SHM CDs - What's the big deal about them?

peace_sells

So I was looking to buy some albums on CD, but they seem to be available in only SHM CD format at the moment. SHM CDs seem to be generally quite expensive, and I was wondering why it was so.

Does anyone here own SHM CDs? Are they worth their price? What is the difference between SHM and normal CDs from your experience?

I have a few SHM CDs.
A few thing that I have noted--
1. CD looks and feels great...That is they look like old Japanese of Germany made Cds. Some have a very light golden shin. Most have rounded edge.
2. If they are the BSCD (Blu-spec) on SHM disc they sound excellent. Those are cut using a blue laser and offers higher accuracy in writing the disc.
3. As they are expensive you get a placebo effect:cool:

I have a few SHM SACDs. They all sound better than other presses of the same titles.

I have a few SHM SACDs. They all sound better than other presses of the same titles.
Ah now SACDs in general sound better anyway right? :p

I have a few SHM CDs.
A few thing that I have noted--
1. CD looks and feels great...That is they look like old Japanese of Germany made Cds. Some have a very light golden shin. Most have rounded edge.
2. If they are the BSCD (Blu-spec) on SHM disc they sound excellent. Those are cut using a blue laser and offers higher accuracy in writing the disc.
3. As they are expensive you get a placebo effect:cool:
Yes I understand SHM CDs are much more tangible and better presented than normal CDs. But in terms of SQ, I guess you are saying that normal SHM CDs don't sound significantly better than normal CDs?

Yes I understand SHM CDs are much more tangible and better presented than normal CDs. But in terms of SQ, I guess you are saying that normal SHM CDs don't sound significantly better than normal CDs?

SHM CDs apparently have a high quality manufacturing process and probably make them impervious to CD rot/fungus and last longer. All SACDs(not just SHM) will sound better than CDs as they are mastered better with full dynamic range. In terms of sound quality, SHM CDs nowadays are also victims of the loudness wars so they sound equally bad. My friend got suckered into buying some SHM CDs for extra cost and when we we compared normal CD versions of same album/year and they sound identical...so don't believe the hype. It all comes down to the mastering...normal CD pressings from the 80's and early 90's have good dynamic range and will sound way better than any SHM CD mastered today.

Please note DR values below, both are identical:

DR.png

No they dont

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back