Show off Your CD Player!

its a good one...

Philips used to make some world class CD players back then !

did you get this recently repaired ? or recently procured ?
Recent Acquisition? In a way, yes and know. No service history, mint condition.
Analogue out is wonderful, digital output: pathetic.
Some upgrades can be done to the power supply and the digital output sections, but just too lazy as I am satisfied with the analogue stage in its factory condition .
Maybe, maybe I may tweak the power section sometime down the line.

With CD players, apart from the DAC chip implementation, the transport makes a massive difference. In this regard I think there are still few to beat the Philips CDM-0.
Anyone with experience of owning one here?
Philips CD303 was one thatr I can immediately recall.
Agree. My Grundig Cd7500 sounds amazing. Even CD7550 with CDM1 sounds good.

Well it was Marantz SA7001. The CDP has hopped a few service centre and finally it was confirmed that the DAC is faulty and no spare parts are available. One centre checked it and told me that they can repair it for 19K without any warranty.
I decided not to proceed considering the total money spent and the forthcoming required investment.

I dont want to go for CDT since it would mean venturing into the DAC domain which would unnecessarily complicate the sonic chain.

Not sure of you got your answer but the marantz's has fairly decent transport section and for the same money you will get max bang for the buck by using this as a CDT ( assuming that works) and going for a more modern DAC and for 19K am sure you can do far better than the repair.
a DAC is perhaps that one component when increasing the chain is worth it as it opens out so many other options for digital playback.

else you can think of the following sites which are known to be more reliable

My Acoustic Portrait CD transport with a Philips CD Pro2m. This is the most musical transport I've ever heard. There is a certain smoothness to the CD Pro2m that basically no other transport possesses including the Sony based VRDS from esoteric.

Its a top loader with a puck to place on top of the CD. This transport will never scratch CDs and never have tray issues as the CD never touches anything and there is no tray. The price that Siva was selling it at - this was the bargain of the century IMHO. Not available anymore however.

Attachments

• cdp1.jpeg
    cdp1.jpeg
    119.9 KB · Views: 68
  • cdp2.jpeg
    cdp2.jpeg
    91.8 KB · Views: 69
Long time since I played my transport !

I use a Softone Model 3 Transport. Japanese and based on the CDM Pro2 as above and Fully made out of solid steel with a glass shutter for loading the cd. Been with me for 10 years now as said above by @reignofchaos one of the best by Phillips

Sivas transport above is perhaps better since he has an additional filter/transformer in the Spdif out if I remember right.

Softone2.jpegSOftone 1.jpeg

Not sure of you got your answer but the marantz's has fairly decent transport section and for the same money you will get max bang for the buck by using this as a CDT ( assuming that works) and going for a more modern DAC and for 19K am sure you can do far better than the repair.
a DAC is perhaps that one component when increasing the chain is worth it as it opens out so many other options for digital playback.

else you can think of the following sites which are known to be more reliable
Hey thanks for your wonderful inputs. However, at later part, the transport section of my Marantz was showing trouble. I had to try multiple times before the laser could read the contents. The head was changed but the problem remained. Overall, the hardware assembly was screwed by so-called repair experts who did everything their wild imagination could comprehend to check the results. It is lying in some junkyard now.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back