so.. whats in a Naim ?

The SN1 was the amp with the dac feature in the same chassis.

The SN2 is only an amplifier.

Congrats Mahesh...It is a solid amplifier even without the inbuilt DAC... The fact that Naim removed the DAC section means they must have improved the amplifier over the previous one...

I have heard the SuperNait with the inbuilt DAC when I had a Naim XS and was looking to upgrade...Drove the Harbeths very well in the showroom at Adelphi...

I heard the SN2 with Harbeth 30.2 and PMC 25.21

I thought the Harbeths were too new and so was the amplifier.

The PMC was more likeable... Some call it "colour "

Regards

The ls50 are amazing speakers from what I hear. I don't own a Naim maybe the enthusiasts who own a Naim can comment.

will they pair well with kef ls50 or something else u would like to recommend ..
The Naim can drive the LS50s well. Whether you will like the pairing is something only you can decide. My recommendation would be to listen to a pair of LS50 speakers before buying them. Their sound is different.

The SN2 has about 150 hours on it now and is turning out quite well. My system is is most at home playing jazz music.

The Merlin's are quite phenomenal with jazz.

Not to say they are not so good with rock music or modern Bollywood..

The speakers are enjoying availability of more headroom on tap

Haven't played too much of Hindustani Classical or music with emphasis on vocals simply because these days the mood is for jazz

On well recorded discs... The experience is quite nice

As the amplifier runs in some more I have some minor tweaks / experiments which will hopefully tune things some more.

I also want to play old Hindi music on vinyl and see how it goes...

This seems insane but I have ordered a pair of Mogami 2497 to connect the SN2 sub out to the subwoofer inputs..

I don't know if it will make a difference and to what extent...

Let's see..

Hi
This seems insane but I have ordered a pair of Mogami 2497 to connect the SN2 sub out to the subwoofer inputs..

I don't know if it will make a difference and to what extent...

Let's see..
Please share your feedback, planning to upgrade as well.

Hi Drgb

I havent heard the Naim Dac V1.

I see from other posts that you want a headphone amplifier too.. and that you are located out of our homeland.

But other FM's might have something to share if you start a new thread.

In this thread your query is buried under 213 earlier posts ;)

@mpw: Thats quite right sir! Will surely do that. I wanted to know if the dac part of the DAC V1 was any good in comparison to other dacs in its price range.
Not many public reviews out there too.

This is a copy paste from the naim forum and it explains very well - why folks love the naim sound ( and why Naim sound may not be for everybody )

Question:
I'm curious as you move higher up the Naim family tree, do you get more detail and PRaT or do you also get more of the Soundstage, Depth, Imagery etc.​
You asked a compound question. I suppose more detail (resolution) is a given, otherwise why would folks upgrade? As for PRaT, that's inherent in Naim's DNA and can be garnered from any level of gear. Maybe the 'sophistication' of the PRaT increases up the ladder as you gain resolution? OTOH, soundstage, depth and imagery are not necessarily fortes of the Naim sound. Not that you can't glean these attributes, just that Naim may be flatter compared to many other manufacturers.
I think Naim is about accuracy of replay and for some this is paramount. For my own part I've found a level of replay accuracy blended with greater hi-fi aspects of soundstage, depth, and imagery suits me better, along with a bump to the warm side of neutral. Hence I have a combination of Naim and other makers in my system.
For your part, it sounds as if a flatter presentation suits your odd-shaped room, so welcome to the world of Naim. Word of caution is that it's not necessarily a straight to the top ladder with Naim and their upgrades. There are worthy branches or sidesteps to be considered along the way.

========================================================================================

Last evening a 6 hour music session from 7 PM to 1 AM ( mid of Germany - Sweden match )- tells its story.

Am enjoying the music..

Thank you.

so here is my system....

Philips CD750 - CD player
Akai AP D30 Turntable
Nagaoka MP30 cart
Lehmann Audio SE2 PWX - phono
Naim Supernait 2
Belden 8402 i/c's
Klotz LY240 speaker cables
Merlin TSM MMM BME standmount speakers
Soundfoundations Stands ( filled ) - made just for me ( the stand pipes are 3.5 inch dia each )
Sealed subwoofer with Dayton RSS265-HF4 driver and Hypex DS4 plate amplifier on
SVS Soundpath - isolation feet

what you dont see is lots of music....both on vinyl and CD

Nothing in comparison to what other music aficionados possess..but nevertheless...

IMG_1528.JPG

My rig is placed in the hall which is 1 side ( right side ) open so that brings its own acoustic challenges and i have to reconcile that i might not be able to move in a direction to work on my room...

sometimes the Bengal tiger turns back and fondly looks at the painting of the forest and wishes it could jump back into the forest ;)...but thats all that it does... its a harmless loveable tiger :)

Dusty wants to fly too but - its grounded...as it has just enough weight to add to the bass emanating from the subwoofer..:D

@mpw Great looking setup! i can imagine why Naim gets the respect.
I had recently gone to audition the Focal Kanta N2 speakers, the dealer had it hooked up to The F-05 Esoteric Integrated, i found the setup very good, but a bit too warm & too bit mellow from what i'm used to and to my preference of music. i thought that perhaps the Kantas are a bit on the mellow slide.
The only other amplifier that the dealer had ready for hook-up was the Naim Uniti Star, and boy what a change the sound took, it was agile fast and punchy - PRAT in a nutshell.
The only caveat was, i thought that the dynamic range was restricted, and the speakers could easily do more, i guess that is what moving up the Naim ladder to more powerful amps can solve.
Side note - I am a fan of the Naim streamer APP, its the only control APP besides Roon, that i've found usable

@mpw Great looking setup! i can imagine why Naim gets the respect.
I had recently gone to audition the Focal Kanta N2 speakers, the dealer had it hooked up to The F-05 Esoteric Integrated, i found the setup very good, but a bit too warm & too bit mellow from what i'm used to and to my preference of music. i thought that perhaps the Kantas are a bit on the mellow slide.
The only other amplifier that the dealer had ready for hook-up was the Naim Uniti Star, and boy what a change the sound took, it was agile fast and punchy - PRAT in a nutshell.
The only caveat was, i thought that the dynamic range was restricted, and the speakers could easily do more, i guess that is what moving up the Naim ladder to more powerful amps can solve.
Side note - I am a fan of the Naim streamer APP, its the only control APP besides Roon, that i've found usable

thank you..

Post no 217 sums it up as far as dynamic range and design choices made by Naim

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back