so.. whats in a Naim ?

No brickbats!

You never know unless you try. So it's good that you're going to try more.

Old thread.. I know.. But might be beneficial to Naim owners as well.

The mains plug on the Naim Nait 5i-2 power cord had P and N in reverse as compared to the P and N on the mains socket.

Maybe it's a UK type plug that's why.

Corrected this... For whatever it's worth.

You may want to check this on your amplifier too.

Regards
Mpw

Mpw , May i know how did you correct it - By changing P & N in the main socket ( or) by changing the power cord .

Vijwilso

Used a tester to check the mains glow

Connected P to that point

In short changed in the wires in the Naim power cord plug

Mpw

its been exactly 5 years today for the Naim nait 5i-2

Given my music habits of about 2 hours per day on average for 4.5 days a week and 5 years will put it at approx 2340 hours of running..

which is wonderful... trouble free absolutely..

maybe one of the reasons why the Naim build quality and its utter reliability is well worth the investment.

its still chugging on - playing Charlie Haden in the background as i type this..

:)

sometimes i do wonder what a new amp will do in my rig but i fear :eek: that i may spend more and worse still take a backward step..

There are other amps out there that are supposedly better but 2400 hours of music without a breakdown is quite a feat given the dust the amp is exposed to..

cheers to the Green eyed monster !!

regards

its been exactly 5 years today for the Naim nait 5i-2

Given my music habits of about 2 hours per day on average for 4.5 days a week and 5 years will put it at approx 2340 hours of running..

which is wonderful... trouble free absolutely..

maybe one of the reasons why the Naim build quality and its utter reliability is well worth the investment.

its still chugging on - playing Charlie Haden in the background as i type this..

:)

sometimes i do wonder what a new amp will do in my rig but i fear :eek: that i may spend more and worse still take a backward step..

There are other amps out there that are supposedly better but 2400 hours of music without a breakdown is quite a feat given the dust the amp is exposed to..

cheers to the Green eyed monster !!

regards

Thanks for this post.
Is there a minimum source,cables,amp,spkr requirement to step into the world of Naim?
Here is the situation Located at a midsize apartment hall . At this time the source is ipad (Saavn pro app_)>Dragon Fly Black (new ver) > CA651A amp > Triangle Spkr (2way/Bookshelf/89 or 90DB). No plans to go the LP way .
Is there any advantage in replacing the amp with 5si or the whole chain needs to be changed to get any tangible /perceived benefit.?

Thanks for this post.
Is there a minimum source,cables,amp,spkr requirement to step into the world of Naim?
Here is the situation Located at a midsize apartment hall . At this time the source is ipad (Saavn pro app_)>Dragon Fly Black (new ver) > CA651A amp > Triangle Spkr (2way/Bookshelf/89 or 90DB). No plans to go the LP way .
Is there any advantage in replacing the amp with 5si or the whole chain needs to be changed to get any tangible /perceived benefit.?

a home audition is the best option..

The Naim Nait 5si is a very capable amp and i see no issues driving your speakers in a mid sized room

but the music output and the flavor are a personal taste and there nobody can help you except you - via an audition

I think source first is the way to go - i would try a better source ( DAC ) into your CA amp first of all and judge the improvement.

PS : My Sources are non-Naim - if that helps.

regards

Be careful! I upgraded from a ca651a to Naim 5si. Finally ended up upgrading the whole chain!
Whats the approx min viable cable,spkr to just get there into naim world..5Si s there on hifimart.Not sure if i get any audition bglr.

a home audition is the best option..

The Naim Nait 5si is a very capable amp and i see no issues driving your speakers in a mid sized room

but the music output and the flavor are a personal taste and there nobody can help you except you - via an audition

I think source first is the way to go - i would try a better source ( DAC ) into your CA amp first of all and judge the improvement.

PS : My Sources are non-Naim - if that helps.

regards
I used to have maverick,schiit modi before moving to the simple form factor of dragonfly (new black ver.) Not sure if iam going to change this..

I used to have maverick,schiit modi before moving to the simple form factor of dragonfly (new black ver.) Not sure if iam going to change this..

Naim is a very resolving amp. You would need more than dragonfly to find what it's capable of. It's very sensitive to rca cables as well. For speaker cables, naca5 is the preffered to stick with. To get best out of naim, all Naim setup is recommended but if you have that kind of money. So a good dac and selecting appropriate cables is must. I won't suggest any delta Sigma dacs as they tend to accentuate the brightness. A naim amp has a very different musical presentation than any other thats very involving, though it doesn't have the so called 3d like soundstage, sound is almost flat coming from a wall. Some may call It bright with less bass but if one listen carefully everything is there. I find it perfect for live recordings especially. It throws music in the air and listener does not have to do much effort to listen. Some like it and some hate it, but once you like it there's not much in the audio world you would like more. That's why it has a cult following. For me, it was like the the sound grows up on you as you listen more to it. Not just for music, even movies sound fantastic even though two channel only. Only Naim is capable of what naim can do. If you like dark and fast sounding amp, you will like naim.

I recoded this last year on my setup. YouTube is not a good medium and all setups are different but you will get a hang of what sound can you expect from naim.

Naim is a very resolving amp. You would need more than dragonfly to find what it's capable of. It's very sensitive to rca cables as well. For speaker cables, naca5 is the preffered to stick with. To get best out of naim, all Naim setup is recommended but if you have that kind of money. So a good dac and selecting appropriate cables is must. I won't suggest any delta Sigma dacs as they tend to accentuate the brightness. A naim amp has a very different musical presentation than any other thats very involving, though it doesn't have the so called 3d like soundstage, sound is almost flat coming from a wall. Some may call It bright with less bass but if one listen carefully everything is there. I find it perfect for live recordings especially. It throws music in the air and listener does not have to do much effort to listen. Some like it and some hate it, but once you like it there's not much in the audio world you would like more. That's why it has a cult following. For me, it was like the the sound grows up on you as you listen more to it. Not just for music, even movies sound fantastic even though two channel only. Only Naim is capable of what naim can do. If you like dark and fast sounding amp, you will like naim.

I recoded this last year on my setup. YouTube is not a good medium and all setups are different but you will get a hang of what sound can you expect from naim.

IMO - the resolution of a Naim or any amp depends on the source as well and thats why the source first theory.

Speaker cable - try klotz LY240. I have a 1.8 meter pair ( spare ) with me and i can send that to you for a A-B. The Naca5 is good too for naim amps and many folks use it. I used to as well.

IMO - the most important part of any amp is the power supply and not even the wattage o/p. Thats why the power supply options from Naim and many other manufacturers as well.

I dont justify their marketing nor criticize.

fact is - if you want to listen to more - you must pay more as well. ( unless one is buying used stuff ) :D

what floats ones boat and what budget can one afford is the name of the name IMO.

regards

fact is - if you want to listen to more - you must pay more as well. ( unless one is buying used stuff ) :D
regards

True in all forms. I feel naim prices are good for the value and the sound quality they offer. What pisses off most people really is the wattage of their amps. No one wanna put so much money on a 60w or 70w amplifier. Their top of the line nap500dr price 20000pounds is rated 140w per channel. I am sure it would put to shame any amp on the market but wonder how they rate the wattage for their amps.

its been a while since i updated this thread..

Its also been more than a fortnight now that i have been using a Naim SuperNait 2

regards
mpw

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back