Show off Your CD Player!

greenhorn

If a thread exists for this ,please merge with it.

I Recently bought an Onkyo C7030 for my dad who decided to switch to CD, and ended up buying some CD's from the US here for him - they are dirt cheap - you can get most of the good stuff for $1 each.
The soundstage of the player blew me away, and started to look for something for me.

Initially I bought a Sony DVD player with a brushed Aluminum front, because it matched my equipment, but even after adding an external DAC, the SQ was not that great.
I stumbled onto a Magnavox CDB582 which had a TDA1543, but it too sounded ordinary
THen i got a top loading JVC for convenience's sake - this was supposed to be one of the first 1 bit DAC's. It's mighty convenient, and i was chugging along with it..
When a Rotel RCD 855 showed up - It has a TDA1541A - I showed up at the seller's place the very next day. I was trying it out, and noticed that The CD's sounded more... immediate, more detailed. Just to confirm, i tried switching between my JVC, and noticed the difference is indeed there. This is a keeper!
IMG_20190910_082403833.jpgIMG_20200109_195146095.jpgIMG_20190113_214002397_HDR.jpgIMG_20190310_114524102 (1).jpg
Post Your CD Players (Bonus points for older ones!)

I Recently bought an Onkyo C7030 for my dad who decided to switch to CD, and ended up buying some CD's from the US here for him - they are dirt cheap - you can get most of the good stuff for $1 each.
The soundstage of the player blew me away, and started to look for something for me.

Initially I bought a Sony DVD player with a brushed Aluminum front, because it matched my equipment, but even after adding an external DAC, the SQ was not that great.
I stumbled onto a Magnavox CDB582 which had a TDA1543, but it too sounded ordinary
THen i got a top loading JVC for convenience's sake - this was supposed to be one of the first 1 bit DAC's. It's mighty convenient, and i was chugging along with it..
When a Rotel RCD 855 showed up - It has a TDA1541A - I showed up at the seller's place the very next day. I was trying it out, and noticed that The CD's sounded more... immediate, more detailed. Just to confirm, i tried switching between my JVC, and noticed the difference is indeed there. This is a keeper!
View attachment 42520View attachment 42521View attachment 42522View attachment 42523
That is a beautiful setup!
Gotta love the VU meters on that Kenwood(?) :)
The vinyl stacked are just as drool worthy

View attachment 42520View attachment 42521View attachment 42522View attachment 42523

Reminds me of the nostalgic eighties and nineties. Very good and sturdy setup.

Last edited:
With CD players, apart from the DAC chip implementation, the transport makes a massive difference. In this regard I think there are still few to beat the Philips CDM-0.
Anyone with experience of owning one here?
Philips CD303 was one thatr I can immediately recall.

Good to see some vintage stuff. I got the TD1541A based Yamaha CDX-630E two months ago and it was one of the best additions I did to my system. My Cambridge CXC had to move to my bedroom setup. This DAC was a phenomenon - wonder why they can’t simply mass produce it even today!

And the Yamaha player, though budget price range, is essentially the Sony CDP 710 (with the same KSS 151A mechanism) and was made in France. Flowing sound with good timing is how I’d describe it. The musicality index of the system went up a few rungs as a result.

P.S. How do I get the bonus points?:D

FD74B231-226D-4D23-8ED1-D1FCD0E4A362.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Might not match the rest in vintage. But I love it all the same :).

Apart from being a CD/ Sacd player. It is also my main dac and preamp. Feeding my power amps directly. Probably the singular best purchase of my life...And a big thanks to @ONEMANARMY IMG-20191221-WA0038.jpg for parting with it on my behalf :)

Iam away from home and don't have any other pics. So I might be showing my power amps in the pic also :D

Apart from being a CD/ Sacd player. It is also my main dac and preamp. Feeding my power amps directly. Probably the singular best purchase of my life...And a big thanks to @ONEMANARMY View attachment 42930 for parting with it on my behalf :)

Iam away from home and don't have any other pics. So I might be showing my power amps in the pic also :D

Seems the tube amps get really hot

Apart from being a CD/ Sacd player. It is also my main dac and preamp. Feeding my power amps directly. Probably the singular best purchase of my life...And a big thanks to @ONEMANARMY View attachment 42930 for parting with it on my behalf :)

Hi Manu,

That's one great enviable setup you got. I am sure those must be sounding great.

Regards,

Nitin

Seems the tube amps get really hot

Hi jmascreen...they do get burning hot and warm up the room pretty much. This is sauna room at most times. There are other components in the chain, that run equally hot or hotter than the tube amps. So much for the love of music :D

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back