Simple 2.1 HT for TV/FM

Kudla

Could members here suggest me a simple n sleek 2.1 HT, primarily for viewing TV and at times for music. We have built-in provision for 2 rear speakers in the living room.

I am NOT so keen on soundbars. I would prefer, if it has FM tuner, USB and Aux features.

Please advise.

Hi if u need a tuner also then you may consider a Hifi system from Sony, Panasonic etc. But I am sure none of our FMs incl me recommend that, I am assuming that you have crossed that stage.

I suggest better get an amp and speakers for now which will be a huge step forward. Don't think of a subwoofer and tuner now. Norge amps and Sonodyne speakers should be a good place to start research. Pl don't jump to decisions yet. You may need to stretch your budget a bit more say by 5k to get a good stereo system.

Norge 2060 will be able to drive entry level bookshelves well. Do a research as per your choice and come back with queries. You will get good advise if you are specific

Could members here suggest me a simple n sleek 2.1 HT, primarily for viewing TV and at times for music. We have built-in provision for 2 rear speakers in the living room.

I am NOT so keen on soundbars. I would prefer, if it has FM tuner, USB and Aux features.

Please advise.

Did you check this?

SC-HT20 Speakers - Panasonic India

SC-HT20
? Analog audio input
? Support USB in MP3 file format
? Supports RCA Input as well as Stereo Mini input
? Remote Control
? Volume, treble and bass controller on the top panel
? Touch sensor control panel on top of subwoofer
? Compatible with TV, DVD Player, PC, etc, via RCA and Stereo Mini Input

I got this for my father in law and he really loves it. The sound quality is quite good for the price of around 5k. He he, you could save the money and go in for a super setup later on and move this to the study.

MaSh

Re: Simple HT for TV/FM

But I am sure none of our FMs incl me recommend that, I am assuming that you have crossed that stage.
You may need to stretch your budget a bit more say by 5k to get a good stereo system.

I can live without FM feature and also can increase my budget until 25K.

Did you check this?

SC-HT20 Speakers - Panasonic India

I got this for my father in law and he really loves it. The sound quality is quite good for the price of around 5k. He he, you could save the money and go in for a super setup later on and move this to the study.

MaSh

Thanks! I am looking for some sleek speakers. Can stretch the budget until 25K.

Please advise.

Hi 25k is a decent budget to start with, norge +wharfedale is liked by many FMs. It will have good bass and should go well for ur requirement. When u want to upgrade this setup will fetch you good resale as well.

Remember to spend 65-70% budget on speakers as they make the most diff Balance can go on the amp. Try to contact Norge and get to know the prices. Wharf is avlbl in Hifimart at good prices. Just have a word and see. I would have recommended Boston A26 but they are not available for group buy. JBL control one, Cambridge audio S30, Q accoustics 2010 etc are well reputed and priced at 10k mark. But I still suggest wharfedale. They are extremely good.

Hi 25k is a decent budget to start with, norge +wharfedale is liked by many FMs. It will have good bass and should go well for ur requirement. When u want to upgrade this setup will fetch you good resale as well.
Remember to spend 65-70% budget on speakers as they make the most diff Balance can go on the amp. Try to contact Norge and get to know the prices. Wharf is avlbl in Hifimart at good prices. Just have a word and see. I would have recommended Boston A26 but they are not available for group buy. JBL control one, Cambridge audio S30, Q accoustics 2010 etc are well reputed and priced at 10k mark. But I still suggest wharfedale. They are extremely good.

Could you please suggest me a Amp/AVR and a pair of surround speakers within my budget? I can start looking with that as reference.

Thanks!

That's much better, there are many satisfied users, why .. In a matter if 3 days u just doubled ur budget, that's what happens in Hifi ... Best of luck

Re: Simple 5.1 HT for TV/FM

That's much better, there are many satisfied users, why .. In a matter if 3 days u just doubled ur budget, that's what happens in Hifi ... Best of luck

He He :) You are right! I thought i can live with 2.1 HT system. Slowly, got to know so much about the HT systems on this forum. So would like to do a one time investment for at the least next 5 years.

Are there any HTiB apart from YHT-99, like say from Onkyo or Denon?

Please advise.

The Yamaha HTIB looks like a good bet. For movies they are on par with Onkyo, but I find Yamaha to be more musical so that's an advantage.

Thanks! Almost made up my mind on Yamaha. Have been quoted 33k for the same at RD.

I see in your signature Sony RDP-XF300. How are you living with the poor FM reception on that device? Are there any workarounds to improve the same?

Thanks! Almost made up my mind on Yamaha. Have been quoted 33k for the same at RD.

I see in your signature Sony RDP-XF300. How are you living with the poor FM reception on that device? Are there any workarounds to improve the same?

Don't use FM. Its for the iPad (bought it mainly for use without the lightning connector and to avoid Bluetooth streaming).

I listen to iTunes Music, Spotify and a couple of other streaming services like AT40. TIDAL is a new service I've been checking out and have been mighty impressed with their higher bitrate music.

Re: Simple 5.1 HT for TV/FM

The Yamaha HTIB looks like a good bet. For movies they are on par with Onkyo, but I find Yamaha to be more musical so that's an advantage.

Any other alternatives to YHT-299 in that budget? What are the equivalent systems in Onkyo and Denon for 299?

Please advise.

Re: Simple HT for TV/FM

I can live without FM feature and also can increase my budget until 25K.

Thanks! I am looking for some sleek speakers. Can stretch the budget until 25K.

Please advise.

He he... no amount of budget stretch is ever enough when it comes to this field. If you are open to used stuff, you could pick up a pre used receiver and match them to new speakers. Later on you could pick a new receiver better suited to your requirements and taste.

You could take a look at http://www.hifivision.com/what-should-i-buy/61040-budget-receiver.html#post674502 where I have tried to document my recent receiver purchase experience.

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back