Shipping items from the UK

greenhorn

Hey folks.

I have a feeling I'm going to end up with a lot of stuff I can't really fit back onto my baggage home (Like my Technics SL 1210)

What is the best way to send them home (I'm guessing through some sort of courier) other than carrying it myself?

Allrightey then, carrying it with me it is.

I picked it up via classifieds, so I don't have any sort of receipt to declare its value. Is there anything I need to worry about while bringing it home in luggage?

Are you a tourist or do you live in the UK?

Easiest is to pay your airline extra for the additional weight. I have done this many a times. This is the easiest route even as expensive.

There is also a FedEx, DHL kinda services. But it needs paperwork. If you are a tourist, sufficient paperwork may not be feasible.

Regardless of the option you choose, it will be expensive. So as a tourist you'll find it a bit hard. Though if you are living in UK you might have better options.

@ greenhorn - been there and done that :) very expensive if you want to consider shipping lesser amounts...

However, when i moved back last year, I used the following folks to get my stuff back to India when I moved back a year ago... Very reasonable rates...

Air Cargo | Excess Baggage | Air Freight | Container Shipping

Handling outside India is superb... once it comes to Indian customs/cargo - god save the stuff that you have got !!! My suggestions will be...

Clothes, books, dvds all go thru cargo...

Electronic Items, Vinyls, Blu Rays (read - all fragile and close to your heart stuff) come in hand luggage/check in luggage :)

Man, I'm going to get broken hearted very quickly :(.
Will I be able to bring back my SL1210, or am I better off selling it off here ?
In case I carry it back (I'm planning an in between visit ) what is the process to declare ( especially since I dont have a bill etc) Will I be hit with obscene duties ?

Last edited:
Man, I'm going to get broken hearted very quickly :(.
Will I be able to bring back my SL1210, or am I better off selling it off here ?

To give you a perspective, one of my 1200s came from the UK. Shipping came up to about 100 pounds. Shipping I guess was okay within the UK. Once it reached India, don't know what happened :mad:.

So that said, when the 1200 reached me place, I was speechless. The way it looked at first sight, I thought it was all gone. TT reached with the dust cover smashed in a million pieces (TT thrown all around). The tonearm was damaged and I had to replace that. Fabricated a new custom dust cover. I was lucky that it worked after that. I had to spend quite a bit of additional money on fixing those damages.

I would not recommended this!!

Anyways, if you still wanna give it a try, may I suggest you a get a 1210 flight carry case (dust cover removed) which may just help and see if you can hand carry it.

have updated the post. I'll be planning a visit in between, and will be travelling with minimum luggage. thinking I can bring it with me then. Question is, how do I deal with customs

Try these people... Excess Baggage

After my mum died I packed up a few boxes of worthless-to-anyone-else stuff to send home. excess-baggage was cheap enough that I wished I'd kept more!

The worst part was collecting from the air cargo depot here. That took us half a day, with no duty to pay. If you are bringing electronics I'm sure they'll make it more complicated, and expensive, for you.

Sad to hear of Record Player's experience. My stuff was of no intrinsic value, and none of it got broken.

When you book Excess-Baggage they deliver boxes and bubble wrap to you. There was more than I needed, probably there was enough to pack fragile electronics, but you could probably ask for extra.

Just phone them: they'll give you a quote.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back