Should i upgrade my HT ???

@srikarkav.. in one of your earlier posts you mentioned that changing the speaker cables made a lil differrence.. can you please provide me more info on this??

Thanks for all the above replies... Yes Samuel i did play around with the setings and it made a lil difference.... but again it all depends on DVDs... Some sound good naturally .. some need some tweaking..... @ Sri.... Well i somehow like Onkyo ;) no matter what.. and even if the newer models sound little more musical i would go for it... Anyways as many of you have suggested ... I think i will just retain the HT for now and go the CDP/ AMP way.... and later upgrade the AVR with better speakers.....

In agreement with you about Onkyo. My only other favorite is Yamaha, but they're really priced way too high these days.

If I may make a suggestion regarding the CDP/AMP way. Do explore the route/option of moving your music collection to a PC. It will cost on par or even less than a CDP and all the more better if you already have a PC. Just invest in a good soundcard and additional HDDs and you're all set. Lots of threads on this subject (yeah I'm the guilty one) that you can check on this very forum.

Thanks Moser.. I already have a laptop with me with a good sound card... but somehow the charm of playing cds from CDP is more alluring than using a PC....:D

Hi sushanth,

I for one never thought i will end up with an Onkyo product. Bute here i am with an Onkyo 3100:).

I have not upgraded my speaker wires yet. When i visited Decibel last time they said 14 gauge Bandridge was not in stock.So i have to go there again sometime.

As for as CA products are concerned Av Cressida deals with them. I got a quote of Rs 13500/- for CA dv99 DVDP from them yesterday.

A17, 1, Parsn Complex,
Kodambakkam High Road,
Nungambakkam, Chennai 600 034.
Tel : 28257579 / 28227579 / 28216089 One more thing. Did upgrading the fronts to wharfs enhanced ur movie experience?

cheers,
sri

Well i got a different address for Cressida .. nvrtheless i will check out the place.. Well yes the movie exp has been much better and also music has been good when played DVD direct or DVD stereo.... But after getting the FS the sub kinda feels lost...

Thanks Moser.. I already have a laptop with me with a good sound card... but somehow the charm of playing cds from CDP is more alluring than using a PC....:D

This is psychological and you must experiement to overcome it. Recently as part of a detailed auditioning the Oppo 983, I played the same song from a CD, and as a WAV file through the USB port of the 983. The WAV version opened up and delivered much better music across all frequencies. I will be doing more test with different genres, but PC based lossless are the way of the future.

Software such as EAC really are able to extract every last bit of information for a Redbook CD. That is the advantage they have over regular CDPs. though the case may be different if you go into high end CDPs, but I had given a link to an article by Robert Harley where he found the same results even with high end CDPs.

Cheers

This is psychological and you must experiement to overcome it. Recently as part of a detailed auditioning the Oppo 983, I played the same song from a CD, and as a WAV file through the USB port of the 983. The WAV version opened up and delivered much better music across all frequencies. I will be doing more test with different genres, but PC based lossless are the way of the future.

Software such as EAC really are able to extract every last bit of information for a Redbook CD. That is the advantage they have over regular CDPs. though the case may be different if you go into high end CDPs, but I had given a link to an article by Robert Harley where he found the same results even with high end CDPs.

Cheers

I think as USB is direct path(lens reading errors skipped)you got good freq response.

Venkat ,one Q can oppo be used as WD via USB( VOB)?
I meen the speed.

and regarding the question about integrating the CDP/AMP with the AVR and using the same set of Speakers for music... is that a feasible option and it sounded a little complicated to me.... How would it affect movie performance since the AVR already processes the sound and by amplifying the sound again by power amp would it be any different ???

I spoke to the onkyo dealer i got the HT from.. he offered me a buy back of 10k for my system and he also offered me a price of 38k for onkyo 606....any of you guys think it is a gud deal...i am sure around that price range i can also get many other recievers with the same capabilties of a 606..wat say ??

Just went thru all the extensive details about DVDps from various brands... I just wanted to know which one is better in terms of SQ/PQ/ Formats and HD... Currently i use a Sony NS708( i think this is the model no:)... It does an OK job with movies (colour is great.. SQ can be better )... Will buying a better player bring a significant change... Sorry for putting forward this query again ( I wish there was AV forum for dummies like me too)... i am looking at CA DV99(srikarkav's suggestion) CA 540 , or anything from Marantz ... Also please let me know their prices and if their performance justifies their price .. Sorry for asking so many questions :rolleyes:

Existing Setup
  • Panasonic 42 PV8D
  • Onkyo HT3100
  • Speakers Front Wharefedale 8.3 FS
  • Rear- HT3100
  • Centre HT3100
  • Sub- HT3100(passive)
  • DVDP- Sony N708H
  • Cables HDMI-interconnects / speaker cables

Proposed Setup with Max budget
  • Panasonic 42 PV8D
  • CA340-540r/Onkyo 506-606/Marantz/Yamaha/Denon-(30000)
  • Speakers Front Wharefedale 8.3 FS
  • Wharfedale rear 9 series / CA s30 -(7500)
  • Wharfedale centre 9 series/ any other (10000)
  • Wharfedale active sub SW150/ any other (16000)
  • CA dv99/CA540D/Oppo 983/Any other- (15000)
  • branded (QED)/ any other-(5000)

Just my thoughts.. All suggestions / inputs / corrections are welcome :)

i may not buy all this at one go... may be within 3 months .. so new products / forthcoming products also can be considered.. Also i would like to buy all products from chennai dealers ...

I came across this price somewhere in this forum... pardon my ignorance if it costs a little more... i was thinking of sourcing wharfedale from grand cinema ( kodambakkam).... what would the price be?

Just called Grand Cinema and spoke to them.... The SW150 is 21000 now :sad:

all the prices seem to have gone up drastically :sad:

@madhuballram- I am sorry ..i have no clue about WD TV.. can you please enlighten me on this ??

Just called Grand Cinema and spoke to them.... The SW150 is 21000 now :sad:

all the prices seem to have gone up drastically :sad:

@madhuballram- I am sorry ..i have no clue about WD TV.. can you please enlighten me on this ??

WD TV is media player which plays HD content, DVD content, music etc from a hard drive. I find its PQ and SQ much better than DVDp. It costs around 8k and the upscaling (for DVD content) is great,

Since you have a huge DVD collection might also be good to backup. Search for WD TV in our forum you will get loads of info.

Official Site:
WD TV HD Media Player ( WDAVN00 )

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back