Shoes

Hi Sandeep

Thanks a lot for very detailed and informative reply. I am more interested in winter boots from Timberland due to cold here in North and abroad when I travel or when I ride. My toes get swollen in every winters so need something comfortable and weather proof.

I see that Timberland has Indian site as well so planning to buy from there I think less hassels and economical.

I would measure my feet to check the size, thanks for the heads up.

P.S I have a pair of steel toe shoes from CAT. That's for professional reason only. I bought them sometime in 2017 and for long time they were in storage only. Started using them for my home site now as they are tough and rugged for a construction site, not comfortable at all, heavy as well.Qyality was they are superb, no sign of age even after 5 years.

Regards
Hi Vivek,

If I can recall correctly, Timberland officially exited India in 2014. Until then they had presence in several major cities including Bangalore. In Bangalore, their outlet was at Phoenix market city mall. After their exit, Reliance Footwear used to import their footwear in limited quantities and with limited choices of models, colors, fit and sizes and sell them on Myntra. And since the past two years, their boots have been out of stock there too.

Apart from that I am not aware of any Indian outlet or website that sells Tim footwear. Can you please mention that Indian website you talked about?

By the way, you can also check the prices on Amazon.com. They also show final prices in INR, after estimating shipping and customs. For a few models, I found the final Amazon.com prices very competitive, when considering the US retail price mentioned on the official website.

With regards,
Sandeep Sasi

Hi Vivek,

If I can recall correctly, Timberland officially exited India in 2014. Until then they had presence in several major cities including Bangalore. In Bangalore, their outlet was at Phoenix market city mall. After their exit, Reliance Footwear used to import their footwear in limited quantities and with limited choices of models, colors, fit and sizes and sell them on Myntra. And since the past two years, their boots have been out of stock there too.

Apart from that I am not aware of any Indian outlet or website that sells Tim footwear. Can you please mention that Indian website you talked about?

By the way, you can also check the prices on Amazon.com. They also show final prices in INR, after estimating shipping and customs. For a few models, I found the final Amazon.com prices very competitive, when considering the US retail price mentioned on the official website.

With regards,
Sandeep Sasi
Hi Sandeep

This is what I found

Timberland India
Timberland India - Timberland Shoes India Online Shopping - Timberland Boots ...

If one likes that kind of style - clunky and rustic - the indestructible boot ( Stowe , Grassmere, Bourton , Avingdon etc ) to buy is Trickers, which are usually available at some discount in some online store.
The best UK online to buy from is Herring Shoes. Their customer service is legendary and a gold standard for any online vendor. (Once I ordered a shoe that they had on sale. It seems someone didn’t update the inventory so that particular size and model was not available. They said no problem , it was our fault. Choose any non sale shoe and we will give the same discount plus throw in free shipping , to make amends. It seems my experience wasn’t a one off.) They ship free to India for purchases beyond a certain price point and have the option of paying the duty upfront. Herring also has a ‘Cordwainer’ scheme where for a small yearly fee they ship and accept returns free on all their shoes. Friends have also had good experience with AFinePairOfShoes whereas Pediwear has sadly shut down their operations.
Trickers sizing however is tricky. One needs to size down by almost half or even 1 for some of their lasts. Their website does have a chart that comprehensively explains their sizing.
Trickers is one of the oldest shoemakers based out of Northampton. They have a Royal Warrant for making boots and also do bespoke ( where the process begins with measurements to fashion a bespoke last , which can be used repetitively.)
However as earlier said not everyone may like the Trickers aesthetic but no one contests the quality of the leather they use and the robustness of their construction.

Last edited:
Hi Sandeep

This is what I found

Timberland India
Timberland India - Timberland Shoes India Online Shopping - Timberland Boots ...
Hi Vivek,

I have came across several posts in various online forums that indicate that timberlandindiaonline.in may not be genuine. So, please be careful while ordering from there.

With regards,
Sandeep Sasi

If one likes that kind of style - clunky and rustic - the indestructible boot ( Stowe , Grassmere, Bourton , Avingdon etc ) to buy is Trickers, which are usually available at some discount in some online store.
The best UK online to buy from is Herring Shoes. Their customer service is legendary and a gold standard for any online vendor. (Once I ordered a shoe that they had on sale. It seems someone didn’t update the inventory so that particular size and model was not available. They said no problem , it was our fault. Choose any non sale shoe and we will give the same discount plus throw in free shipping , to make amends. It seems my experience wasn’t a one off.) They ship free to India for purchases beyond a certain price point and have the option of paying the duty upfront. Herring also has a ‘Cordwainer’ scheme where for a small yearly fee they ship and accept returns free on all their shoes. Friends have also had good experience with AFinePairOfShoes whereas Pediwear has sadly shut down their operations.
Trickers sizing however is tricky. One needs to size down by almost half or even 1 for some of their lasts. Their website does have a chart that comprehensively explains their sizing.
Trickers is one of the oldest shoemakers based out of Northampton. They have a Royal Warrant for making boots and also do bespoke ( where the process begins with measurements to fashion a bespoke last , which can be used repetitively.)
However as earlier said not everyone may like the Trickers aesthetic but no one contests the quality of the leather they use and the robustness of their construction.
Hi Moktan,

Just checked the Tricker's collection on Herring Shoes website. I liked the Trickers Grassmere Country boots. Forget the listed price, I wouldn't be able to afford them even at 50% discount right now :(.

With regards,
Sandeep Sasi

I bought a blkbrd boot (https://www.blkbrdshoemaker.com/collections/men/products/fulbert-x-elephant-print-brown) last summer. It looks like it’s inspired by the iconic Edward Green Galway boot. Its a well made boot in European cow crust leather. It’s a subjective thing but I found the proportions tad messy, especially how the quarters integrate with the rather too flattish vamp. But the people at blkbrd are quite responsive and they have greatly increased their leather inventory— Horoween chromexel , even Cordovan, I think —for their MTO line. And their prices are very good.
If I was in the market for serious boots , I would look no further than the Bridlen’s captoe high boot made in their elegant zip last. It isn’t listed in their website but can be ordered directly. The boot is in black Russian Hatchgrain ( wish it was available in other colours too ) and has the rare and cultish cat’s paw heel. The boot looks stunning.

Last edited:
you could perhaps try Blckbrd Shoes , their stout collection is good.

Hi Arjun,

Nice collection! I particularly liked these. Had to Google to understand almost every line of description on the page :p. These boots have a Veldtschoen Construction which I understood to be more water resistant than Goodyear welt. I would have liked them more had they come with commando lug soles. Let me get in touch with them to whether it can be done. They have another model that have commando lugs, but I didn't like the detailing on them.

By the way, how is the quality of their shoes in general? Can they withstand rough usage? Or, are they just designed to look tough like, say, Woodland? I've owned three pairs of Woodland boots and none of them made it past a year!

With regards,
Sandeep Sasi

Hi Arjun,

Nice collection! I particularly liked these. Had to Google to understand almost every line of description on the page :p. These boots have a Veldtschoen Construction which I understood to be more water resistant than Goodyear welt. I would have liked them more had they come with commando lug soles. Let me get in touch with them to whether it can be done. They have another model that have commando lugs, but I didn't like the detailing on them.

By the way, how is the quality of their shoes in general? Can they withstand rough usage? Or, are they just designed to look tough like, say, Woodland? I've owned three pairs of Woodland boots and none of them made it past a year!

With regards,
Sandeep Sasi
Not sure on how rugged they are .I have their Laurent and really like it .its very well built ( it is norwegian welt) but not sure on how rugged it is. It far better than woodland
Woodland only looks tough but is mostly cemented construction,. my wife had gone trekking in uttaranchal and were spcifically told not to get woodland as they dont last and decathlon is preferred .

Get in touch with them and they will customize the sole for you

Hi Arjun,

With regards,
Sandeep Sasi
Going by the boot I bought .. though it’s a semi artisanal veldtshoen stitch ( they said it was done by hand ) I don’t think it will last for long if made to undergo very rough usage .. it’s a light boot with a relatively thin sole.. .. why don’t you stake out the Herring site for some good deal on Trickers .. if one were to calculate on a cost per wear basis .. the Trickers or another similar make ( which on a good rotation with a couple of other boots ) will last say 20 + years will work out much cheaper than those that became unwearable after a year.. plus yours would be the best looking boot in the room ..no wonder someone said .. I am too poor to afford cheap shoes or something like that ..

Not sure on how rugged they are .I have their Laurent and really like it .its very well built ( it is norwegian welt) but not sure on how rugged it is. It far better than woodland
Woodland only looks tough but is mostly cemented construction,. my wife had gone trekking in uttaranchal and were spcifically told not to get woodland as they dont last and decathlon is preferred .

Get in touch with them and they will customize the sole for you
you could also check this one out ..the Iron Boot by Bridlen in their Nara last …this one is in Repello calf suede from the Charles Stead tannery .. …https://bridlen.com/collections/boots1/products/iron-boot-copper-nara?variant=39860572323943
….though not featured on their website ..these are other iterations of the said boot..in fiery red waxy oiled pull-up leather and the red one in waxy leather …C309290D-B99D-4EB1-8124-CE411490891E.jpeg4A1C03EA-20AB-4BB0-B0C5-68EA4E68E127.jpeg

Last edited:
you could also check this one out ..the Iron Boot by Bridlen in their Nara last …this one is in Repello calf suede from the Charles Stead tannery .. …https://bridlen.com/collections/boots1/products/iron-boot-copper-nara?variant=39860572323943
….though not featured on their website ..these are other iterations of the said boot..in fiery red waxy oiled pull-up leather and the red one in waxy leather …View attachment 74515View attachment 74516
The first back drop is amazing.

Going by the boot I bought .. though it’s a semi artisanal veldtshoen stitch ( they said it was done by hand ) I don’t think it will last for long if made to undergo very rough usage .. it’s a light boot with a relatively thin sole.. .. why don’t you stake out the Herring site for some good deal on Trickers .. if one were to calculate on a cost per wear basis .. the Trickers or another similar make ( which on a good rotation with a couple of other boots ) will last say 20 + years will work out much cheaper than those that became unwearable after a year.. plus yours would be the best looking boot in the room ..no wonder someone said .. I am too poor to afford cheap shoes or something like that ..

Among various Tricker's models, I only like these. I prefer these to Grassmere for their plain toes.

They have been on sale (35% off) on Herring Shoes Online for the past two weeks. Today, they just had one pair left and, as luck would have it, they dropped the price to 50% :eek: - an offer too good to refuse! Ordered the pair and, to save on shipping and customs, I am getting them shipped to a friend in the UK! Also, purchased Saphir Rejuvenator and Mink oil Lotion.

I just took your advice to heart :)!

With regards,
Sandeep Sasi

Hi @moktan,

Are Saphir Rejuvenator and Mink oil Lotion more or less the same products? Based on a few reviews I came across online, only Saphir Rejuvenator is needed to maintain boots most of the time. The Mink oil Lotion is only needed if the leather is very smooth.

If this is true, I still have time to cancel one of the two.

With regards,
Sandeep Sasi

Hi @moktan,

Are Saphir Rejuvenator and Mink oil Lotion more or less the same products? Based on a few reviews I came across online, only Saphir Rejuvenator is needed to maintain boots most of the time. The Mink oil Lotion is only needed if the leather is very smooth.

If this is true, I still have time to cancel one of the two.

With regards,
Sandeep Sasi
i don’t think they are the same .. one needs to be careful with saphir rénovateur as in some cases it will cause the paint/polish to come off .. usually they recommend applying a little on the portion on the counter above the heel to check .. also if you notice in the herring website , they advise you against putting this on shoes made by Carlos Santos of Portugal… .. the mink though less advertised is known to be more versatile if used infrequently in small dabs .. you may want check some good advice here too ..

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back