Should I use Vintage Rotel or Any Entry Level AV receiver

ps_sonic

Guys I have a 1996 model Rotel preamp RSP 980 & Rotel power amp RB985 MKII(Amazing Specs) To get a power amplifier at that specifications I have to spend a lot of money(which i can't). I own a pair of Polk TSI 300 Floor standing speaker, 2 bose cubes. Planning to buy centre channel so that I can enjoy 5 channel.The preamp doesn't have HDMI or any of the latest codecs & other features.My question Is it worth setting up this old monster amplifier with my speakers or should I just sell it of an get a new AV receiver... I am ready to sacrifice on features for sound quality. My doubt is will this 17 year old rotel sound better than any today entry level AV receiver (within 25K) I am kind of lazy so before I take the pains of setting up will like to know please HELP!

Guys I have a 1996 model Rotel preamp RSP 980 & Rotel power amp RB985 MKII(Amazing Specs) To get a power amplifier at that specifications I have to spend a lot of money(which i can't). I own a pair of Polk TSI 300 Floor standing speaker, 2 bose cubes. Planning to buy centre channel so that I can enjoy 5 channel.The preamp doesn't have HDMI or any of the latest codecs & other features.My question Is it worth setting up this old monster amplifier with my speakers or should I just sell it of an get a new AV receiver... I am ready to sacrifice on features for sound quality. My doubt is will this 17 year old rotel sound better than any today entry level AV receiver (within 25K) I am kind of lazy so before I take the pains of setting up will like to know please HELP!

No doubt, the 1996 Rotel will easily murder any "NEW SHINY FEATURE RIDDEN IPOD DRIVEN USB HOLED ENTRY LEVEL AVR EASILY".

Mind you, I am saying this even without taking the trouble to find out what the specs are!!! I am sure I would right.

You are lucky to have a good pre and power combo. My recommendation is get rid of the bose cubes, retain the Polk and try to match Polk speakers for the remaining set up or go for an entire new setup of matched speakers.

Thank You Vinod Feeling very excited:D will setup my system as per ur advice....
Here are the specs of the power amp

Continuous Power Output 100 watts/ch
(20-20 kHz, < 0.03%, 8 ohms)
Total Harmonic Distortion (20Hz-20kHz, 8 ohms) < 0.03%
Intermodulation Distortion (60 Hz : 7 kHz, 4:1) < 0.03%
Frequency Response ( 0.5) 10Hz-80kHz
Damping Factor (20-20,000 Hz, 8 ohms) 180
Speaker Impedance 4 ohms minimum
Signal to Noise Ratio (IHF A network) 115 dB
Input Impedance/Sensitivity 27 k Ohms/1.0 volt
Power Requirements 115 Volts, 60 Hz or
230 Volts, 50 Hz
Power Consumption 800 Watts
Dimensions (W x H x D) 440 x 139 x 396 mm
173/8 x 51/2 x 155/8
Weight (net) 15.5 kg, 34.1 lb.

My yamaha RX-V365 has the option of multi channel output for using any external decoder. Can I use this receiver as a preamplifier for the rotel rb 985MKII power amplifier. The thing is instead of connecting a decoder I am connecting a power amplifier will it work??? Sorry of its a silly question somebody clear me on this??

Unless I am very mistaken, the RSP 980, being an old design, can decode Dolby Prologic and not Dolby Digital/DTS.

The RXV 365 being a more modern design, would be good for DD/DTS, but unfortunately does not seem to have 5 channel pre-outs for you to connect the RB 985.

The RB 985 used to be a good power amp when it came into the market, so it would make sense for you to retain it and add a modern surround processor or a low priced AVR. Just ensure it has the pre-outs.

Enjoy!

I don't see multi channel out on the V365 rear pic on the Yamaha site. It has multi channel input, though.

http://img.canuckaudiomart.com/uploads/large/217830-rotel_rsp980_av_preampprocessor.jpg

Is this the image of your Rotel pre processor rear? And is the no 17 analogue inputs?

I am hoping it has 5.1 analogue inputs.

If it is you can also start looking at a blu ray player which can decode HD audio on its own. The advantage is that you can get HD audio decoded on the player and let the pre and power processor do the rest of it.

The Yamaha I am not sure of. You can always test the Yamaha in the same system. Then retain which ever sounds better to you and remove the rest from the chain.

But if it were my system, I would be ridding of the Yamaha and Bose speakers, looking for a Panasonic 500 series player or Oppo/Pioneer any good blu ray player with built in HD decoders and analogue outs using the analogue out from the player to the pre processor and the HDMI straight from the player to your plasma/lcd/led for the video part.

With the hope that this meets other FMs approval :).

Last edited:
You need a AVR / Processor which has Preouts preferably 5 channel preouts . Since your Rotel is 5 channel amp

Most AVR's which have 5/7 channel preouts are not cheap as they are targeted at the mid - high segment market

A VFM alternative would be Emotiva UMC-200 ... however you would need to have someone hand carry it for you from us or ask Emtiva to ship it across to you

Sorryto confuse guys as u said My yamaha RX-V365 doesn'nt have preamp:sad:... Can anybody suggest me a budget preamplifier(under 25K) With 2 HDMI & and some latest codecs..

Emotiva UMC-200 seem to be a good option has HDMI & Dolby TrueHD.. I have a doubt will there be any mismatch with old 1996 Rotel 5 channel amplifier. I heard from some forums that some power problems might arise like tripping off...

Sorryto confuse guys as u said My yamaha RX-V365 doesn'nt have preamp:sad:... Can anybody suggest me a budget preamplifier(under 25K) With 2 HDMI & and some latest codecs..

Unfortunately none exist at this price range at least New. a Good bet would be to be on the lookout for a used one . Keep an eye out on the "For Sale" Section.

If you increase your budget little more then I would highly recommend Sherwood R-972. It's only sold by accessories4less.com (its a very legit site) at $499.99 price. It's a quite high end receiver with Trinnov room correction but was marred by lots of bugs. It took Sherwood quite a bit of time to fix it but the damage was already done. So they are liquidating all those at accessories4less at $500.

Anyway, this presents us the opportunity to buy the unit at such a low price with full 3 year warranty. I have been using it for close to 2 years with no problem. The Trinnov room correction is a wonderful piece of software. And this receiver has full 7.1 pre-outs. See if you can get it imported from US.

A pair of dynaudio or harbeth bookshelf speakers instead of the of the Polk or Bose should give you a great advantage over any "ENTRY LEVEL AVR EASILY".

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back