Sharp LCD/LED

yes but is it with Neo Plasma panel ? i hv a little brighter rooms so the plasma panel has to be good....

No. The UT50 is without the neoPDP panel. But it is not the neopdp panel that is resulting in less reflective surfaces on st50 and above. Rather this is due to the infinite black pro filter.

If you cannot control brightness in the room then plasma may not be suitable. Brightness is less of a worry than windows and doors. Even and uniform brightness may cause some washout but that can be compensated by increase in pic brightness. However, doors and windows can cause strong disturbing reflections unless draped heavily.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

in my room window is right opposite to the tv.. but i can control the light using curtains is that ok for ST50?

How much TV is watched during daytime? If the answer is less than 30%, then plasma will work for you.

If more than 30%, then can you produce enough dimness in your room (during day) so that inside out can appear like dusk/sunset? If yes, plasma can work for you.

Note that it is not ST50 or any model. It is basically whether plasma will be suitable our not. In my room also there is one window at right angle and one directly opposite. But I can create sufficient darkness so that it does not bother me. Check my pics in the ST50 thread where Tv is wall mounted. You can notice reflection from side window. Yet it is not distracting when drapes are closed.

Folks, I bought a Sharp 40" LCD - 40M550M. Got it installed yesterday late evening. Will post observations later.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions and thoughts.

Where did you purchase it from? The price is good. Please also post your observations.
Have you compared it with Toshiba or other models of less than 40K 40/42 inchers before buying it ?

Japan's embattled TV maker Sharp Corp (6753.T) will submit an asset appraisal report to its banks next month they will use to identify businesses the century-old company has to sell in return for funding, sources at the lenders said.

Restructuring,amalgamation, merger, sale off etc of companies are part of life in developed countries. Many of the big brands are no longer in the hands of their original owners.

If you don't know yet, the Sony corp, is making loss for the past many years mainly in its TV business. It is very likely that sony may sold off its TV business sooner than later, like IBM sold its PC / laptop segment to Lenovo, a Chinese company. Despite this, sony is the favourite brand of most of us.

Sony to cut 10,000 jobs in quest for profitability The Register

Sony shares at near 32-year lows on strategy doubts | Reuters

If we look closer at home, where are the old time favourites like KELTRON, weston, solidare, Nikitasha, uptron, Nelco etc. now?

Similarly, there is nothing wrong in sharp company is making any adjustments, so long as they did not shut down their shop completely, which is unlikely considering the value of their brand name.

So if the Sharp TVs are otherwise acceptable, do buy it.

Last edited:
Sharp 40" LCD for Rs 41k & 40" LED for Rs 55k, in bangalore (pai & reliance). PQ looks ok to me.

But warranty is only for 1 year (according to pai) and 2 year according to (reliance).

Sharp 40" LCD for Rs 41k & 40" LED for Rs 55k, in bangalore (pai & reliance). PQ looks ok to me.

But warranty is only for 1 year (according to pai) and 2 year according to (reliance).

Almost all manufacturers offer standard one year warranty. Some offer extended warranty at an extra cost. Panasonic offers 2 years of extended warranty on panel only and that too on plasma only - presumably to push plasma sales. I have heard that Panasonic is withdrawing this offer soon. Some dealers and shops also offer extended warranty. Let the warranty NOT be a criterion for your purchase.

Buy a TV that you like because it meets your requirements. When there are multiple choices, then factor in warranty and such features.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back