Should i upgrade my HT ???

sushanthace

Currently i have an onkyo HT3100 and i have added wharfedale 8.3 FS for the front speakers... The AVR is pretty basic but it is ok for the movies but not too musical( i dont expect amazing musical performance.. a lil better would be great) thats why i got the FS and use them in stereo mode...i would not say i am entirely unhappy about the setup... i got it because i liked it.... but after a few auditions of various systems and a better audiophile skills now i feel something is missing in my setup.... i usually listen to all kinds of music and watch at least a movie a day after work..... any genre of movies.....but as mentioned earlier.... some movies sound and feel great whereas others lack that punch.. earlier my dedicated HT room was bigger now after i moved home i could not allocate a bigger room(10*12)... i have carpeted the floor and also added some heavy curtains and also tried various speaker placements... i m a little satisfied with the sound... but i still wonder if i should upgrade and get something better(HD) . will it make a world of difference or should i wait and upgrade later??

Any suggestions/ advices .. any inputs to put my doubts to rest would be appreciated.

Cheers
Sushanth

Currently i have an onkyo HT3100 and i have added wharfedale 8.3 FS for the front speakers... The AVR is pretty basic but it is ok for the movies but not too musical( i dont expect amazing musical performance.. a lil better would be great) thats why i got the FS and use them in stereo mode...i would not say i am entirely unhappy about the setup... i got it because i liked it.... but after a few auditions of various systems and a better audiophile skills now i feel something is missing in my setup.... i usually listen to all kinds of music and watch at least a movie a day after work..... any genre of movies.....but as mentioned earlier.... some movies sound and feel great whereas others lack that punch.. earlier my dedicated HT room was bigger now after i moved home i could not allocate a bigger room(10*12)... i have carpeted the floor and also added some heavy curtains and also tried various speaker placements... i m a little satisfied with the sound... but i still wonder if i should upgrade and get something better(HD) . will it make a world of difference or should i wait and upgrade later??

Any suggestions/ advices .. any inputs to put my doubts to rest would be appreciated.

Cheers
Sushanth

I m using Onkyo Htib too & same happens with music.
Some CDs do sound better ,but not each.
So you have choice to have either good CDp or add new stereo system(amp).

But will just adding a Cd player to the setup and connecting it to the AVR make any improvement..i am not expecting exceptional improvement but a little better would make a difference....

But will just adding a Cd player to the setup and connecting it to the AVR make any improvement..i am not expecting exceptional improvement but a little better would make a difference....

Improvement can be upto 20% as dedicated CDp can give better freq response,better DA convertion & over all soundQ.connect in direct mode.

Best opt is stereo amp.But for that too you need CDP.
So 1st step to try CDp,if you are not happy -add st.amp.

@sushanthace - The problem is with the AVR, it's not musical and does a fair job for movies. Really no amount you spend on other h/w will give you great SQ at least for music. You're better off using the money on a separate stereo amp and CDP etc. for success with music. Just don't expect anything to work magic for music with the entry level AVRs for Onkyo, Yamaha, etc.

Thanks for the above replies.. In case i go ahead and get a new AVR which one should i opt for... would it make sense for me to get a CD player and also a Better AVR?? which has better musical abilties...

I just got a call from a dealer regarding Pioneer AVR . I have no idea about Pioneer AVRs .. Wonder if anyone in this forum uses this brand and also let me know if the model vsx-lx50 is a good choice for a HD AVR... I would be auditioning it this weekend. If i can gather a little info on this. It would be great...

Thanks for the above replies.. In case i go ahead and get a new AVR which one should i opt for... would it make sense for me to get a CD player and also a Better AVR?? which has better musical abilties...

All comes down to your budget. My thinking is wait for the AVR. HD Audio and Video are the next thing in home entertainment at least but most of the Blu-Ray movies I've seen are with only Dolby Digital or DTS at the most. Very few are with Dolby TrueHD and/or DTS-HD Master Audio, but these are the future so it makes sense to go for an AVR with them, but that's something you can wait for a while as these formats become more popular.

Go with a stereo amp and CDP for now since that's your primary requirement.

I just got a call from a dealer regarding Pioneer AVR . I have no idea about Pioneer AVRs .. Wonder if anyone in this forum uses this brand and also let me know if the model vsx-lx50 is a good choice for a HD AVR... I would be auditioning it this weekend. If i can gather a little info on this. It would be great...

Pio are better for both,mov & music.
They are little forward sounding.

If you want an AVR with musical abilities try auditioning Denon high end receivers.

Also do demo Yamaha 663. 663 in pure direct mode plays stereo music very well.

What is your budget?

I would suggest you to go for a separate setup for Music if you are very much interested in it.

Thanks,
Prakash.

For any kind of upgrades i have a budget of 40k... May be extended by about 10k if i sell off my current setup.. but that would mean starting from the scratch with only the FS speakers....

I can get an audition for Denon from Pro-fx and for Onkyo at 5.1 digital park.. And since i got my FS from Grand cinema i am quite familiar with them too...i tried locating decibel in alwarpet but ended up lost in the bylanes.... anyone from chennai knows where i can audition any other brands ... all suggestions welcome... i would like to get confused to the level of insanity:)

Hey Sushant,
For Marantz and Cambridge Audio you can try Cressida AV Zone in thiruvanmiyur.

Cressida AV Zone
85/16, East Mada Street
Tiruvanmiyur
Chennai
+91 98409 39774
Take the ECR road next to Thiruvanmiyur Bus terminus(Towards palavakam).Immediately a Temple will come next to the terminus in the main road itself.Then a signal will come, turn left it'll lead to thiruvanmiyur market (Valmiki nagar). Just ask anyone East mada st they'll point you.
I think our member jeevabobby is a dealer for Yamaha and he has his demo room in ambattur. Just pm him.
Hope it's useful.:)
Good luck
Samuel

Hi Samuel,

Thanks for your info... I will check cressida in a week... I am not sure i will be able to get till ambattur though.. the place is quite far off... Also most dealers i talked to quoted 40 K for Onkyo 606.. They might come down a little on the price and the quote for 506 given was 26000... Can i get some better AVRs at this price... I did go thru a few options.. but i would safely say i am a novice at this...'

Hi Sushant,
The onkyo 606 is a fully loaded receiver and comes with all the latest HD decoding formats as well as video upscaling features.
The 506 is also a very good receiver but doesn't have the HD Decoding capabilities nor video upscaling.
Since you are emphasising on Musicality I suggest you can try the Cambridge Audio 340R and the 540R Av receivers.Both don't have HD decoders but they are adept with both Music and Movies.
Marantz is another Musical receiver you can consider.Try to have a demo using your main speakers and see whether it improves the sound quality.
Meanwhile have you played around the settings in your 3100 receiver like Speaker Distance settings, FS large/small, subwoofer crossover bass treble etc.
May be we can extract some more performance.
Cheers,
Sam

Hi Sushant,
The onkyo 606 is a fully loaded receiver and comes with all the latest HD decoding formats as well as video upscaling features.
The 506 is also a very good receiver but doesn't have the HD Decoding capabilities nor video upscaling.
Since you are emphasising on Musicality I suggest you can try the Cambridge Audio 340R and the 540R Av receivers.Both don't have HD decoders but they are adept with both Music and Movies.
Marantz is another Musical receiver you can consider.Try to have a demo using your main speakers and see whether it improves the sound quality.
Meanwhile have you played around the settings in your 3100 receiver like Speaker Distance settings, FS large/small, subwoofer crossover bass treble etc.
May be we can extract some more performance.
Cheers,
Sam

Onkyos newer models comes with HD decoders even 507.

Hi Sushant,

You want to hear better music and going again the onkyo way? Thats amazing! Please take moser's advice for now. Onkyo 3100 with wharf floor standers must be pretty decent for movies. Go the CDP and stereo amp way if u want to upgrade for better music.
cheers,
sri

i tried locating decibel in alwarpet but ended up lost in the bylanes.... anyone from chennai knows where i can audition any other brands ... all suggestions welcome... i would like to get confused to the level of insanity:)

To go to Decibel, follow one of the following paths.

With The Park Sheraton hotel on your left take TTK Road towards Music Academy. You will pass Benjarong on your left. Immediately after that look for a left turn with the Moore Supermarket on the corner. Take the left. You are now on Chittaranjan Road. Decibel is on the right on that Road. They have a big board and you should see it easily.

If you are coming from the North, take Anna Salai towards the Airport. Cross the Eldams Road cutting and keep going towards Teynampet. Take the left turning that goes to SIET College. At the end of this road, turn right into TTK Road. Look for Moore supermarket on your right and turn right on the road immediately afterr the supermarket. You are now on Chittaranjan Road again.

Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks for all the above replies... Yes Samuel i did play around with the setings and it made a lil difference.... but again it all depends on DVDs... Some sound good naturally .. some need some tweaking..... @ Sri.... Well i somehow like Onkyo ;) no matter what.. and even if the newer models sound little more musical i would go for it... Anyways as many of you have suggested ... I think i will just retain the HT for now and go the CDP/ AMP way.... and later upgrade the AVR with better speakers.....

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back