Simple basic complicated Question

music4mhell

Hello Guys,

I have some doubts in my mind.

When we use Active subwoofer in a 2.1 active channel , we know that the low freq till 85-100 Hz are produced by the SUB and all 100Hz+ freq are produced by the other 2 active speakers.

My query is that what happens when we use -4 db or -6 db switches on the active speakers. Low freq cut off will be same.
I have noticed the Active speakers become less loud when i use -6/-4 db switches.

Could any1 plz explain what really happens in above scenario ?

Thanks guys. I hope i am not asking too much technical.:rolleyes:

These are two different scenarios here.

In the first instance, the crossover is handled by the amplifier that ensures only the desired frequencies go to a particular speaker or sub.

In the second case, when you set the db switches on a speaker, you are telling the speaker how to distribute the frequencies between the internal drivers inside the speaker. All speakers with multiple drivers have an internal crossover circuitry. That is what you manage with the db switch.

Cheers

These are two different scenarios here.

In the first instance, the crossover is handled by the amplifier that ensures only the desired frequencies go to a particular speaker or sub.

In the second case, when you set the db switches on a speaker, you are telling the speaker how to distribute the frequencies between the internal drivers inside the speaker. All speakers with multiple drivers have an internal crossover circuitry. That is what you manage with the db switch.

Cheers

In my case my SUB has a crossover at 85Hz...
So i don't need to touch the db switches on my speakers ?

Venkat, I think he is referring to attenuation level settings of some frequencies. Read the end of Page 7 here.

music4mhell, is this what you are referring to? I have a suggestion: When you pose a question about gear it would help to mention what make & model of equipment you are referring to. If the settings in manual I linked to above is what you are talking about, then it is clearly mentioned there what those switches are for. If you need more information, please ask.

Last edited:
Venkat, I think he is referring to attenuation level settings of some frequencies. See the end of Page 7 here.

music4mhell, is this what you are referring to? I have a suggestion: When you pose a question about gear it would help to mention what make & model of equipment you are referring to. If the settings in manual I linked to above is what you are talking about then it is clearly mentioned there what those switches are for. If you need more information, please ask.

Yes thats the page...

My monitors are Genelec 8010.. Sub is Genelec F one SUB

I know my sub has a crossover Freq at 85Hz...

On the top of that , what's the use of Bass tilt switches.... Like -4 db or -6 db ?

Thanks for asking further info.

I know my sub has a crossover Freq at 85Hz...
Then what you said in your first post was all wrong:
we know that the low freq till 85-100 Hz are produced by the SUB and all 100Hz+ freq are produced by the other 2 active speakers.
If the crossover frequency is 85Hz then everything below 85Hz goes to your subwoofer.
On the top of that , what's the use of Bass tilt switches.... Like -4 db or -6 db ?
Please read Page 4 of your monitor model manual. The explanation is there.

Then what you said in your first post was all wrong:
If the crossover frequency is 85Hz then everything below 85Hz goes to your subwoofer.

Please read Page 4 of your monitor model manual. The explanation is there.

Kya sir,,

I said "If the crossover frequency is 85Hz then everything below 85Hz goes to your subwoofer."

It means the same thing you said " the crossover frequency is 85Hz then everything below 85Hz goes to your subwoofer."

Evrything below 85Hz .. i have written..

And i have read those manual 100 times from last several months,

I posted here to get it explained properly,

Please don't advice me to read the manual, that even "Rahul Gandhi" will suggest me ..:rolleyes:

Kya sir,,

I said "If the crossover frequency is 85Hz then everything below 85Hz goes to your subwoofer."

It means the same thing you said " the crossover frequency is 85Hz then everything below 85Hz goes to your subwoofer."

Evrything below 85Hz .. i have written..
Where did you post that? Sorry, I must have missed it. I can see this in your first post :
When we use Active subwoofer in a 2.1 active channel , we know that the low freq till 85-100 Hz are produced by the SUB and all 100Hz+ freq are produced by the other 2 active speakers.
and that is not the same as saying "everything below 85Hz goes to your subwoofer"
And i have read those manual 100 times from last several months,

I posted here to get it explained properly,
According to the manual it means that the bass frequencies are brought down [attenuated] by 2dB, 4dB or 6dB depending upon what you set the switches at. They don't say [disclaimer: I didn't read the whole manual] what "bass" frequencies are brought down.
Please don't advice me to read the manual, that even "Rahul Gandhi" will suggest me ..:rolleyes:
Rahul Gandhi? Is he active on this forum? I had no idea!!! Or do you mean I'm a "pappu"? OK, I get the hint. I'm out of here. I'll leave it to Rahul Gandhi to answer your vague question/s. :indifferent14:

Last edited:
Where did you post that? Sorry, I must have missed it. I can see this in your first post :
and that is not the same as saying "everything below 85Hz goes to your subwoofer"

According to the manual it means that the bass frequencies are brought down [attenuated] by 2dB, 4dB or 6dB depending upon what you set the switches at. They don't say [disclaimer: I didn't read the whole manual] what "bass" frequencies are brought down.

Rahul Gandhi? Is he active on this forum? I had no idea!!! Or do you mean I'm a "pappu"? OK, I get the hint. I'm out of here. I'll leave it to Rahul Gandhi to answer your vague question/s. :indifferent14:

Ok Thanks,

How can you say it's a vague Q ?
I know bass freq will be brought down to 2db, 4db or 6 db.
But what's the impact on cross over freq ?

By the way don't take on ego... Every one has their own :D

Your monitors are 8010, in the manual link below:

file:///C:/Users/intel/Downloads/Genelec_8010A_OpMan.pdf

Page 4 explains this in general under "tone controls"

They haven't mentioned what happens when sub is attached. Maybe the genelec technical team can answer your query?

Its a genwric q.

When you are using active 2.1 channel from Mackie, Presonjs, Adams, Sonodyne, Samson etc etc. you get the same tone controls.

Let see if some one can give more insights on above scenario.

The attenuation controls are to do with speaker placement, and not necessarily with the presence of Sub or not. In case of your 8010s:

If the speakers are placed in a corner (2 walls) or mounted on a back wall (1 wall), then the walls are reinforcing bass.
So use "bass tilt" control and attenuate accordingly (the frequency range seems be up to 1KHz and below; spec figure 4).
If the speakers are placed on a hard table use the "desktop" control and attenuate accordingly (the frequency range is around 200Hz; spec figure 4).
If both of the above conditions are true, you will need a combination.
When you add a sub to the mix, you may have to further attenuate LF response of monitors, unless you already at -6dB

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Raghu

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back