Shure V15 Type III - NOS

jls001

Last Saturday I got a very unexpected adventure in hifi, thanks to malvai who sent me to pick up an Ortofon MCA 76 MC phono preamp which was offered to him by a seller in Mumbai. Since he was not interested to buy it, he kindly offered it to me. I haven't tested it yet as I don't have any MC! But I must say that I got it for a very good price, say at slightly more than 10% of current ebay prices. Thanks again, malvai.

As an afterthought, the seller told me that he has a Shure V15 cartridge. It turned out to be a Type III, and a NOS, complete with box, all leaflets, and instruction manuals. I was elated, to say the least, and tried hard not to show to the seller. I promptly picked it up and here's a picture story of its unboxing:

1. The box - front:

2. The box - rear:

3. The bakelite-like box:

4. The content of the box:

5. Contents - freed at last from the confines of the box

6. The instructions booklet

7. Page 1 of the booklet:

8. The offer of Test of Trackability Record - note the date:)

9. The Specs Page

I haven't started using it. I guess I will keep it safe for those special occasions. The replacement stylus for my other V15 III is currently in the post, so that will become my MM workhorse.

Very very nice indeed you lucky fellow! You could always gift the ortofon headamp to me to use with my spu ;) :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good find joshua. Any other phono related stuff the gentleman had for sale ?

Last edited:
Yep. He's expecting a 301 or 401 soon. About 85K he said.
85,000 Rs. :eek: out of reach for me.
I don't understand the obsession for vintage Turntables. I know they are very well made. So unless they are restored to their prime condition prices sellers are demanding are insane. Platter Bearing and Idler wheels being the most important will affect sound quality. Old Garrards should be worth only Rs. 25,000 / 30,000 maximum. But demand has made them out of reach.

Bros. dont bash me up but personally for me high fidelity turntable are from Isolated motor belt drive to Direct Drive to the last idler drive.(Exception being TD124 which has small belt to drive the pulley) The small belt of TD124 avoids creeps and slips and keeps motor isolated as much as possible.

P.S. : hee hee having said that soon I will be having all three drive system turntables. :D
Regards

:) yes joshua. Dont know why vinyls and TTs have such lure. May be it brings out the kids in us like restoration and fiddling with mechanical things. :D

Practically speaking my idler will be for few 78s that i have, belt drive for Hindi/indian classical and pop songs. and DD for rock and western classical.
Regards

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back