fork (only INR 420) on it - I was a bit wary esp because we are used to the judder free native 24p playback on the NUC (ATV does not support 24p)

I have to admit if I am more than pleasantly surprised because:

a) The PQ is as good if not better than the NUC

b) 24p playback even on 60hz is excellent - the ATV is using some sort of interpolation that makes any judder unnoticeable

c) Apple Music - For 120 a month, it is quite possibly the best music streaming service in India

d) Best of all, The UI is excellent and coupled with the very likeable remote makes it easy to flip between photos/music/Kodi in a way that was just not possible on the NUC -Which means other family members tend to use it a lot more than the NUC setup

Only complaint I have is that Siri is not yet enabled for India - But since that was something that I did not have on the NUC anyway, I guess it's ok

I have been using Kodi since the very day of its inception, when it was XBMP (Not XBMC) (and no one had a clue as to what is was) and then actually converted the usage on a dedicated HTPC way back in 2011. (when I could afford one.. :D) Shifted to openELEC and SSD in 2013.
Kodi for windows might not be stable,(hardly used that version) but have been using openELEC since 2013 and it has been nothing short of rock stable, yes initial releases were short on features, but as far as stability and boot timing goes, nothing could beat openELEC. Now I have it on 3 of my boxes (3rd now includes shield which has SPMC) and I am highly satisfied.
Not debating that Apple TV port might not be as good, but Apple ecosystem, just does not entice me

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back