Should I go with SONY HTIB DAV-DZ370

fibreclaw

Hi,
My first thread.. and HI to all :) I hv strted my search for a good HT jus yesterday .. so am rookie in this. and I need your assistance .

I am from bangalore and planning to get a new Home theatre system setup . I had a look at all previous threads.. but i felt tht it was not exactly i am looking for. I have given my requirements and it will be great if you friends can help me out in deciding a good performing HT .

Specs :

Room size : 15 * 15
Price : 20 to 25 K (no stretching as I am already stretched out :( )
usage : 70 % movies (divx , dvd) , 30 music ..and cable TV ( and I dont care much bout this)
Current options : SONY DAV-DZ370 ( +ve 1000 watt , powerful SUB)
Source : Need to get a DVD player
Speakers : 5.1
HDMI required
May be extendable to 7.1 ( last choice)

I have to decide on other systems for Audition . and I don't have any idea on whether shud i take this or consider Onkyo or yamaha versions or even try to get a Separate ( I believe its outta my reach ).

I also even thought about having CAR Audio setup as Home Theatre(HT). ?? stupid though :)

Please give your inputs on this. I am planing to audition this weekend ..
Thanks for your time .

Cheers

fibreclaw

Hi Welcome to the forum.

There is nothing like a stupid question, just an innocent one. If you search around in the forum you will notice that Onkyo is pretty popular HTiB followed by Philips. Read up on them and see what comes through.

I would not jump on Sony without auditioning the above brands.

Hi,
My first thread.. and HI to all :) I hv strted my search for a good HT jus yesterday .. so am rookie in this. and I need your assistance .

I am from bangalore and planning to get a new Home theatre system setup . I had a look at all previous threads.. but i felt tht it was not exactly i am looking for. I have given my requirements and it will be great if you friends can help me out in deciding a good performing HT .

Specs :

Room size : 15 * 15
Price : 20 to 25 K (no stretching as I am already stretched out :( )
usage : 70 % movies (divx , dvd) , 30 music ..and cable TV ( and I dont care much bout this)
Current options : SONY DAV-DZ370 ( +ve 1000 watt , powerful SUB)
Source : Need to get a DVD player
Speakers : 5.1
HDMI required
May be extendable to 7.1 ( last choice)

I have to decide on other systems for Audition . and I don't have any idea on whether shud i take this or consider Onkyo or yamaha versions or even try to get a Separate ( I believe its outta my reach ).

I also even thought about having CAR Audio setup as Home Theatre(HT). ?? stupid though :)

Please give your inputs on this. I am planing to audition this weekend ..
Thanks for your time .

Cheers

fibreclaw

Sony 370 is good option for name,connectivity(dig input),but when comes to SQ,its not .It is Bassy & distorts at higher volume .You can hear some noice too.

Onkyo is mighty & gr8 value for money.Other is philips as suggested.

I would stay away from Sony there are not what they were some years back. In fact me and 2 more friends bought HTiB 3 yrs back, I went with Philips 4750 other went with Samsung and one went with Sony.

They have all just upgraded to 4750 2 months back. That shows the quality of the system. If you want the best all round bang for the buck, go with Philips. Performance is very good for a HTiB.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I got my first HT system.. and its an ONKYO HT-S5105

Got demo in reliance digital, bangalore.. they offered two versions

3100 and 5105..

3100 -- > dint have HDMI version, passive Subs.

5105 --> has HDMI option. plus FREE SONY PS2

Total price for 5105 was 30k ( including free PS2),
but i dint want the PS2.. so got the pack for 27k.
then a Philips DVPlayer for 4k. :)

Hoping the setup guy will come soon and fix it..

Wow man.. the demo was so awesome.. I now understood why u all guys dont vote for SONY.. though SONY promised more power in their specs.. my kid blew it off..phewww.. :)

Thanks guys.. for your inputs. otherwise.. i wudve ended like one more SONY box. :)

even the 3100 was so awesome and it was way ahead than sony..( thats wat i felt )...... so onkyo.. any nunber model.. is awesome..:)

Thanks again guys..

Last edited:
Congrats and good choice. The PS2 is a great deal, we only have a DVDP on offer here, if any that is. 27K is great VFM.

Congrats mate!!!! Sony, Philips, Onkyo, Denon blah blah dont matter, all it matters you liked the sound :)

Do give us a full blown review so others will benefit from your experience.

Now, when you are installing things, just read this link (below) to understand speaker placement. Some of Onkyo's installation guys I have meet have crude understanding of speaker placement and tuning and they act god. What they don't understand is, its NOT what is the best way of doing but it also about whats the best position a customer likes his sound.

Experiment placement and check which gives you a full filling sound stage. Here is a nice guide from THX. Also, search the forum for speaker wires and grades.

THX Home Theater Setup Guide

Hope it helps!

Congrates,
So you entered Onkyo grp like me ,moserw any many others.
So try best option with your system & simply enjoy.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back