Should I Buy Blu-ray player from UK to use in India?

Yamaha299

Hi All,
I was thinking of buying Blu-ray Player from UK to use in India because some of the latest model with WIFI are not available in India or are expensive compared to UK. The shortlisted Blu ray players are as follows:

1. Sony BDP-S3500 - 79 POUND
2. SONY bdp-S5500 - 95 POUND
3. Samsung BD-F6500
4. Samsung BD-H6500

Please let me know will I face any problem during the usage in India, I want to buy after being sure and not get surprised after I receive the Blu ray player?

Hi All,
I was thinking of buying Blu-ray Player from UK to use in India because some of the latest model with WIFI are not available in India or are expensive compared to UK. The shortlisted Blu ray players are as follows:

1. Sony BDP-S3500 - 79 POUND
2. SONY bdp-S5500 - 95 POUND
3. Samsung BD-F6500
4. Samsung BD-H6500

Please let me know will I face any problem during the usage in India, I want to buy after being sure and not get surprised after I receive the Blu ray player?

If the Blu-ray player(BDP) cannot be made region free for blu-ray playback with a firmware update (most Sony BDP's cannot), you will have to either get the BDP hardware modified for region free or get additional BDP's for each region your discs are coded for or you will have to ensure that you only buy region free blu-ray discs. For more info on region coding see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray#Region_codes

The UK voltage requirement on the BDP may not be a problem but the plugs might require a universal socket/adapter. There's also Customs and possibly Income Tax reporting required that is lurking in the background for imports unless you hand carry it in.

Hi Jsmithe,
The region code for UK is A and for India is C. So definitely I will not be able to play BD's from India on it. So I will be left only with WIFI and the USB. So there is no point in buying from UK. Can you suggest anything similar else or any other solution.

If the price difference is remarkable, I think buying frm UK would make no harm. I use blurays (purchased from UK) and play it in el cheppo pana bdp (purchased from reliance digital) without any issues.

Haven't tried any blurays from USA though.

My idea is to just buy one unit of Blu ray player which has inbuilt WIFI. I do not want keep more than I BD/DVD/CD player. The purpose of buying above listed blu ray player is to get good 5.1 sound from my Yamaha 299 and with the WIFI i will be able to make my Sony TV a Smart TV (with at least web browsing and youtube viewing).

Hi Jsmithe,
The region code for UK is A.

Region code for UK is B.

What do you want to use the player for? Most Indian Blu Ray discs are region free.
If you want to play discs from USA, you will need a region A player.
SE Asia is region A. Many players on eBay.in are from Malaysia which is region A and 220V.

If you purchase Blu-rays from India then there is no problem with UK player. If you buy Blu-ray player from UK then you will be able to play mostly Indian Blu-rays (Region Free/All) and Region B discs. But if you buy Blu-rays from USA then you will need a Region A Player as well (as Naturelover suggested).

In other words, get a region free player or A and B players both.

If you purchase Blu-rays from India then there is no problem with UK player. If you buy Blu-ray player from UK then you will be able to play mostly Indian Blu-rays (Region Free/All) and Region B discs. But if you buy Blu-rays from USA then you will need a Region A Player as well (as Naturelover suggested).

In other words, get a region free player or A and B players both.

What I understand from your comment is, there will be no problem to play blu ray disc's from India (Hindi or English movies) on the Blu ray player bought from UK. Please re-confirm this so that I can go ahead with my purchase of Blu ray player. I will buy blu-ray disc's from India or UK only.

Region code for UK is B.

What do you want to use the player for? Most Indian Blu Ray discs are region free.
If you want to play discs from USA, you will need a region A player.
SE Asia is region A. Many players on eBay.in are from Malaysia which is region A and 220V.

I want to use the player for watching movies from blu-ray discs primarily and also watch you tube videos with its WIFI capability.
I do not want to play discs from USA.

What I understand from your comment is, there will be no problem to play blu ray disc's from India (Hindi or English movies) on the Blu ray player bought from UK. Please re-confirm this so that I can go ahead with my purchase of Blu ray player. I will buy blu-ray disc's from India or UK only.

Indian Purchase:
Indian Blu-rays (Hindi and English both) are 99% region free. For English movies, In rare cases they import region locked disc and re-packaged in India and distributed for sale (e.g. Machete). But mostly they import region free discs/re-pack or manufacture here as region free.

UK Purchase:
Always make sure you buy Region Free (ABC)/Region B Discs from UK because in UK, Region A discs are also available.

Wait a bit more and I am sure there will be some used region free blu ray players for sale in our forum itself which matches your requirements. There is also another option, which is buy a player which can be made region free easily or comes region free. The wait is worth it.

Believe me, a non region free blu ray player can be a pain, when the movie you want to watch does not play in your player.

I agree that it will really pain when a Blu ray disc wont play even if I get the player cheap. That's why I posted on this forum so that I can make an informed decision before 31st December. If any one has any good info please let me know.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back