Shoes

These days there are folks at The Leathery Laundry etc who do a good job of restoring shoes ..they will fix your soles , repaint the leather if needed ...I have had good experience with them ..

Great to know of the Leather Laundry!
That looks like a great place to send my favorite briefcase for a makeover.

This thread is throwing up all kinds of awesome info!

Someone said ‘I am too poor to afford cheap shoes’.
Honestly speaking I belong to this so called rich category. Normally I buy shoe/sandals from unnamed to mass branded one in the price range of 1000 to 3000. Myself and family often face this issue of unable to identify a good shoe with some reliability. Since I am not good enough to find good shoes, we just go by basic check and buy. Can some one recommend decent brand of shoes in the price range of 1000 to 3000? I know you guys are talking about some thing costlier brands here, still....!

Honestly speaking I belong to this so called rich category. Normally I buy shoe/sandals from unnamed to mass branded one in the price range of 1000 to 3000. Myself and family often face this issue of unable to identify a good shoe with some reliability. Since I am not good enough to find good shoes, we just go by basic check and buy. Can some one recommend decent brand of shoes in the price range of 1000 to 3000? I know you guys are talking about some thing costlier brands here, still....!
Hi Swamytk, I too prefer budget shoes. In that range I prefer Lee Cooper for their reliability (only my little dog with his sharp teeth took a liking to it and could cut it into pieces :)). For casual wear Skechers also should be great, comfortable, lightweight and reliable!

There are many compulsions for what brand and price range we buy our shoes from.

Of recent my main criteria has been comfort for long term use. My feet are just going to kill me if I try to wear a shoe that doesn't fit properly. I wear leather sandals more during the summers. In the rainy season a pair covered shoes is preferred to keep my feet dry even if I don't really walk that much anymore.

Can some one recommend decent brand of shoes in the price range of 1000 to 3000?

My wife recently found this brand which makes really good shoes and prices are fair.

But Clarks and Hush Puppies very reliable as well.

only my little dog with his sharp teeth took a liking to it and could cut it into pieces :)
Universal problem :)
My wife recently found this brand which makes really good shoes and prices are fair.
But Clarks and Hush Puppies very reliable as well.
prefer Lee Cooper for their reliability (only my little dog with his sharp teeth took a liking to it and could cut it into pieces :)). For casual wear Skechers also should be great, comfortable, lightweight and reliable!
Thanks. Helpful! In next shopping let me look for these brands.

Dr Martens , Parade (available for about 70 Pounds , but cheaper bargains can be had) is from their industrial range. The leather is full grain, the air cushion sole is slip resistant and it is Goodyear welted. The shoe is made on a regular last and fits normal sizes beautifully. From personal example I can tell you that you can wear this shoe for 10 + years and it will still look good. The shoe style is a plain toe blucher and will look as good on your jeans as with your suit.
Leather shoes can basically be an Oxford ( the most formal with the vamp sown on the quarters) , a Derby ( also called a Gibson or a Blucher which allows for a more open lacing - quarters sown on the vamp) and a Monk Strap ( no laces).
If you have a friend coming from the UK you can ask him to get one for you. It will be well worth the markup on your shoe budget.
You can order it online too , but the courier cost and the more than 40% duty that customs will charge will make it a very painful option.
The Parade is Made in China , but the Dr Martens quality holds.

Comfort is the key. There is nothing that fits perfectly everyone. Reviews are one thing what fits u can be a totally other thing.

Unless one goes for a bespoke shoe where they make a last for a particular feet then a prototype of the shoe with cheap leather and after multiple tries and fittings the real shoe. Kind of like this earphone https://snugs.com/.
Comfort is the key. There is nothing that fits perfectly everyone. Reviews are one thing what fits u can be a totally other thing.

I like Keen sandals a lot, but terribly expensive in India. Also Merrel for hiking. I do find Merrel a bit heavy and would gladly switch to lighter shoes if someone can recommend
Hi, I prefer North face for trekking. They’ve got different types based on the terrain. Do give them a try.

I discovered a good brand called Gutteridge. Around 100 euros for a very well made all leather shoe, and hardly needs to be shined. Great thread, this.

Last 15 years always preferred Hush Puppies in Black and Brown as my formal shoes (usually Oxford/Derby type) to work including their Sandals. Salomon then and recently Under Armour for comfort/sport shoes

Not heard most names mentioned so far !

Last edited:
Most shoes I have mentioned are British ones where this art thrives around the Northampton area. Some like Loake and Grensons have shifted some production to India. Other great shoe making nations include Italy ( where they coined the term Sprezzatura, so they should be making great shoes here) , Spain and off course Japan.
Laszlo Vaas of Hungary , Cobblers Union and Allen Edmonds of the USA too make great shoes.
Last 15 years always preferred Hush Puppies in Black and Brown as my formal shoes (usually Oxford/Derby type) to work including their Sandals. Salomon then and recently Under Armour for comfort/sport shoes

Not heard most names mentioned so far !

Last edited:
Just got my stock of leather goodies replenished. The main ingredient is beeswax and they take care of leather like no other items.

Attachments

• C4C13A79-9659-4FF9-A2F4-58C165C081A1.jpeg
    C4C13A79-9659-4FF9-A2F4-58C165C081A1.jpeg
    404 KB · Views: 66
  • 3B9A3EA7-4849-47AE-AF67-C9762B5A25A4.jpeg
    3B9A3EA7-4849-47AE-AF67-C9762B5A25A4.jpeg
    453.4 KB · Views: 66
I've been using this waterproofer from Skechers and found it to be very effective, especially on suede leather and fabric material. This helps with keeping the stain on the outside, which can be later on wiped clean easily. Earlier I had used a similar product from Woodland, but it had a pungent odor, akin to housecleaning solution, so switched to this one as this was odorless and more effective.

Screenshot 2019-08-03 at 9.59.36 AM.png
Screenshot 2019-08-03 at 9.59.18 AM.png

Good thread..
Have used Lots of brands earlier, currently Ruosh is a favorite (nothing fits like it) , Have been using Clark's and Hush puppies for Formals earlier.

Woodlands for casual, Nike /Adidas /Sketcher for Jogs and sports. Love the quintessential Kolhapuri for lazy strolling. I'm hearing lots of international brands for the first time on this thread, so will definitely keep an eye.

There is a polish available on Amazon called Dazlo. I have used it and found it better than the average Kiwi or Cherry Blossom. The same company also makes other leather protection items that are reasonably priced and good.
I've been using this waterproofer from Skechers and found it to be very effective, especially on suede leather and fabric material. This helps with keeping the stain on the outside, which can be later on wiped clean easily. Earlier I had used a similar product from Woodland, but it had a pungent odor, akin to housecleaning solution, so switched to this one as this was odorless and more effective.

View attachment 37899
View attachment 37900

It’s an interesting website. They are quite informative about the leather, the construction they use etc. But I found no mention about their lasts - the three dimensional frame around which a shoe is made and perhaps the most important component of shoemaking that ensures proper fit and comfort. The website is very slick and looks like it’s more of a corporate rather than an artisanal enterprise. Though their shoes must be very good and could be well worth giving a try.
Handcrafted , bench made , custom made , bespoke, MTM, RTW etc are some of the bewildering array of terms used in shoemaking and can be quite confusing.
While browsing for bespoke Indian shoes I found this website.

Has anybody tried this brand out?

I used to love Samsonite (leather formals) till they stopped retailing them in India. In semiformal/casuals the choice is usually between Hush Puppies and Timberland. And I always end up buying Nike sneakers after trying other brands. Fitting and comfort are bigger factors for me than everything else. Buying a shoe is a painful process as it tends to be long drawn and usually takes multiple visits for me as I have to get the fit right. Buying clothes is much more simpler. As for Hawai I miss the Bata white and blue pure rubber slippers - they are always out of stock - may be they stopped making them.

There is a polish available on Amazon called Dazlo. I have used it and found it better than the average Kiwi or Cherry Blossom. The same company also makes other leather protection items that are reasonably priced and good.

Just ordered some. Thanks for the tip.

... As for Hawai I miss the Bata white and blue pure rubber slippers - they are always out of stock - may be they stopped making them.

For slippers I have been using leather sandals or flip flops from Clarks. These have really made a difference. The leather tops are extremely comfortable and a lot more durable than rubber. Not to mention good looking.

It was bit of an adjustment paying the higher prices at first but you can get them on sale. Now that I wear slippers 80% - 90% of the time spending more on a good pair of slippers makes sense.

Highly recommend flip flops from American brand REEF. Superb foam sole with nylon weave straps. Easily the best flip flops I have ever worn in my life.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back