Simplifying my digital life...

I bought another Play 1!!! During my recent US trip, I picked one from San Jose. Have paired with existing one in a stereo setup.
My family is not with me nowadays. I listen to Johnny Cash pretty much every night till I fall asleep! Sonos has a timer function which auto shuts down the system as I doze off. Loving it.

Listening Notes
With stereo pair, expectedly separation is better but the WOW factor is still not there. Probably it would never be. Again as expected.

With my existing 5.1 rig:
I would not sell the existing setup (as mentioned by almost ALL of you) but I am definitely keeping my sonos and will keep adding to the ecosystem. I have been told they grow like mushrooms! Rightly so.
I would; may be, downgrade my existing setup to a 2.0 system with an integrated amp and move to a dedicated listening room. I am not much of a movie person so I would put in a soundbar with a wireless sub attached to the TV.

I am now wondering:
1. Which integrated amp would go well with my B&W 685s..?
2. Would I lose a lot of low-end if I let go the sub?
3. Maybe I should upgrade to towers? Which ones and which amp to pair with them..?

There it goes, I opened another Panodra's box and the quest continues...

-Abhishek

On the digital side, add an echo dot connect them to sonos and subscribe to spotify premium. Makes it the next level of easy :)

Listening Notes
With stereo pair, expectedly separation is better but the WOW factor is still not there. Probably it would never be. Again as expected
-Abhishek

I started on a similar journey about 1.5 years ago. Initially I wasn't sure what to expect moving from 7.1 system with Magepans, parasound and Svs sub and Technics TT to a digital system.

I am at the crossroads now and have started to like digital after few evolving rounds.

Currently I have Roon with MicroRendu with Peachtree Nova DAC going into LSI statement ribbon speakers. All my CDs are in flac. Sound is absolutely excellent for blues, classic rock, fusion and instrumentals. The ease and flexibility with the sound quality beats more complex setups.

I am hoping in 6-9 months I will start to break up my HT and end up with another 2.1 with floor standers and a sub for oomph.

Revisiting the thread and responses from everybody. Took me back in time! We are all now two years older and I am now two years more foolish! Rounding off this thread - I did not downgrade my main setup. Sonos started and continues to stay in the bedroom. Two days ago came across NAD M3. Mother of God! Upgrade bug has started itching (not biting as yet) again. The story of life goes on with all you good people still around...

I just read the entire thread with initial despair & shock . . . then eased out a little with those encouraging advice from FMs . . . and now finally, laughing and feeling good for you.

Last edited:
There are ways to simplify any setup.

If it Sonos like simplicity you are after, there are ways to achieve that at a fairly low incremental cost and without any compromises on your existing audio quality.
I could completely empathise with Your point on WAF - actually make it WUF (Wife-usability factor)
I was not in a very dissimilar boat but progressively moved to a model where she too can now comfortably stream music pretty much anywhere in the house with no more than either a couple of clicks on a phone or through voice.

My recommendation - Change your existing setup to make it more user friendly rather than building another ground-up

Edit:: LOL - Just realized this was a major necro :)

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back