So, what can we do to reduce noise, pollution this Deepavali/Diwali?

Yes there are SJWs here, you can be "offended" (as "SJWs" easily are
Are you talking about the snowflakes that call the other side fools, hypocrites, etc & that hate their own ethnicity or the ones that get called SJWs regardless? Either way, these comments do nothing but get validation from like-minded people. But if its what makes you sleep at night, you're free to do so. There's things I could've also called the conservatives here that would've been more offensive yet true but i wouldn't want to provoke anybody.

People can scream with their whataboutery all they want talking about food, transport,etc but you're not convincing anybody and that explains the growing backlash against crackers. And that makes me very happy.

Not burning crackers indicates acceptance to change, adaptability and readiness to change even in most personal matters.
You realise you're talking about a country where endogamy is still the norm which is just weird?

2 in 3 families won’t burn crackers this Diwali​

nice. The past surveys are in line with this too even if not entirely accurate. Can't wait to watch the yearly progress with all of you for almost a century I've left. :-D

First of all, one cannot trust such surveys % predictions as their sample size and coverage/geography is so limited for the vast variety of Indian populace.
However from the trend they have published, we can see, some important aspects regd India & our people get buttressed.

1. Hinduism has no single specific scripture/God/Guru etc. So people follow what they feel is generally good (its democratic). They will oppose any unsubstantiated bindings even if it is not affecting them. (the spirit of SarveApi Sukhinah Bhavantu.)

2. Not supporting ban indicates, general opposition to hegemony. No wonder many cultures developed, religions patronized/accepted by the residents of this great country. (Diversity)

3. Not burning crackers indicates acceptance to change, adaptability and readiness to change even in most personal matters. Acceptance of Hindu Code bill of 1955 is another great example of this.

4. Self driven cultures keep going continuously even if they face adversities. But Once this self-driving force is disturbed, you will see collapse of many social institutions in our society. Thats why our laws should be in consonance with our cultural ethos and should not be based on foreign ideas which are almost incompatible.

BTW, China & Russia did skip this.
It shows difference between the communist mindsets and Indian mindset. Many of us remember chipko andolan by poor peasant women. It happened in 1973 in UP by as well as in 1730 by Bishnois. There was no oncept of Global warming then. But dtill we did it.
Indians who treat planet Earth as Mother Earth and world as a family, will always be taking care of these things.
Thank you for sharing these interesting observations and examples. The Chipko movement was revolutionary indeed.

As you point out, all ancient cultures grew out of a deep reverence and respect for nature.

Our contemporary lifestyles and global supply chain based economy distances us from realising the environmental impact and costs of our day to day consumption and lifestyle choices.

Reluctance to give up these comforts for the sake of greater good is always going to be a tough ask.

I believe the willingness to act urgently on climate change will be the defining aspect of our generation if and when history is written about these times in the future.

The past surveys are in line with this too even if not entirely accurate. Can't wait to watch the yearly progress with all of you for almost a century I've left. :-D
Hopefully the MoEF or HRD ministry will conduct one that is robust and more representative, soon.

The LocalCircles’ survey received around 28,000 responses from Indian households in 371 districts nationwide.
“63 per cent respondents were men and 37 per cent were women; 41 per cent respondents were from Tier 1, 33 per cent from Tier 2 and 26 per cent respondents were from Tier 3, 4 and rural districts,”

Nevertheless I though this finding was significant: On why households were choosing not to burn crackers this Diwali, the most commonly cited reason was air pollution — 63 per cent.

Change is in the air!!! (Or as Bob Dylan sang: the answer my friend is blowing in the wind)

You realise you're talking about a country where endogamy is still the norm which is just weird?
Weird?? Not at all...

Endogamy is not necessarily bad or exogamy necessarily good.
Look at the context.
Exogamy was being practiced since times immemorial by Kings & Nobles. Why?.. to expand, to keep friendly relations i.e. political & strategic purposed.
What was the use of exogamy for commoners? Beyond that limited were the opportunities. Marriage proposals were most through common acquaintances and Vadhu/Var befitting the family used to be the bride/groom.

In todays context, exogamy has become more of a issue of personal choice due to so many reasons. Also Families are mostly nuclear, thanks to population explosion & techno-commercial revolutions, individuals with desirable qualities (marital) are found all across communities. So do young people are already exercising their right to choose in many cases. All this has happened in very short span in last 4-5 decades. One should appreciate the pace instead.

Lets not blame endogamy for the sake of exogamy.

Ok if there was a survey that asks whether tobacco and alcohol should be banned, i think the percentage would be more close to 100. But will the govt ever consider this? How many times sc has passed the verdict that these substances should be banned although its proved how many people die due to tobacco and alcohol each year, yet there is no proof how many people die of pollution due to firecrackers and govt wants to ban it. If someone is made a fool, does it mean he is foolish? I do not know of anyone who has not been made a fool at some point in time of life by someone. This does not mean he is a foolish being, it only means that he was not able to think for himself at that moment of time or got carried away or was brainwashed in blunt sense. Society can only be progressive if it learns to think for itself and not get carried away by media or govt which always look for diverting real issues and taking shortcuts. If we so progressive we wont have been ruled by so many illiterate politicians, you may accept the reality or not its your choice.

"Many of my generation are angry and frustrated at leaders who've made empty promises and failed to deliver. And we have every reason to be angry. But I've no time for anger. I want to act. I'm not just a girl from India. I'm a girl from Earth and I'm proud to be so. I'm also a student, innovator, environmentalist and entrepreneur but most importantly, I'm an optimist," she told the world.

Weird?? Not at all...

Endogamy is not necessarily bad or exogamy necessarily good.
Look at the context.
Exogamy was being practiced since times immemorial by Kings & Nobles. Why?.. to expand, to keep friendly relations i.e. political & strategic purposed.
What was the use of exogamy for commoners? Beyond that limited were the opportunities. Marriage proposals were most through common acquaintances and Vadhu/Var befitting the family used to be the bride/groom.

In todays context, exogamy has become more of a issue of personal choice due to so many reasons. Also Families are mostly nuclear, thanks to population explosion & techno-commercial revolutions, individuals with desirable qualities (marital) are found all across communities. So do young people are already exercising their right to choose in many cases. All this has happened in very short span in last 4-5 decades. One should appreciate the pace instead.

Lets not blame endogamy for the sake of exogamy.
Endogamy does seem to have health effects associated with it.

"A CCMB study published in Nature Genetics on Monday found that out of 263 unique South Asian groups studied, around 81 have a large number of recessive diseases."

The article even talks about specific castes too like some kshtriyas and vaishya castes that more likely have specific diseases.

It should be easy to find the full paper if you're interested if you try searching for it. Endogamy is objectively bad health-wise.

"If someone is made a fool, does it mean he is foolish? I do not know of anyone who has not been made a fool at some point in time of life by someone. This does not mean he is a foolish being, it only means that he was not able to think for himself at that moment of time or got carried away or was brainwashed in blunt sense."

This is addressing me, I only pointed it out because someone specifically meant Indians, not people in general, are easiest to make fools out of and the poster futher made his intentions clear by saying that it was the reason why Indians were ruled by every Tom Dick & Harry because apparently Indians were fools then and the rulers were not and apparently we're still the same because some of us discourage crackers.

Last edited:
Ok if there was a survey that asks whether tobacco and alcohol should be banned, i think the percentage would be more close to 100. But will the govt ever consider this? How many times sc has passed the verdict that these substances should be banned although its proved how many people die due to tobacco and alcohol each year, yet there is no proof how many people die of pollution due to firecrackers and govt wants to ban it. If someone is made a fool, does it mean he is foolish? I do not know of anyone who has not been made a fool at some point in time of life by someone. This does not mean he is a foolish being, it only means that he was not able to think for himself at that moment of time or got carried away or was brainwashed in blunt sense. Society can only be progressive if it learns to think for itself and not get carried away by media or govt which always look for diverting real issues and taking shortcuts. If we so progressive we wont have been ruled by so many illiterate politicians, you may accept the reality or not its your choice.
@firearm12, most people including us make critical decisions based on our emotions not always on what evidence is in front of us. This applies to harmful behaviours as also to choices of politicians we vote for.
Logic and reason are always trumped by emotional appeals.
As you have pointed out this is human nature…
Clever marketers and charismatic politicians everywhere (even uneducated ones sometimes) realise this and use this.
We need both good evidence and well constructed emotional appeals to convince people to act on climate change.

BTW, I just now read this article that says we have a 12,000 crore budget to tackle air pollution!!!
And …Airsheds?

Last edited:
Endogamy does seem to have health effects associated

Why worried so much.
I think ancient Indians were aware of things and Gotra system is still going strong.

"A CCMB study published in Nature Genetics on Monday found that out of 263 unique South Asian groups studied, around 81 have a large number of recessive diseases."
Why blame Indians due to study conducted on south Asians?

Are you talking about the snowflakes that call the other side fools, hypocrites, etc & that hate their own ethnicity or the ones that get called SJWs regardless? Either way, these comments do nothing but get validation from like-minded people. But if its what makes you sleep at night, you're free to do so. There's things I could've also called the conservatives here that would've been more offensive yet true but i wouldn't want to provoke anybody.

People can scream with their whataboutery all they want talking about food, transport,etc but you're not convincing anybody and that explains the growing backlash against crackers. And that makes me very happy.

nice. The past surveys are in line with this too even if not entirely accurate. Can't wait to watch the yearly progress with all of you for almost a century I've left. :-D

Simply googled the phrase and gave my honest opinion based on the definition provided by Google.

SJWs having an issue with the term SJW only proves beyond a shadow of a doubt they are SJWs. Their vocal irritation of issues that don't align with their beliefs makes me very happy.

Why worried so much.
I think ancient Indians were aware of things and Gotra system is still going strong.
Why blame Indians due to study conducted on south Asians?
Clearly you haven't read the paper. The article linked didn't form its own judgements. Majority of the study participants were infact Indians. The study was Hyderabad based and was intended to help our countrymen.

People can still practice endogamy if they want, it's their loss. Those specific diseases talked about in the paper are extremes which could more easily be measured. With the practical evidence on endogamy that already exists from the West, it's clear that endogamy has clear effects on physical health and cognition. Ofcourse there's a lot that plays into here like cultural, dietary & lifestyle factors but it's something to be aware of.

Fortunately modern educated Indians think caste system is weird af so it'll be done with at some point anyway, just a matter of when.

Simply googled the phrase and gave my honest opinion based on the definition provided by Google.

SJWs having an issue with the term SJW only proves beyond a shadow of a doubt they are SJWs.

Oh no, you misunderstood. I replied cause I failed to get why you'd think we'd be offended when me,OP,etc didn't even support the blanket ban and it's only the conservatives seeking constant validation from a handful of people by "owning the hypocrite SJWs" who dare run their ACs during summer. It puts me at peace your side would never convince the growing number of people that want a blanket ban like in those surveys. It's alright man, I don't mind you calling me a SJW ^^

Their vocal irritation of issues that don't align with their beliefs makes me very happy.

I'm not sure I understand, why would their irritation make you happy?

I meant that it makes me very happy to see progress, people caring to do something no matter how little it might be & it could be about anything, not just crackers. I sincerely hope you burst crackers & have a great Diwali, until it lasts. Us evil SJWs will eventually come for you and steal your joy at some point anyway /s

Last edited:
I will indeed enjoy my Diwali with crackers,food,family and AC (and whatever else I please).

You type a lot of words without saying much, a hallmark of a SJW indeed.

If the argument is about crackers alone then of course they produce harmful gases but then so does driving a car , lighting a cigarette , burning wood in fireplace or for that matter living in a house with multiple ACs.

However what needs to be called out in this country is clear case of targeting a certain community and it's identity and culture under such pretexts for crackers are clearly being used and in fact promoted during VIP parties, IPL, New Years eve and a bunch of other events .

It's high time that people of the targeted community come together and openly call this nonsense for what it is i.e. a systematic attack on culture and way of life of bharatiyas . We are a tolerant culture we do not command people to live in a certain way or celebrate festivals in a certain way , however that doesn't give a long rope to deracinated people or folks from other faiths to dictate how to practice our culture , for we do not lecture others on how to practice theirs.

Last edited:
I will indeed enjoy my Diwali with crackers,food,family and AC (and whatever else I please).
And I'd be happy for you & other members who buy & encourage bursting a truckload of crackers just to own the SJWs too.

You type a lot of words without saying much, a hallmark of a SJW indeed.
Bruh. me, Analogous and few others literally said we didn't want a blanket ban. Why are you hellbent on insisting that some random dudes with slightly differing views are offended SJWs? LOL. It doesn't bother me, but I find it interesting.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back