So if my Player has Dual Mono & Balanced output how is that good?

humblebee

What is dual mono and how is it better than stereo?
And what is balanced output & how is it better than unbalanced in terms of listening experience?
I am not able to find a good and simple explanation.

Asking because I saw these in the Geekwave campaign here -https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/geek-wave-a-no-compromise-portable-music-player

I am sure a lot of the 'geeks' here will murder me, but let me explain it in really simple terms.

1. Dual mono is a pre and power amplifier circuit where the left and right channels are isolated, processed and amplified.

2. Fully balanced is a way of carrying signals from one point to another. In the balanced mode, two wires carry the same signal that have identical impedances at the source and destination ends. Any interference will create the same noise on both wires. These will be identified at the destination end and removed from the sound signal. To do this one wire carries the signal in phase and the other in reverse polarity.

A fully balanced circuit delivers pure sounds as the receiving end knows what is the sound signals and what is electromagnetic noise.

Cheers

Last edited:
In the context of sound, dual mono is mixing left and right channels into a single channel. This mixed channel is then sent to both the left and right channels in the broadcast master tape, so that both left and right carry the complete sound. It is used by many TV channels because cable operators usually feed just one audio channel to the consumer. If the TV channel were to give true stereo sound, the consumer will end up hearing only half the sound, because most cable infra is equipped to handle only one audio channel per TV channel. So it doesn't matter whether the cable guy sends you the left or the right channel - you'll receive the complete sound. Only its not true stereo.

In the context of audio devices, what venkatcr had explained above is perfect.

What is dual mono and how is it better than stereo?

100% channel separation :)

And what is balanced output & how is it better than unbalanced in terms of listening experience?

A fully balanced circuit delivers pure sounds as the receiving end knows what is the sound signals and what is electromagnetic noise.

If I may add a word or two to Venkat's explanation: it "knows" what noise has been picked up by the cable. By subtracting the noise, as Venkat explains, what you eventually get at the destination device is what left the source device.

Is it better? My opinion is that it is a superior design, and is a proper piece of engineering, whereas "single-ended" RCA cables are more of an accident of history. It is intended to work in studios where cables may be many metres long, and in auditoriums where they may be even longer. Will it make a difference for a 0.5m interconnect? I doubt it very much.

Another thing about pro, balanced connection: the levels are quite a lot higher.

My choice: always try to connect balanced to balanced, unbalanced to unbalanced ---although conversion is possible--- and, if balanced inputs and outputs are available, I'd choose them over the unbalanced sockets on the same kit. If only because I like the theory :).

Do not try to use balanced cables to connect unbalanced equipment. There cannot be any advantage, and there may well be disadvantage.

you'll receive the complete sound. Only its not true stereo.
AYlgpr

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back