smaller RCA connectors - replacing on existing cables

anm

Hi,
My AVR was fitting well in the cabinet when I measured without putting all those RCA plugs at the back.
But now with the RCA plugs put in, the avr doesn't go deep enough and is kind of hanging out. One of them is really large - the one given by the projector setup guy for composite connection to projector. I really need it to switch video inputs between tata sky, digi cam/ camcorder. For my dvd, I use HDMI directly connected to DVDP.

I wish to change these RCA connectors, and others too to a smaller foot print rca. Are there any available?
Any guidelines on cutting the cable and soldering these new RCA plugs on them? Or maybe making simple cable / interconnects myself?

Maybe I can get some from soundsgreat :)

regards

Hi

Dont know what RCA s u have so difficult to say whether they get any smaller. Try Neutrik (not the profi) as they are cheap and relatively small. Yes u will have to remove the old pins and solder these onto your cables.
Is it not possible to cut the rear portion of the cabinet to accomodate the AVR with some clearance? This would be a better bet IMO

Hi,

I wish to change these RCA connectors, and others too to a smaller foot print rca. Are there any available?
Any guidelines on cutting the cable and soldering these new RCA plugs on them? Or maybe making simple cable / interconnects myself?

Could you please take few snaps and post it here so that we can have look at it ?? coz without the pic its very hard to guess and recommend !

Also see whether you can implement dinyaar's idea ;)! also as he said try neutrick (but they are not very small though)

if you want to make one for yourself,then please try to locate a good quality 75Ohm Co-Ax cable of the desired lenght and solder it to the RCA's

Maybe I can get some from soundsgreat :)

Meaning the RCA's or the cable :p??

In any case I can certainly help you,not a problem ;)! The courier thing is what we should take care somehow !

Regards.

thanks dinyar. Not sure where will I get them. There isn't any shop in Noida that I know of that would carry budget priced connectors. I spent 750 for a set of 4 gold plated banana plugs some time back but not using them as of now.

I meant the cables :)
Will try to post pics.
Can I get the 75 ohm cables easily on electric wires shop? I have seen one in Noida will try it there. I don't have much idea of shops in delhi.

regards

Hi,

Could you please take few snaps and post it here so that we can have look at it ?? coz without the pic its very hard to guess and recommend !

Also see whether you can implement dinyaar's idea ;)! also as he said try neutrick (but they are not very small though)

if you want to make one for yourself,then please try to locate a good quality 75Ohm Co-Ax cable of the desired lenght and solder it to the RCA's

Meaning the RCA's or the cable :p??

In any case I can certainly help you,not a problem ;)! The courier thing is what we should take care somehow !

Regards.

thanks dinyar. Not sure where will I get them. There isn't any shop in Noida that I know of that would carry budget priced connectors. I spent 750 for a set of 4 gold plated banana plugs some time back but not using them as of now.

Am sorry i have no idea of Noida availability. Neutrik is available everywhere in bbay and the range starts at about 90 Rs to 650Rs per RCA connector. Fair quality.
Now Rs 750 for 4 banana plugs is not expensive provided they are of some standard. By that i mean u get 'shiny gold plated' bananas here for Rs 50 and they are pure junk!!!!!!!!

Hi,

I meant the cables
Will try to post pics.
Can I get the 75 ohm cables easily on electric wires shop? I have seen one in Noida will try it there. I don't have much idea of shops in delhi.

Surething I can make a cable and send ;) !

You cannot get them in electrical shops ! have to try in electronics spare parts or similar shops !! if you have no other option then try the TV video cable thats 75Ohm and will suit ! try for Comscope brand or similar which is very good ;)!

Yeah please do post the pics !

Regards.

sorry I forgot to click a pic when I was at home. But all of them, the ones I want to trash, are on the end of standard cables included like in tata sky, digicam and camcorder. Very similar to stock a/v cables included with DVD players.

This one seems to have a smaller backside. Where can I find it?
~AdptRcaRt.jpg

Audiogear.com

Last edited:
Anm,strongly suggest just enlarge/create holes at the back of the cabinet-the easiest & neatest thing to do-wld provide some ventilation also!

Hi,

Anm I also somewhat agree with Kamal and Dinyaar !

But anyways,the pic that you've attached is not a RCA plug !! its a RCA Male to Female converter :p !! you cannot solder wires to it !

The existing RCA cables should look like the ones below right ??

supply_3RCA_Composite_Audio%25252FVideo_Cable_Male%25252FMale20090330.jpg

Most probably yes,coz by default most of the companies give this as a standard cable (including TATA and others) ! its not much of use or its not worth to cut them and solder a smaller pins to them ! you either extend the cabinet and use the same or make new cable altogether !!

This is a small plug that I used to make Interconnect to a London friend :) ! if it suits same can be used for you or I can send the Plugs alone so that you make your own cable ;)!!

P1050145.JPG

Think over and let Us know what you've decided ;)!!

Regards.

Last edited:
exactly!

The existing RCA cables should look like the ones below right ??

supply_3RCA_Composite_Audio%25252FVideo_Cable_Male%25252FMale20090330.jpg

hmm - but won't you get normal plugs too in this shape? And, this too might work if I push my cables into it - they would be in a plane parallel to backplate of amp where there maybe some space. Not sure though - if they are vertical, left channel and right channel jacks can overlap - will have to angle it a bit - but then they may overlap between INPUT1 and INPUT2 etc.

But anyways,the pic that you've attached is not a RCA plug !! its a RCA Male to Female converter !! you cannot solder wires to it !

That would be great! How long is it? I will measure the ones I have. How much would it cost per piece? The MX connectors posted are quite affordable it seems.

This is a small plug that I used to make Interconnect to a London friend :) ! if it suits same can be used for you or I can send the Plugs alone so that you make your own cable ;)!!

P1050145.JPG

Think over and let Us know what you've decided ;)!!

Regards.

Last edited:
Hi,

but won't you get normal plugs too in this shape? And, this too might work if I push my cables into it - they would be in a plane parallel to backplate of amp where there maybe some space. Not sure though - if they are vertical, left channel and right channel jacks can overlap - will have to angle it a bit - but then they may overlap between INPUT1 and INPUT2 etc.

The first part is ok but the rest Am not sure what exactly you meant :p! yes the same quality spare RCA plugs are available and is very cheap too (both in terms of price and quality) ! but size Am not sure (usually its bit big) !

That would be great! How long is it? I will measure the ones I have. How much would it cost per piece? The MX connectors posted are quite affordable it seems.

The IC in pic is of 1.5Mts but thats already as said given to my UK friend ! so no use talking bout that ! you want a specific length then let me will see bout that !

The price of MX indeed is economical ! but some of them seem good in pitcure then actual product !

The cable I make usually will be of Teflon sheath with Silver coated Copper so naturally will be expensive (say around 3K Approx) ! so am not sure you are ok with that high cost cable for the setup !

Whatever the case let me know will see what I can do !

Regards.

no - I meant length of the plug that would be jutting out of the back of avr, not the length of entire cable!
I think a good cable would cost around that - but it is a waste for connecting tata sky and other low quality sources.

regards

Hi,

Ohh you mean the length of the RCA :p ! it should be around 1.5" or so !

but it is a waste for connecting tata sky and other low quality sources.

On contrary to the belief, A good quality cable may actually bring the picture quality to a little better level ! you see these normal cables have often losses due to the mixture of other metals (its not pure copper let alone OFC) !! So a good quality cable will have no losses (atleast the very least ) and transmit the picture to the destination with very good results !

Regards.

as of now, the composite video cable goes into my projector which is 30ft long. I don't think I can easily change that cable.
My avr does video switching for composite. But for movies, I have direct hdmi out of dvdp to projector. My next avr (don't know when - I do not need it badly) will do video switching of everything into a single hdmi cable.

regards

Last edited:
Hello Friends,

I need Good quality RCA cable to connect my sound card and amp. Which brand i have to buy and where i can get this in chennai.Because for sound card i need mini jack to rca card.

Hi soundsgreat ,

Are you able build a DIY speaker cable for me.I am not having exp on this i have tried with cat 5 cable i have seen that i got good treble and details but i was not able to complety judge this.

Regards,

Naseer

Hi,

Naseer can you please eleborate on the setup ??

Please Let me know whether you wish to connect the Stereo Analogue out from the sound card to the Amp ??

Which is the Amp that you wish to connect ?

As for me making a speaker cable,Same details are required ! which Amp,which Speakers ?

I am not having exp on this i have tried with cat 5 cable i have seen that i got good treble and details but i was not able to complety judge this.

I have time and again written bout these cables in the forum,please search and read ;) ! All I can say is they are not good !

Finally if you need any other details you can also mail me at [email protected]

Regards.

Hi SoundsGreat,

I have parasound HDA1200 Amp and Dennon speakers.My pc as source for me which has prelude sound card i want to connect the Stereo Analogue out from the sound card to the Amp.

Regards,

M.Naseer

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back