Shelf for heavy projectors

hamhifi

When I purchased my JVC DLA-X35 I realised that some immediate changes were required in my existing setup. The X35 weighs nearly 15kgs while my existing ceiling mount is rated to hold up to 11 kgs. In addition, I wasnt very keen on having a bulky black box hanging from a white ceiling, in front of a light beige colored wall.

Immediately the idea of a shelf near the top of the wall seemed promising. The only problem was I couldnt find anything readymade that was large and strong enough to hold the X35. After searching the forum I came across KelvinS1965s implementation for the same projector which seemed ideal. The only problem for me is that his solution requires welding equipment. Then I discovered z4zorbas alternative solutions that seemed doable to me.

The construction of the shelf is pretty straightforward and no special DIY skills are required. The concept is based in the use of microwave brackets that are secured high up on the wall and a cheap IKEA table that slides inside the horizontal part of the brackets to conceal them and provide wide support for the projector.

Can you give the details of KelvinS1965 and z4zorba and your room with the planned location of the pj so that it is more clear exactly what you are looking for.

Here's mine. It's on the back wall. Epson TW8100.

EDIT: You seem to be mixing up forums. There is no KelvinS1965 or z4zorba here.

Last edited:
@Naturelover Pretty neat setup.
Love the internal wiring.:thumbsup:

However does your projector get enough ventilation ?

Assume hamhifi's Projector supports vertical lens shift, because the default with most projectors is the image would display to the top of the Proj when placed upright on its stands.

@hamhifi I guess some grooves for air flow at the sides and bottom would definitely help.
You might also want to check where the Proj remote sensor is located and ensure using the remote does not become a pain if the enclosure is fully closed.

Last edited:
@Naturelover - Really nice and clean setup. Impressed.

@hamhifi - I recently purchased a generic projector mount locally (from Sanghvi Impex) and that is supposed to take weight upto 25kgs and it is quite sleek in my view (will see how it looks once it gets installed this weekend). I'm sure you would be able to find similar ones in US as well. But you seem to be keen on moving to a shelf. BTW, looking at Naturelover's picture, I'm also now wondering if I should build a box around my black projector as it is going to stand out against white ceiling. Need to check on the ventilation vents though.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back