Should Klipsch Heresy IIIs retire??

If possible try measuring both speakers at the same mic and speakers position. I am sure the Ahuja would have an upward tilting peak around 3kHz and rolloff after that with 15khz being almost -15dB down. Imo, you need to compare with reference music which you are familiar with and know the nuisance of the music critically. A casual approach might yield poor dividends.

If possible try measuring both speakers at the same mic and speakers position. I am sure the Ahuja would have an upward tilting peak around 3kHz and rolloff after that with 15khz being almost -15dB down. Imo, you need to compare with reference music which you are familiar with and know the nuisance of the music critically. A casual approach might yield poor dividends.
Do measurements matter a single iota at this stage where the owner (and maker ) of the Ahujas is damn pleased with it , even preferring it to his own Heresys?

Are you planning to retain the Ahujas on a cardboard or move to a wooden baffle ?

The mic position was the same with respect to the speakers to compensate to some extent the loss of SPL. Ahujas are placed about 45cm more into the room than Heresys (to keep the distance from the walls) so moved the phone back the same distance (difference in placement between the speakers) when recording Ahujas. Room interferences would be different of course.

Klipsch were placed based on a speaker placement video that was posted sometime back by one of our FMs. That yielded the best imaging IMO. Similarly after some trials Ahuja's were placed where they are in the video. With the light weight and floor tiles references it is easy to move in Ahujas when in use. Hence, I thought a trial at the intended positions of the speakers would be realistic. Since I was sitting at the same place while phone was moved forward for Heresy as I wrote above, perhaps I found the Heresys weaker sounding.

I listen to this track often so familiarity is not an issue. With CDs in my collection YT would pounce upon with copyright issues and block the video. They did for an earlier video.

I'd move to a wooden baffle. Thinking of a future purchase of Lii Audio F15 and make a common one for both.
I think a wooden baffle will really give you the actual presentation from the OB. May be you can look at making a 3 way in the future. A woofer and a super tweeters to compliment the Ahuja may bring out the best in them IMO.

Also a personal request, if it’s not too much to oblige. Can you please record the same track with the Heresy without the sub? You could just WhatsApp it to me. I want to hear how they sound on this in comparison to when aided by the sub.
I'd try to do it.

I have some older videos for the time being - in a different room half the area that is nearly filled with same furniture. Not a true representation of the present condition. Heresys were driven by Elekit valve amp in those videos. I can see some copyright claims on them now. Hope you'd be able to hear them. Done with now defunct MS Lumia 950 phone. The best sound recording for a phone I have had till now. (on Pixel 6 now - poor compared to Lumia)

Subbu, you may want to check out this video on speaker sensitivity:

Have seen that but did not believe earlier . Lot of Klipsch bashers are on the prowl. I suspect the dip in impedance and ACA could not drive them. With the tube amp it is fine and punchier.

Somehow, my notings got posted under a sale thread. I am reposting it here now.

Since I don't have any proper setup now, I heard on my headphones directly connected to the phone.
Even in this, to my ears the Herseys easily triumph on clarity, instrument seperation, bandwidth and PRAT.
The bass is more distinct (the overhanging bass note through the entire track is more precise), the drum roll is more viscereal and has clearer timing between each beat, the mids have more body which makes it sound a little more warmer or less open.
On closer hearing, the center image is more accurate than the Ahuja.
The vocals especially has lesser halo so sounds more accurate.
It is probable that with the OBs, the mic has picked up more reflections. Try to draw the Ahujas further into the room and check.

Do measurements matter a single iota at this stage where the owner (and maker ) of the Ahujas is damn pleased with it , even preferring it to his own Heresys?
Nooo... I had to stir the hornets :p... Also had to convince myself not to sell off Heresys and regret later.

As for whether to keep the Heresies or retire them, I’d suggest don’t decide too soon. I read somewhere you bought them un-auditioned. This is a lovely sound that can grow on you. If your listening space allows it, I’d suggest keep both - and listen to the appropriate genres through each. But it’s not elegant/convenient, even if possible to do. I just want you not to regret selling the Heresies later.

@sachinchavan 15865 My thoughts are the same. I have two amps that match each speakers, I only need a proper changeover switch for the preamp - now with a DIY Y connector. space is not an issue at least for now.

WAF is excellent for Heresy. Sounds excellent with the tube amp. Don't want to regret parting with them.

Hearing from you all would aid too..

Last edited:
Have been toying the idea of retiring my Heresy IIIs after i made an experimental OB with the humble Ahuja 12FRX on cardboard baffles.

Now I could make a video to compare the two speakers. Both driven by same source, same pair of ACA amps, same subwoofer helping them.

First 2 minutes or so Heresys and next half Ahuja.

Not sure if video is blocked by YouTube though the source is from YT Music

Great effort, sir.
The Ahujas are indeed livelier, but I find the Heresy more pleasing to my ear.
One doubt, will the Ahuja sound a bit different once you complete it?
Regards and best

Somehow, my notings got posted under a sale thread. I am reposting it here now.

Since I don't have any proper setup now, I heard on my headphones directly connected to the phone.
Even in this, to my ears the Herseys easily triumph on clarity, instrument seperation, bandwidth and PRAT.
The bass is more distinct (the overhanging bass note through the entire track is more precise), the drum roll is more viscereal and has clearer timing between each beat, the mids have more body which makes it sound a little more warmer or less open.
On closer hearing, the center image is more accurate than the Ahuja.
The vocals especially has lesser halo so sounds more accurate.
It is probable that with the OBs, the mic has picked up more reflections. Try to draw the Ahujas further into the room and check.
more and more opinions . Never thought so many would chip in, in such a short time :) :) :) .

Heresy for its genre and Ahuja for its.

Further tests on with tube amp and other genres.

The Heresy's sound very good in the 2nd set of videos you have posted. There is a midrange /lower mids issue with the OB you have posted earlier and that could be due to the cardboard.

I would compare them only after hearing it with the wood baffle before deciding. For all you know the vibration of the cardboard could be adding/subtracting something as well

FWIW, according to me, no contest. The Heresy to my ears is clearly superior. Compared to the Ahuja's they're balanced and nothing really is emphasised more than the other. The separation is also very good in the Heresy. OTOH, the Ahuja have prominent mids - almost "shouty", muddy bass and over emphatic highs. They're speakers meant to go loooud and will probably kick butt in a party where no one really cares much about the quality but I can see where some would prefer this sort of a sound over a mature presentation. My 2 cents worth. :)

I watched the video multiple times, I appreciate your time and efforts to share this with us. Enjoyed it! I find it challenging to believe Ahuja stands up to Heresy !!! this shows we have a local good full range speaker available. I am following the hype train and heading to buy a pair too. Kindly continue to share experiments with the Ahuja. Kudos to you sir.

The Heresy's sound very good in the 2nd set of videos you have posted. There is a midrange /lower mids issue with the OB you have posted earlier and that could be due to the cardboard.

I would compare them only after hearing it with the wood baffle before deciding. For all you know the vibration of the cardboard could be adding/subtracting something as well
Those videos are from 2016 or so. Pure Heresy, no sub and no confusion of amps.

I am also thinking the same that a wood baffle would make a difference for Ahujas. Ahujas came into play when the urge to get a FR got strong, found a dealer in UAE and of course some old threads on HVF (that made me join you guys). Was planning to cannibalize Heresy and put the Ahujas in the cab - same measurements as Heresy woofer. Good I came across OBs with Ahuja ;) ;)

No offence, but I’d still question the validity of all our hearing impressions of a speaker recording captured on phone (or mic ? ) , uploaded on and compressed by YouTube , heard on headphones. :)

Reason why some of the better respected hifi reviewers on YT only talk about the products and do not upload recordings.

I'd try to do it.

I have some older videos for the time being - in a different room half the area that is nearly filled with same furniture. Not a true representation of the present condition. Heresys were driven by Elekit valve amp in those videos. I can see some copyright claims on them now. Hope you'd be able to hear them. Done with now defunct MS Lumia 950 phone. The best sound recording for a phone I have had till now. (on Pixel 6 now - poor compared to Lumia)

Thanks for sharing these, Subbu. Once again, the impression of these being good rockers is validated. When drums (of any kind, western or Indian) come on, they shine. The PRAT - their strength is best capitalised on.

However, I could hear a lot of room echo/reflections in the sound. Why’s that? Probably more furniture and carpeting might have helped? i imagine you’ve taken care of that since. Also wonder what changes the DIY stand has done to the sound? The stock risers keep the Heresies much closer to the ground - don’t you think it’s part of the intended design? I read your argument about the listening height in comments section of one of the YT videos. But those taller stands also means you had to reduce the original angle of speakers, down to almost vertical. I wonder if that leads to more reflections off the floor than the original tilted position with the stock risers?

Do you have any recordings with the stock risers (in the same room) at all? Would be interesting to hear the contrast.

WAF is excellent for Heresy.

Oh yes, these are one of the most homelier speaker designs I’ve seen. The stocky built, low height, light coloured veneer, the beige grille, even that upward tilt - all of it adds up to a classic/Art Deco aesthetic that’s easy to fall in love it.

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back