So, what can we do to reduce noise, pollution this Deepavali/Diwali?

The judiciary does not pass judgement of their own accord. There is something filed before them which they have to judge and pass judgement on. They then pass a judgement on the merits of the arguments for and against
Not true with all PILs. Crackers is a classic case where the judgement is not passed on the basis of a stronger argument at all. Often it is the whims and fantasies of the man on the bench, also influenced by a political dictum.

It is often funny that on issues which do not have a strong legal base, one court uphold while a higher court reverses.

Not true with all PILs. Crackers is a classic case where the judgement is not passed on the basis of a stronger argument at all. Often it is the whims and fantasies of the man on the bench, also influenced by a political dictum.

It is often funny that on issues which do not have a strong legal base, one court uphold while a higher court reverses.
As long as there are humans taking decisions and disputing decisions and doing post mortems, this will almost always happen. We have to accept and deal with it.

As long as there are humans taking decisions and disputing decisions and doing post mortems, this will almost always happen. We have to accept and deal with it.
This is acceptable when it comes to disputes between 2 or more persons which then goes through its legal recourse, the introduction of PIL has been blatantly misused and the judges have to stomp it down and only allow genuine ones to be filed.

When a PIL is filed against a custom that has been followed for thousands of years and allowed constitutionally as well, no bench of a small band of judges cannot decide on the recourse as they have zero qualification for that.

Such incidences should be left to an expert committee which takes in the voices of the people to arrive at one-time judgement and bring it to force though an amendment passed in the parliament.

The Jallikattu case was a classic example where the court had no right to pass judgement based on a PIL and forcing a unwanted fiasco for a month in entire Tamilbadu, and allowing jokers like Arnab and the other media megalomaniacs and politicians to have a free run for a month.
It was a State protocol and should have been addressed to an expert panel comprising of representatives of all factions to study and take a call.

The other one that comes to mind is the Sabarimala PIL case.

When a PIL is filed against a custom that has been followed for thousands of years and allowed constitutionally as well, no bench of a small band of judges cannot decide on the recourse as they have zero qualification for that.
If you are referring to firecrackers then this is incorrect. They were brought to India in the 1400's by the Mongols - so less than the singular 1000 years old and far from the plural 1000's!
Also, it was only in the 18th century that they began being used in Diwali celebrations by the elite and ruling class. :)

If you are referring to firecrackers then this is incorrect. They were brought to India in the 1400's by the Mongols - so less than the singular 1000 years old and far from the plural 1000's!
Also, it was only in the 18th century that they began being used in Diwali celebrations by the elite and ruling class. :)
Whatever, been on for thousand years now, warrants that two judges have no power to decide on it constitutionally.
I have not gone into the history of crackers, but someone earlier pointed it has been referred in Ramayana...so that is many eons back

Novelist Amish Tripathi rightly said...

“One can’t say that firecrackers were used when Lord Ram came back to Ayodhya,” Amish says, adding, “However, traditions and rituals do change over time. For example, Santa Claus was not a part of ancient Christmas celebrations; but today, Santa Claus is very much a part of Christmas festivities. Similarly, maybe crackers weren’t a part of Diwali celebrations in the ancient times, but today they certainly are.”

“One can’t say that firecrackers were used when Lord Ram came back to Ayodhya,” Amish says, adding, “However, traditions and rituals do change over time. For example, Santa Claus was not a part of ancient Christmas celebrations; but today, Santa Claus is very much a part of Christmas festivities. Similarly, maybe crackers weren’t a part of Diwali celebrations in the ancient times, but today they certainly are.”
A novelist is hardly a source of fact. I might as well quote Chetan Bhagat. :rolleyes:
But he is right. :cool:

Whatever, been on for thousand years now, warrants that two judges have no power to decide on it constitutionally.
I have not gone into the history of crackers, but someone earlier pointed it has been referred in Ramayana...so that is many eons back
Surprisingly, in spite of that we were busy using only iron/steel melee implements in warfare all along, until "outsiders" introduced them.
Wow, we were that macho!

Amish Tripathi , definitely have, done a lot of research for his Rama Trilogy.
Also, Tripathi has to his credit a non-fiction book, Immortal India, and also wrote Dharma: Decoding the Epics for a Meaningful Life. I think he is knowledgeable to the extent.

All this history as introduced by colonial mindsets, right from AIT is now falling apart with new evidences. The correction is to the tune of thousands of years. Evidences are all across the branches of science, oceaonology, climatology, genealogy, astronomy, geology, palaeontology, so many...
May not be in our life time, but there will be new History of our history in time to come.

My Diwali Arsenal; restricted myself to non-noise making ones, except one (moderate noise). The vendor assured me these are toxic chemical-free and charged a premium. I hope Mother Nature will forgive me... :)

WhatsApp Image 2021-11-02 at 8.30.34 AM.jpeg

Please please, pretty please

Can the admin or mods of this thread make it compulsory for all proponents of the ban on firecrackers due to sound and noise pollution to write in their posts

The make of their car and number of kms they drive in a year

The number of air conditioners they run at home and office

The full details of their current music system, country of manufacture and the distance it traveled from the factory to their house

The size of their rooms, speakers and output of their amps

The hypocrisy of these SJW will be exposed when the pollution they have added to their environment will beat any that firecrackers add one week in a year

What about

Saving water
Saving trees and forests
Saving animals
Saving food
Pollution through unnecessary running vehicles
Pollution through factories
Population control

its a pity that people are starting to feel guilty these days by just burning firecrackers. Does someone really feel that pollution will get controlled if firecrackers are banned for one day. I pity those people. I would like to meet those persons and pay my humble respect.

this all started when NGT opened up its silly mouth when pollution levels started to become alarming in the delhi region. I would like to ask NGT who destroyed Yamuna and what they have done to protect it. They could not do any action against people burning stubble around Delhi, found that banning firecrackers was easy. Indian people are really easiest to be made fools, no wonder every Tom dick and Harry ruled upon us for thousand of years.

My Diwali Arsenal; restricted myself to non-noise making ones, except one (moderate noise). The vendor assured me these are toxic chemical-free and charged a premium. I hope Mother Nature will forgive me... :)

View attachment 63646

View attachment 63646

If mother nature can forgive the pollution from factories, the slaughtering of animals (some to extinction), the pollution of cars etc then she can surely be favorable to your plight, my friend.

Does anybody here support a blanket ban on crackers? My post doesn't, the OP and a few others specifically said they didn't support it either so I don't understand the hate against them though they're kinda on your side. Google surveys on this and you'll find many that just want an outright ban.

Are we seriously calling members of this forum SJWs or hypocrites or fools or sanctimonious or that you pity them, etc "indirectly" for slightly differing views on crackers in this thread? That fragile? Let's try to keep it civil.

In any case, I don't own a car, never plan on getting one. I use an AC during summer, I live in one of the most humid parts of the country. Shouldn't have to state the obvious but there's studies out there that prove it helps with cognition & productivity & sleep. Would you choose between AC or crackers in a hot & humid area if you only had to choose one?

I use electronics longer than average. Bought a used audio setup. I'm vegetarian. Didn't realise I was supposed to prove that I cared about food wastage and population control but yes I care about that too, don't plan on having kids. But if crackers give you that much joy, go ahead, knock yourself out. Just acknowledge that nobody is actively trying to make anybody feel guilty. Reminds me of meat eaters that complain vegans try to make them feel guilty & then call them names.

I have relatives & friends that use crackers and some that don't. I try to inform them so they could make a more informed decision if they "can", be it diet, lifestyle choices, etc. If they dont, well I still love them. But if name-calling makes you feel better and sleep at night, not stopping you.

Is the backlash against crackers greater this year than previous years? If the answer is yes, it doesn't matter what I'm called or if my views are laughed at. I'll be happy to see even more backlash next year, it could be about anything, not just crackers.

"Indian people are really easiest to be made fools, no wonder every Tom dick and Harry ruled upon us for thousand of years."

Idk if you're serious but Indians aren't any more foolish overall than people of any other nationality at any given time period when you adjust for confounding factors. The average Indian is more progressive & rational today than in the past like any other ethnicity & I could list numerous examples why. Being ruled has nothing to do with it either, you think Indians are inherently foolish for being ruled? Guess I'm in the minority here, but it shouldn't make you hate your ethnicity and call ourselves fools.

I had to google SJW.

Yes there are SJWs here, you can be "offended" (as "SJWs" easily are and very vocal about it I might add) but it is the truth. My opinion won't change, no matter how hard someone screams. As always everyone is entitled to their views, this is mine.

The captain of our cricket team has taken over this task. So we are in safe handles.
No need for us to discuss on this topic. Let's enjoy music :)

While on the issue of opinion and actual behaviour:

2 in 3 families won’t burn crackers this Diwali, but 53% don’t support ban, says survey​

And a clear account of the purpose of the COP26 event; What is the Glasgow climate conference and why is it important?

Last edited:
2 in 3 families won’t burn crackers this Diwali, but 53% don’t support ban, says survey
First of all, one cannot trust such surveys % predictions as their sample size and coverage/geography is so limited for the vast variety of Indian populace.
However from the trend they have published, we can see, some important aspects regd India & our people get buttressed.

1. Hinduism has no single specific scripture/God/Guru etc. So people follow what they feel is generally good (its democratic). They will oppose any unsubstantiated bindings even if it is not affecting them. (the spirit of SarveApi Sukhinah Bhavantu.)

2. Not supporting ban indicates, general opposition to hegemony. No wonder many cultures developed, religions patronized/accepted by the residents of this great country. (Diversity)

3. Not burning crackers indicates acceptance to change, adaptability and readiness to change even in most personal matters. Acceptance of Hindu Code bill of 1955 is another great example of this.

4. Self driven cultures keep going continuously even if they face adversities. But Once this self-driving force is disturbed, you will see collapse of many social institutions in our society. Thats why our laws should be in consonance with our cultural ethos and should not be based on foreign ideas which are almost incompatible.

And a clear account of the purpose of the COP26 event; What is the Glasgow climate conference and why is it important?
BTW, China & Russia did skip this.
It shows difference between the communist mindsets and Indian mindset. Many of us remember chipko andolan by poor peasant women. It happened in 1973 in UP by as well as in 1730 by Bishnois. There was no oncept of Global warming then. But dtill we did it.
Indians who treat planet Earth as Mother Earth and world as a family, will always be taking care of these things.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back