Share your idea or suggest me...I need advice on buying Sub-woofer for 2ch system

Cnu

Hai guys

i need advice on choosing sub-woofer for my 2ch system...my system is marantz pm 8003 and quad 11L classic speakers...these are actually small speakers with great details in highs n mids...but it is not producing bass to its essential...so thought of adding sub-woofer...i need ur advice or u can share ur ideas with me..i will be happy to hear those...Thanks in advance

<a href=http://www.vcq.biz/ >best wallpapers</a>, <a href=http://www.utorrent.name/ >utorrent</a>

I never had good experience using a subwoofer in my stereo chain. I have used a Rel sub and wasnt quite happy with the sound, The music was better with the sub switched off but lacked that low bass.

regards

Cnu,

do you have a subwoofer pre out from your PM8003 or AVR ? If not, then i suppose using sub woofer may not be possible.

Instead why dont you look at going in for Floor Standing Speakers.. assuming budgets are OK with you.

As for my case, i have an AVR thru which i took a pre out to my stereo amp and sub woofer so i am able to work the stereo speakers and the sub woofer.

But this involves many electronic devices... the simple and more "integrated" way out is to go for FS if possible..

good luck !

regards,
mpw

Last edited by a moderator:
@CNU

My recommendation for u is to sell ur Quads and get whatever amount u get from it and then add 30k more to this amount and buy any gud bookshelves. I feel that u will be more more than happy by doing so rather than going for the sub-woofer coz mostly I heard from ppl that adding sub-woofer may ruin the music listening experience.

Just my 2 cents.

Thank you.

You can add sub in the stereo set up. I am using 2 Wharfedale SW150 with 9.1BS.This set up is with few of add-on. In line I have connected Outlaw ICBM and Behringer DSP1124P.

But all this can be done without the fine tuning by simply using the Sub crossover. I think the Marantz has the Pre-out /Main-In. If this is available then its even simpler to use two subs too.:licklips:

based on the above comments, you might want to decide on a separate sub or floorstanders. Every ones taste is different so you might want to stick with your idea. But doing auditions with subs are the best way. If you could get your friend's sub if available for few days, you will get an idea.

30k is decent amount and you can go for Quad 22L floor standers itself for that additional bass. lets know

@mpw : It has pre-out connectivity...so sub is feasible to add...but d only prob is whether it get synchronised with sub or not

@abhi : you are right...most of the people said the same...it will ruin the music...but the clarity of quad11L classic is what best i heard out of so many i heard with marantz..(to my ears)..so cant go for other bookshelves...

@others : my amp has 70w output....so before buying speakers i enquired and people said that it cannot drive the floor stand speakers(quad22l2~150w) to its full potential...and i have to keep higher output to listen normal...which will again ruin music quality...as the amp is required to run heavily to drive those speakers normally....

so thought of adding sub...if my idea is not right...please correct me

@mpw : It has pre-out connectivity...so sub is feasible to add...but d only prob is whether it get synchronised with sub or not

@abhi : you are right...most of the people said the same...it will ruin the music...but the clarity of quad11L classic is what best i heard out of so many i heard with marantz..(to my ears)..so cant go for other bookshelves...

@others : my amp has 70w output....so before buying speakers i enquired and people said that it cannot drive the floor stand speakers(quad22l2~150w) to its full potential...and i have to keep higher output to listen normal...which will again ruin music quality...as the amp is required to run heavily to drive those speakers normally....

===================================================

Cnu,

if it has a pre out, then you can add a sub. I listen to 2 ch with sub too ( 2.1 ) but thru my AVR and i find no sync problems. A Marantz at 70W output should be able to drive the quad 22 ( just googled to find the recommended amp power is from 50 - 300 W ).

The reason why i mentioned FS is that FS gives a more "integrated" sound as compared to 2 BS + sub. Not that the latter is too bad.

There is a Jamo sub 200 in the for sale section. Its not too expensive ( i recall about Rs 8000 ). maybe you could try how it sounds. If you dont like it, you may put it back in the market without too much loss of capital. Some may say i am nuts but i think you could take a "low cost risk" to find out how a sub integrates with your system without spending 30k on a new sub.

You never know - all that the BS requires is a bit of padding up at the low end and if the 8 inch Jamo can deliver that then you may be satisfied for a longer time than you may think.

Or else.. if any of your friends could lend you a sub for a week or so.. then that would be great !

rgds,
mpw

========================================================

actually im thinking of wharfdale sub 150...i like tight bass... but cant audition...coz i dont have the hifi showrooms here....if somebody has tried...then plss shed some light on this...or if an intelligent guess of How it wud perform will be also useful

=================================================

then you must come to Mumbai one weekday and hear the SW150 in Mumbai. Besides i would suggest you the JBL E150 also. I have heard it and i sort of like it.

Besides the Jamo 200 sub is in Mumbai - maybe you can seek an appointment and hear that too and then decide. If you like Jamo then you will end up spending 7k only.

Would have loved to suggest something like Hsu etc.. but these are quite expensive. The JBL is advertised at close to 20K and can be negotiated i think. Look at ::: JBL :::

regards,
mpw

actually im thinking of wharfdale sub 150...i like tight bass... but cant audition...coz i dont have the hifi showrooms here....if somebody has tried...then plss shed some light on this...or if an intelligent guess of How it wud perform will be also useful

Yes, I am using two, Wharfedale SW150 in Stereo. My recommendation is Wharfedale SW150 as I see it as musical and goes well with BS.

Reason:

1. It matches the BS Crossover of 80Hz.
2. It does not go below 30Hz -not required for Music
3. It has Class AB amp stage-proof for musical performance.
4. Front ported helps to seamlessly blend with BS in stereo.
5. Kevlar diaphragm & good build quality-Value for money.

If you add any sort of room correction to the Sub set up to reduce room mode affects, then you will beat FS costing INR100K.
I did a lot of research and finished my 2.2 set up and the result- enjoying music with added advantage to tune the Bass as I like it- which is not possible in FS.

Sorry, for jumping in here, but I too, am in a similar quandry. I am being forced to think in terms replacing my Wharfedale 9.6, due to lack of space and a literal danger of bumping into the speakers.

On doing the usual rounds I liked the MS - Aviano1 the best( the 2 is not available for audition),the Arcam Messo, was good with the Highs& Mid range but with a serious lack of Bass, which I want.

Would like to have a suggestion on a suitable amp,Book sheves (and a sub woofer) I would like to keep the budget within 50K. Thank you for any suggestions.

Last edited:
@mpw

yes you are right...FS will have a integrated bass compared to a 2.1 channel...if i dont get any choice i will go for FS...i bought the speakers from bass n trble...and the guy there, Mr Denny Jose said that wharfdale sub 150 will match with it...but i didnt hear it...so cant say any...and you have rightly said that hearing by oneself before buying is very essential...i will try for audition at mumbai...thanks for the useful info

@naren

which bs n amp are you using...doest it has any option of phase shift to sync manually(my own idea)...i also dont need thumpy bass....i prefer musical too...30hz is sufficient for musical needs i guess...where did u buy n hw much it costed u

can i change the cross over of my speakers by tweaking...quad 11 classic has physical cross over at 68hz...can i change it later to match the sub...

Last edited:
Cnu,

I am using Wharfedale 75th Anniversary 9.1 BS and CA640V2 amp.The Sub I took from Vector in Bangalore @18500/.You can use the built in crossover of SW150.

I never liked adding a sub to a stereo setup. I bought a subwoofer to pair with my Wharfedale bookshelves but sold it as the sound was not much "cohesive". The sub was not able to keep up with the speed of the bookshelf so the overall sound was not that refined. For a HT, sub is a must but In a stereo setup, the sub can better be avoided.
Alternate suggestion, buy Paradigm Titan Monitors bookshelf speakers. They have plenty of bass and quality midrange and hi end. And the rated wattage of 80W will mate perfectly with your amp. Just my view though.

@Vivek : Which sub have you tried in conjuction with your bookshelves...have you tried tweaking ur sub...i too feel that a sub will not do justise to music...but dont have a choice...i cant afford to sale already bought speakers at lower cost and buy a high end...atleast not now...btw my speaker sound too good(for me)...just lack a little bass...

@Naren : i just wanted to know...can we delay or made the bass come early via tweaking its crossover...coz i will try adjuss manually to perfectly synchronise with sound...

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back